Tips for a first time car show

gregleck

I am planning to drive my 1937 Buick about 200 miles to the Hemmings Concours in Saratoga Springs, NY.

The concours is on Sunday, which I will view as a spectator, but on Saturday there is a cruise in, all makes

car show.  This is my first collector car (I drove a '62 Olds as a daily driver back in the 1980s) and I thought it

might be fun to enter the Buick in the show.

Having no experience with shows, what can I expect?

What advice would you give a newcomer to the hobby?

Any tips on driving a prewar auto on a long trip?

thanks,

Greg

post-148435-0-30880300-1440470835_thumb.

post-148435-0-19401000-1440470858_thumb.

post-148435-0-57910000-1440470899_thumb.

Guest exbcmc

I am planning to drive my 1937 Buick about 200 miles to the Hemmings Concours in Saratoga Springs, NY.

The concours is on Sunday, which I will view as a spectator, but on Saturday there is a cruise in, all makes

car show.  This is my first collector car (I drove a '62 Olds as a daily driver back in the 1980s) and I thought it

A good chair and sunscreen. They are long days. Water, too.

Any tips on driving a prewar auto on a long trip?

thanks,

Greg

Any tips on driving a prewar auto on a long

thanks,

Greg

Most cars are invited to a concours, not drop in. Your Buick is a beauty and its road ability should be great for the trip. Go and enjoy!

Show up, park your car, be friendly. Easy!

To be a little more comfortable, bring some folding chairs, some foul-weather gear just in case of rain, and perhaps some refreshments. Bring detailing supplies if you think you'd like to clean the car up a bit and get the bugs off.

For the trip, make sure your car is in top mechanical condition. Properly fill the tires, check all the fluids, make sure belts are in good order, maybe check points/rotor/cap/plugs. If your car has been reliable up to now, the long trip shouldn't stress it. A few well-chosen spare parts can't hurt, including the aforementioned ignition parts that are cheap and small, maybe an electric fuel pump just in case, and extra fluids, especially water. If it needs more than that, you'll probably want a flatbed to get it home, but a road-worthy car like yours shouldn't give you any headaches if it's well-sorted already.

Have fun!

Edited by Matt Harwood (see edit history)

1.  Hemmings "Concours" is not really a "Concours" and I'm sure they would take your car in a minute but you need to be pre-registered.

2.  Bring folding chairs.

3.  Bring water.

4.  Depending on the show (Concours will provide the placard)  you should have a simple Placard explaining what the car is and some details (production, etc)

Oh, and don't forget one or two of these. So clever!

17j5sbutoirc3jpg.jpg

/ducks

I hope to never see another one of those things.  I don't know why, but they just irritate me.  When I saw my first one, I thought it was pretty cool, but after encountering my millionth (perhaps a slight exaggeration) one, I just have to suppress a desire to kick 'em in the pants!  They seem to multiply like rabbits, so never leave a pair of them alone in a dark place.  If it took one of these 'cute' gnomes to lure the wife or girlfriend into attending a car show, I can understand it; otherwise, ...

Just sayin',

Grog

One of those kids Matt showed usually has a tape measure in his pocket and will impress the others by holding it near the windshield or window and saying "about 4" out of here...."

The stereotypes are the most fun. A few shows and you will be able to tell what kind of car a person owns at a glance.

Bernie

Guest AlCapone

I hope to never see another one of those things.  I don't know why, but they just irritate me.  When I saw my first one, I thought it was pretty cool, but after encountering my millionth (perhaps a slight exaggeration) one, I just have to suppress a desire to kick 'em in the pants!  They seem to multiply like rabbits, so never leave a pair of them alone in a dark place.  If it took one of these 'cute' gnomes to lure the wife or girlfriend into attending a car show, I can understand it; otherwise, ...

Just sayin',

Grog

If you find one you don't hate send me a picture. And I will hate it for you. At a weekend show there must have been 5 or 6 vendors selling them. Wayne

On the drive to Saratoga, chart out some smaller

highways and back roads, so the trip in the old car

will be half the fun.  Driving through countryside

and small towns shows you much more of any area

than superhighways do.  And don't feel the need to 

push the car at speeds beyond its comfort level,

as speeds were slower in 1937.

