Fueling Issue

Paul Falabella

Minor issue. Whenever I gas up, fuel splashes up out of the tank filler when the pump clicks off. Doesn't matter if it is the kind of pump with the rubber splash guard or not. I have found if I cut the top of a 1/2 gal. milk jug,and put it in the opening(see pic), it at least keeps the gas inside the 1/4 panel and not on the paint. Doesn't matter how I try to regulate the pump when it is near full, I still get a splash. The tank was out years ago to be boiled and sealed. Don't think they messed with the neck.Anyone else have this problem? If so what's the solution? 

Thanks

post-97046-0-93512500-1441307996_thumb.j

My '54 does the same thing, even with the fancy gas pump hoses we use in California, though not to the point of getting on the exterior paint.  Since the tank is so low, and the filler pipe so high up, it is hard to anticipate when the tank is getting full.  And before you know it, you get a burb of gas coming out. 

With the vapor recovery fuel fillers, you probably can't hear the gurgling that comes a little before "the splash" (or 5563's description).

Might help to maximize nozzle interaction, if possible.  The nozzle clicks off due to "backpressure" of sorts AND all nozzles are not exactly the same as to their sensitivity to backflow getting ready to happen.  Many pumps can deliver up to 3 gals/minute at "wide open", but some might run slower on the first click of the nozzle.  I've found some so sensitive that I had to carefully modulate them to even get fuel in the tank!

I'm wondering about any venting of the tank causing faster "reflux" of the fuel?

NTX5467

That's an interesting way to keep the paint off the gas.  Like the others, I listen closely for the change in pitch as the tank reaches full. I even tried stopping the pump, counting to ten and then going slowly till full, but it's near impossible to stop that burp. 

For you young fellers out there (and gals), this all got worse in the mid 1970's with the introduction of unleaded gas and the smaller nozzle that was designed to be introduced into a restricted filler neck on the car.  I like Paul's idea.  I modified a gas cap to do the same thing, but lost it.  I don't drink milk...wonder if a beer can can be modified?

Willie

• Like 1

For you young fellers out there (and gals), this all got worse in the mid 1970's with the introduction of unleaded gas and the smaller nozzle that was designed to be introduced into a restricted filler neck on the car. I like Paul's idea. I modified a gas cap to do the same thing, but lost it. I don't drink milk...wonder if a beer can can be modified?

Willie

I'm on the case now!

Edited by buick5563 (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Sounds like a fueling condom is in order here which could be asserted over the nozzle itself to ensure " safe fueling ".  

buickman envisions one with expansive yet sensitive bellow like appendages encircling along a location somewhere " mid shaft " to help with the eventual eruption something like a chin bib protecting exposed areas what with the eventual coming of the gas load burp.

In these parts up here, the milk jugs (which Old-Tank doesn't use) are pert-near the same as those gallon jugs of water, even the fancier "spring" or "sparkling" versions of the contents).  THOSE can be had for less than a full $1.00 bill!

(How is 5563 disposing of those hydrocarbonized "rags"???  Send me a PM)

From an engineering perspective . . . the gasoline pumps (at least in TX, where the pumps are certified to be accurate at 3 gal/minute flow rate), even well before the smaller diameter fuel nozzles were even thought about, the point of a smaller, faster rate of exit of the fuel from the smaller nozzle is logical, when compared to the larger nozzle we used to have for gasoline.  BUT, the fuel filler pipes/necks going to the gas tank were also larger.  By the later-1970s model redesigns and downsizing, the size of those pipes/necs also became smaller in diameter, except possibly on pickup trucks.  Therefore, the faster-moving fuel from the smaller diameter nozzle would fill those smaller feed pipes/filler necks quicker than the prior larger pipes.  That would mean that the newer vehicles with their under-rear-seat fuel tank location should really geyser fuel out of the filler necks!  So what might keep that from happening?  Is it the design of the pipes?  The "roll-over valves" in the pipes leading to the fuel tank?

And . . . what did Chrysler do on their LX cars to make them so difficult to put gas in if the tank is less than 1/4 empty?  I know this is a Buick forum, but I mention that issue as a point of reference.  When I'd try to do a mileage check, if the tank was more than 1/4 empty, the filling went normally.  If it was less than 1/4 empty, I'd have to carefully modulate the nozzle just to keep it running. 

On my '77 Camaro, the filler neck has the baffled restrictor plug in it, but although that filler neck is behind the rear license plate and pretty much horizontal, compared to the fender-mounted filler necks on many older Buicks, I didn't really have an issue with "overflow" and I could still hear "the gurgle" right before the nozzle clicked off, just as on every other vehicle I've driven (including the middle 1960s to middle 1970s (design era) vehicles with the fuel filler behind the license plate in the rear bumper).

Gotta' be a reason!  I shall await 5563's findings . . .

NTX5467

Edited by NTX5467 (see edit history)

Willie and I talked about it and we want to find a can which fits over the filer tube, then drill a proper size hole with a uni-bit. Maybe put a small vent hole in it. I am seriously on this. I came up with a few cans last night (burp) but then put em in recycling.

Yay! Hippie card returns!!!

Edited by buick5563 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I do my best not to fill the tank completely or allowing the pump to stop pumping on it's own.   If my gauge is near empty I know the tank will take about 19 gallons.  I fill to that point and stop. No back of gas and spillage.    Half tank showing I will add 10 gallons. Etc.    

• Like 1

Did you forget the bailin' wire wrapped around it to hold it on, even though it's not for a Ford?  Or some chewin' gum for that "high tech" glue?  BUT . . . there's one KEY part we can't see . . . the method of sealing "the baffle" to the tank's filler neck, lest the burpin' fuel be deflected and spray down the filler neck?

NTX5467

Sealing the can to the tanks filler neck will guarantee a face full of gas. This approach does not stop the burp, just deflects it from the paint job. To stop the burp it appears the tank needs a vent from the top to the filler neck.