1936 Dodge D2 Convertible Sedan

Recently acquired the above car which was lying untouched for the last 77 years in a partly open shed. The car is intact but has weathered. Kindly help in sharing the manuals for the car. Does any one know how many of theses cars survive? Only 750 were built.

Best, Rahul

You can get a manual from Irv Bishko books. They have a website. There is really no way to determine exactly how many of those models exist. Since you have just found one, there could be more out there. They are fabulous cars and we need to see photos.

• Like 1

I know a man in Michigan that restored one and it appeared in an article of "Cars and Parts" back in the late "80"s. Don't know if he still has it or not. I'm sure they are a very expensive cars to restore properly and it's probably almost impossible to find certain parts.

• Like 1

The lowest production model by far of the '36's and a very rare find!   Never seen one in the flesh, and I'm no youngster.  Good and straight, condition appears to be not bad, rust always looks worse than it is on internet pictures.  I believe the trim, hubcaps, headlight  lens aren't indigenous to just this body style and shouldn't be difficult to locate.  The missing sidemount parts maybe tougher.  One of the best sources of mechanical data on cars of this era is the MoToR's Auto Repair Manual, any edition up through late '40's. They are inexpensive and easy to obtain.  Please keep us posted on this rare one..

• Like 1

Been a long time and my memory may be foggy but I remember reading somewhere that these were Chrysler bodies put on the less expensive Dodge chassis to generate sales. It also said when the corporate bean counters got wind of these they stopped production claiming they were loosing money on each one. I do remember being amazed that the entire interior was leather, not just the tops of the seats, and we are talking a lot of hides for this large interior.

Howard Dennis

WOW!! What a find. It looks as if this car has not been stripped or vandalized and most of the hard to find parts are there. I saw a beautifully restored black one a number of years ago at MOPARFEST in New Hamburg Ontario and had a chance to meet the owner. As keiser's pictures show, a gorgeous car!  Best of luck with your restoration :)

In my experience it's rare to find a convertible anything that doesn't have a leather interior. Upholstery fabric don't like to be rained on. Later, acceptable vinyls came into use, of course. There's a couple more pretty one on Google -- images:

https://www.google.com/search?q=1936+dodge+four+door+convertible&biw=1220&bih=648&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0CCAQsARqFQoTCOLp0PGX48cCFYwLkgod5PsIYw

https://www.google.com/search?q=1936+dodge+four+door+convertible&biw=1220&bih=648&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0CCAQsARqFQoTCOLp0PGX48cCFYwLkgod5PsIYw#tbm=isch&q=1936+dodge+convertible+sedan

Edited by Hudsy Wudsy (see edit history)

• 1 year later...
2 hours ago, countrytravler said:

As far as I can tell, no Chry components except the rear fenders maybe.

Having owned one of these which was one of 14 known survivors at the time and having removed the body from the frame I'm going to stick with my belief that this was a Chrysler body on a Dodge frame because the body had a sub frame between the floor of the body and the Dodge frame and not all of the mounting bolts passed through the floor, subframe and Dodge frame. Most did but some body bolt holes were into open air and not all the holes in the Dodge frame were filled with bolts. Also the subframe was an X shape as was the Dodge frame but the two X's did not line up perfectly as would a subframe originally designed to stiffen a body floor where it bolted to the frame.

Howard Dennis 

. I also have taken a 4 dr convert, 2 dr convert, a coupe and 4 dr sedan and I have also taken a 36 Chry coupe off the frames. mounts are simular but that is about it. Floors maybe. Really did not pay that much attention. Wish I had and taken pictures on the teardown. I did notice that the convert frames are different. 

I too failed to take pictures but I did have my convertible frame and a sedan frame nearby and failed to notice any major differences. Were there small differences, maybe but at the time I choose the best of the two. It was a long time ago and I may have missed minor differences. I do know if you Google images of 1936 through 1938 Dodge, Chrysler and Desoto convertible sedans the only differences seems to be from the firewall forward. When you look at a Dodge body compared to these others it makes no sense that something so similar visually would be manufactured differently from the others especially knowing how Chrysler Corp. shared so many parts among  the different divisions.

Howard Dennis

• Like 1

• 3 months later...