Saratoga is a beautiful town in itself,

so take time to enjoy it!

I don't do concourse other than as a spectator.

But most shows will take your money at the gate. Its a lot more fun to have your car inside the gate so you will have a home base so to speak.

And for sure bring the above mentioned supplies and comfort items.

You should learn what you need to know at the Saturday cruise regarding Sundays show.

Who knows, you may even get a trophy. You wont if you don't enter.

I don't much care for shows that are on pavement or have no shade anyplace. If its not windy I will put up my pop up.

Edited by JACK M (see edit history)

Just sayin',

Grog

UGH! AGREED! I think these idiotic things marked the beginning of the emasculation of the car show. When guys got lazy and let their wives take over setting up their displays for them. 9 or 10 stuffed animals on the seats and rear parcel shelf, doilies on the fenders, vases full of flowers, a large hand painted sign that says "We call her Cindy!!!" all topped off with a stuffed kid/gnome leaning on the front bumper....just begging for George Blanda to show up and boot him across the fairway for the extra point......and the roar is deafening as the crowd goes wild!

Guest AlCapone

UGH! AGREED! I think these idiotic things marked the beginning of the emasculation of the car show. When guys got lazy and let their wives take over setting up their displays for them. 9 or 10 stuffed animals on the seats and rear parcel shelf, doilies on the fenders, vases full of flowers, a large hand painted sign that says "We call her Cindy!!!" all topped off with a stuffed kid/gnome leaning on the front bumper....just begging for George Blanda to show up and boot him across the fairway for the extra point......and the roar is deafening as the crowd goes wild!

Did we go to the same school? I think so. Wayne

The only suitable display I've seen.

Lots of symbolism there: That's what I think of what you learned to make in rehab!

Wrong car, though. It needs to be an absolutely quiet car like my Electra. "He wasn't SUPPOSED to hear me coming."

Bernie

Guest AlCapone

Keep a close watch on your car. On the weekend I attended a large car shoe ( over 1000 cars ). In the late afternoon a gentleman came to my site with his 12 year old boy. The boy had stolen 2 Schreder valve caps from my 1929 pickup truck when I was not looking. I had no idea they were even gone. So keep an eye on the people around your vehicle. Wayne

I totally agree what Wayne mention - watch your vehicle! I been to the Hemmings Concours at Stratton Mountain and Saratoga Springs over the past few years. I was invited to participate in

the 2010 Concours at Stratton with my Frost Green '69 and the family and I had a great time. I participated the following year with my newly restored Black Impala at the Saturday Cruise in and it ended in heartbreak. The vehicle was on an open trailer, upon checking out of the hotel the follow morning, I found that someone went down the rear quarter panel and trunk lid and

scratch it.... lesson learn ! Now I don't leave my vehicles and if I trailer them to a weekend outing, it will be a enclosed trailer.

Steve

I keep four main items in the trunk of my show car. 1. A wash bucket containing a plastic gallon jug of water, a scrub brush, a soft sponge, a small bottle of Spray Nine, a small water mister bottle and sunscreen.  2, A gadget bag with cotton swabs, cotton towels, a bottle of Vynalex Protectant, a bottle of Instant Spray and Shine wax, a bottle of window cleaner and a roll of paper towels   3. A California Car Duster and a Dash Duster.  4, Two folding chairs and a hat. Oh, and don't forget the fully charged Fire Extinguisher!

Guest AlCapone

I keep four main items in the trunk of my show car. 1. A wash bucket containing a plastic gallon jug of water, a scrub brush, a soft sponge, a small bottle of Spray Nine, a small water mister bottle and sunscreen.  2, A gadget bag with cotton swabs, cotton towels, a bottle of Vynalex Protectant, a bottle of Instant Spray and Shine wax, a bottle of window cleaner and a roll of paper towels   3. A California Car Duster and a Dash Duster.  4, Two folding chairs and a hat. Oh, and don't forget the fully charged Fire Extinguisher!

