Tips for a first time car show

gregleck

If you have a trailer queen, there's no need to clean or detail your car at a show.  With that said, I don't see how anyone would have a problem with someone detailing/cleaning his car at a show.  If one needs to work off nervous energy by cleaning tire treads with a Q-Tip, well, that's O.K. too, but far more detailing than I'd ever do.

My cars don't need detailing, they need restoring,

Grog

I think the detail work should happen in the hotel parking lot or outside the show.   If you didn't stay at a hotel then you didn't travel far enough to warrant the car needing to be detailed again.

I have driven plenty of cars to shows and never take the detail stuff out of the trunk.  It seems pretentious.

Guest AlCapone

I think the detail work should happen in the hotel parking lot or outside the show.   If you didn't stay at a hotel then you didn't travel far enough to warrant the car needing to be detailed again.

I have driven plenty of cars to shows and never take the detail stuff out of the trunk.  It seems pretentious.

You and I are in total agreement. At a weekend show a guy pulls up in a trailered pickup, unloads it, immediately takes a small wooden box out of the trailer, placed it in the back of the truck and climbs up on it and starts polishing the roof! He got attention alright but not the kind he was looking for. Wayne

Guest AlCapone

Yea, those stones need something more substantial than a Q-tip.

My cars are drivers, if a guy wants to nit pick because I show bugs then he should get back in his Prius and go home.

I agree, let's have a beer together ! Wayne

it depends on how far the hotel is from the show. I would rather not detail the car at all. But if it gets dirty and looks terrible, then I will.

At one show, I had 2 cars at the hotel. Both were washed and detailed the night before the show. That night it poured the filthiest rain I have ever seen. Both cars looked like they had not been washed for a week. The morning of the show, I had to wash and detail 2 cars. But I can guarantee you I was not doing it for some sort of attention. However, I will never bring 2 cars to a show again. I don't need that much aggravation.

This is the first I have ever heard of it being a big issue to do a little detailing at a car show. I see it all the time and never gave it a second thought. It seems that the only ones that have a problem with it are 2 or 3 people on this forum. So I am not going to worry about their opinions. I certainly would rather see someone doing a little detailing at the show than look at and have to judge a filthy car.

Greg; All I can say is jump on in...the water's fine. There are all kinds and levels from small local shows to fine international concours. I have been priveledged to show my humble little cars in all but the absolute top and had fun at every level. You can get as much or as little out any show. If you sit on your chair and gripe about what people are doing, you won't have any fun. If however, you get up and talk to people about your car, what you did ,how

much fun it is, you will have a great time. I have been at the Hemmings concours a few times and have even been lucky enough to win an award or 2. I have been to a couple of their Saturday cruise ins also and they always bring a nice variety of cars also. I will be there on Sunday with 2 cars. the 51 Hotshot and the 47 Pickup. Both are AACA senior cars so the club will be represented as they usually are at most nice shows. Stop by and say hello!!! but get ready to have your ear bent!!!

I entered my 72 LTD in the Hemmings Show a few times when it was at Stratton Mtn., Vermont, but they moved it to Saratoga a few years ago and hold it a month later so I stopped going. It would mean 2 days on the road and two nights in a motel, money that I can use at Hershey which is just 2-3 weeks later. 

The only problem I have with detailing at a car show is that it prevents me from getting a decent photograph of the car. And, the owners are constantly wiping down only the hood (bonnet). I wait for them to finally bend over to get out of view and wipe the side of the car, but it seldom happens. Larry W

This is the first I have ever heard of it being a big issue to do a little detailing at a car show. I see it all the time... 

I don't think it really is an issue.

For me, I enjoy the driving experience,

and sharing the car with others.

While I like my cars as nice as possible,

I usually put a "Do Not Judge" sign on my car.

Guest AlCapone

I don't think it really is an issue.

For me, I enjoy the driving experience,

and sharing the car with others.

While I like my cars as nice as possible,

I usually put a "Do Not Judge" sign on my car.

I have the identical sign! Well said my friend ! Wayne Edited by AlCapone (see edit history)

Well, I am going to drive up there - 200 miles - and enjoy it.

I will bring a cloth and a few cleaning utensils to get the road dust off.  But after a quick wipe down, I'll get down to talking with other owners,

and enjoying the show.

One quick question - are the cars grouped by make and era, or are they all mixed in with every other car, regardless of year, make, or type?

post-148435-0-63754800-1441124848_thumb.

• 3 months later...

A little late, but I wanted to thank everyone for their suggestions.

I got on the road a half hour before daylight on a Friday morning to make the 200 mile trip up to Saratoga Springs.  I took all back roads - roads which existed in 1937 - and it was the best drive I ever had in my life.  Incredible scenery, and some great views - like crossing a bridge while early morning mist shrouded the banks of the river below.  Getting thumbs up from approaching motorcyclists and waves from other drivers was fun.  Driving down Saratoga Spring's main street, I spotted other vintage cars we would acknowledge each other.

The cruise-in car show, on the Saturday before the Concours, was incredible.  Scores of people, some quite knowledgeable, stopped to chat.  I had made a 3 foot by 2 foot poster will vintage illustrations of my model Buick's engine, interior, etc. and facts about the car, and a lot of people stopped to read it, as well as photograph the car itself.  I had a portable speaker and iPod playing tunes from the 1920s and 30s, while the trunk, which I propped open, had a set of vintage luggage, covered with vintage luggage labels.

No one was more surprised than me when a representative from Hemmings Motor News came by later and told me I was being awarded the Publisher's Choice award.

The concours the next day was great as well.

It was an incredible weekend I will always remember fondly.