1924 Model T Roadster

Guest colerae

Guest colerae

Have a gentleman that has a 1924 Model "T" Roadster that he is looking to see what it might be worth. He has a price on the Roadster from Old Cars Price Guide. His is a one door and he was wondering if there was a price difference on a one door and a two door? He was told the one door is rare. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Guest AlCapone

I also have a 1924 Midel T one door, commonly referred to as a Doctors Roadster. I do not believe they are rare and they are not expensive! I bought mine totally restored with motor rebuilt, new tires, top and paint for less than 10K, There is a very limited market for a Model T. Wayne

Guest AlCapone

My pleasure, of course! I have a significant collection but I have never got comfortable driving the three pedal T. Many people say it is a blast, but not for me. Drive it before you buy it!

Wayne

LOL Wayne.

Interestingly among my friends are two licensed pilots both of whom always wanted to drive a model T.

Both of them got the opportunity to give it a shot with my '19 Touring T.

Honestly, from the looks on both of their faces, you'd have thought a wing had fallen off of their aircrafts at 6000 feet........  :blink:

I laugh every time II think about them........but they got their wishes.......  :D

Guest AlCapone

LOL Wayne.

Interestingly among my friends are two licensed pilots both of whom always wanted to drive a model T.

Both of them got the opportunity to give it a shot with my '19 Touring T.

Honestly, from the looks on both of their faces, you'd have thought a wing had fallen off of their aircrafts at 6000 feet........  :blink:

I laugh every time II think about them........but they got their wishes.......  :D

It Likely wold have been easier for you to drive the airplane ! Wayne

One door Model T Roadsters are rare?  Made for 20 years in the USA, all with one door, on the passenger side.  I've been told that the two door ones are Canadian in manufacture.  Reason is, Henry thought with the parking brake lever on the left, getting in and out on that side was not only dangerous but very awkward, plus it saved production costs.  Remember the old practice if entering & exiting a motor vehicle on the curb side?  Door locks were on the right side only in early cars for that reason.

I think the two door Model T Roadster is the rare one.

Most likely when the sides were added to the front of T's Henry was simply trying to save costs by just having one door.  When dad build his metal Depot Hack on a 24, he fabricated a left door, and I can tell you it's a bit tricky sliding past the brake lever and under the wheel while clearing the roof and body.

Canada drove on the left until 1920 so that meant getting into the car on the left side which obviously required an opening left side door.   I believe all cars shipped to British Commonwealth countries from Canada (Commonwealth preference) were built with two opening doors since all of them were(are) driving on the left.  

Terry     

...I have never got comfortable driving the three pedal T. Many people say it is a blast, but not for me. Drive it before you buy it!            Wayne

Our AACA region's annual show includes a few people

who give Model T rides.  They even let others drive them,

giving them lessons in operating the T's on a dirt track.

An interesting experience, and definitely different!

Supposedly with practice, the Model T is easy to drive.

I find its pedal positions awkward and cramped for a tall person,

so as others said, definitely try out the cars first!

Several HCCA multi-day tours are offering Model T driving lessons for women.  On the New England Brass and Gas tour last year, I gave the granddaughter of a past National Club President some parking lot lessons in my '13 T.  She had been navigating for her grandpa, didn't know how to drive even a stick shift, and had never driven an antique.  She did very well, so I said:  "Go tell your grandpa that he needs another navigator tomorrow.  You're coming with me, and I'm going to navigate."  The next day she drove that T 93 miles on Massachusetts roads.  She's now a convert, and her grandpa is delighted.  Don't knock Model Ts.  If you want to tour in early cars, they're the most hoot for the buck you can imagine.

Certain Provinces in Canada, not all. did drive on the left until the early 1920's at which time they all drove on the right. The reason for the two doors was that tariffs were cheaper from another Commonwealth country thus the same body could be outfitted with either side controls for export from the Ford plant in Walkerville, Ontario, (now known as Windsor).

Just like driving a stick shift, after awhile, the three pedals (plus, the combination clutch/emergency brake, choke/mixture rod, hand throttle and retard/advance hand control) becomes second nature.

After a ride with me, a pilot friend of mine said it was more complicated to drive the T than a small plane.

I loved having it except, where I live, I began to feel it was dangerous driving uphills and accelerating so slowly. Emergency stops are real exciting!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAMm9x4QQE4

Edited by Dwight Romberger (see edit history)

Thanks for posting that video.  Before looking at your location, I suspected it was in my old backyard and just before the road signs came up, it looked like the road we took to Kempton and it's annual flea market.  And then you turned at Lynnville, which was Sterling Zimmerman's home base. (another Model T man)

• Like 1

I think driving a T is quite a bit easier than a similar era non-synchro gear box.  You don't grind any gears with the T.  Just push that left pedal down to downshift, let it up for high gear.  The middle pedal, being for reverse can be ignored most of the time (although it can also be used a break when moving forward). 

Guest AlCapone

Driving a Model T isn't THAT much different than driving a golf cart.

Practice with the hand lever straight up until you get comfortable with the pedals.......THEN open it up........it's not like you're going to go anywhere fast....... LOL

Nothing different except, at the end of one there is fun, laughter, celebration and fun. Whereas at the end of the other there may well be doctors, stitches and broken bones ! NIce try Mr. Cahartley. Wayne

Nothing different except, at the end of one there is fun, laughter, celebration and fun. Whereas at the end of the other there may well be doctors, stitches and broken bones ! NIce try Mr. Cahartley. Wayne

I'm confused , how does one get stitches and broken bones playing golf? :D

• Like 1

Full contact, Canadian, golf. It's going to replace MMA as the next blood sport

Guest AlCapone

We take our golf seriously! In da north country we play da golf with frozen balls! Wayne Edited by AlCapone (see edit history)