Why all the cleaning supplies? Don't you detail it before you go to. The show ! Nothing irritates other participants more than a guy shows up and starts polishing his car. It is called look at me and my car fellas! Wayne

Why all the cleaning supplies? Don't you detail it before you go to. The show ! Nothing irritates other participants more than a guy shows up and starts polishing his car. It is called look at me and my car fellas! Wayne

I disagree. I always take cleaning supplies to at least get the bugs off when I get there and if it rains or something, I always bring a chamois to wipe off the water before it leaves spots when the sun comes back out. I always leave home with a clean car, but after a few hundred miles of driving, it's going to need some clean up. Never hurts to be prepared!

I certainly don't mind the guy next to me wiping his car down, either. I did go to one show and saw a guy detailing inside the treads of his tires with a Q-Tip soaked in Armor-All and thought it was a bit ridiculous, but I didn't think he was being an attention whore by any means.

MOST IMPORTANT - Don't you dare forget your camera.  Take lots of pictures and post some here when you are done.  If it's your first event, you will want to create some long-lasting memories.  Just the other day I was looking at some pics of our very first car show as a participant in Rockville Maryalnd back in I believe 1970.  We drove a friend's Model A Ford as he couldn't make it and wanted to at least have the car there.  It was an experience that lasted forever - who knows where things will end up!

Terry

Edited by Terry Bond (see edit history)

I agree! I HATE em. Whats the reason for them? They were worn out as far as 'car show entertainment' 15 years ago

Just sayin',

Grog

Edited by topblissgt (see edit history)

Guest AlCapone

I disagree. I always take cleaning supplies to at least get the bugs off when I get there and if it rains or something, I always bring a chamois to wipe off the water before it leaves spots when the sun comes back out. I always leave home with a clean car, but after a few hundred miles of driving, it's going to need some clean up. Never hurts to be prepared!

I certainly don't mind the guy next to me wiping his car down, either. I did go to one show and saw a guy detailing inside the treads of his tires with a Q-Tip soaked in Armor-All and thought it was a bit ridiculous, but I didn't think he was being an attention whore by any means.

Matt if that does not fit the definition of attention Whore I can't even imagine what your definition would entail. Obviously in your mind the sky is the limit !

On the weekend we watched a guy back a trailer queen out of the box and start using the glass cleaner on the inside of the car. Do you really think the inside of the windows got fogged up in 15 miles. He should have carried a sign " look at me " !

He was the laughing stock of the show and no he did not win an award. Wayne

I believe if you attend the upcoming Hershey show you will see almost every exhibitor in the judged classes detailing their car up until the judges appear. We will be among that group with likely 2 people doing last minute cleaning and finessing. Besides, activity decreases stress while waiting for the judges..

I always take cleaning supplies to at least get the bugs off when I get there and if it rains or something, I always bring a chamois to wipe off the water before it leaves spots when the sun comes back out. I always leave home with a clean car, but after a few hundred miles of driving, it's going to need some clean up. Never hurts to be prepared!

Matt's points are good.  Go to Hershey and, 

the first thing in the morning, you'll see lots of

car owners putting the finishing touches on their cars.

And special praise goes to people that enjoy driving

their cars long distances to shows!

Guest AlCapone

I believe if you attend the upcoming Hershey show you will see almost every exhibitor in the judged classes detailing their car up until the judges appear. We will be among that group with likely 2 people doing last minute cleaning and finessing. Besides, activity decreases stress while waiting for the judges..

A big difference between fine point judging and a local car show! To each his own! I am willing to bet that way less than one percent have ever cleaned their tire treads with a Q tip, I. Find it hilarious ! Wayne

Guest AlCapone

I have never wiped a car down during a show. If it is trailered then maybe a California duster when it comes out but not on the field. I have also never popped the hubcaps to make all the lettering horizontal - but I know somebody that does! :)

I agree and in 45 years of collecting fine cars, some Concours I have never once seen a person detailing the inside of the treads with a Q tip ! Wayne

Edited by AlCapone (see edit history)

I have never wiped a car down during a show.  If it is trailered then maybe a California duster when it comes out but not on the field. 

I agree and in 45 years of collecting a cars, some Concours I have never once seen a person detailing the inside of the treads with a Q tip ! Wayne

Well there is the difference. I prefer to drive my car to events. Even if I fully detail it before I leave Chicago, do you think it will still be spotless when it arrives in Detroit for a show? Of course it never rains, and there is no mud or dust on the way to shows ever.

Although I have never used a Q-tip on my tire treads. I'll take stones out of them though.