Powder Coat fenders?

Rogillio

I have been very impressed with the powder coating I've had done on me wheel rims, gas tank, etc. The shop that does the powder coating is very reasonable. I don't have a quote but I think he would be competitive with a professional painter.

Can you think of any downside to having the 4 fenders powder coated?

I believe that they may chip from road rocks being picked up. The original baked enamel fenders may have been more durable.

I was under the impression that PC was much harder/more durable than paint but I'm not familiar with baked enamel. I will research.

Thanks

Powder coating is not a cure all. I have seen a set of powder coated wheels that are being used on an everyday vehicle and they are getting really chipped and very rusty. I also don't think that you can get the same smooth finish with powder that you can get with wet spray paint. If you have to ever do any repairs, I would imagine that you'd have a lot more trouble with powder coat than paint. Powder seams good for small parts but I wouldn't do any body parts. Just my opinion.

I powder coated my twin-I-beam front end on my '96 F150 when I pulled it all apart. That was about 4 years ago and I was just under it changing the starter and the powder coating I saw has really taken a beating. The interesting thing though is that I I painted a lot of parts with the POR15 and they are still looking pretty good. Just a first hand observation that I thought I would share. Scott...

for what's it's worth I've used all 3 processes on my Dodge. Small parts and chassis have been powder coated. Front suspension I used POR 15 and body panels painted. I agree that powder coating is good for small parts but repairs would be difficult and you may not get the shiny finish you'd expect from paint. The underside of my guards was painted with a black elastic material that if a stone gets thrown up it won't chip as easy if there was nothing there. I don't really regret any of my decisions and hope I've selected the best combination.

Harder doesn't necessarily mean more durable.  I would expect it would be more prone to chipping and cracking especially on a part as flexible as fenders.  If anything, I'd think of adding the stuff they add to pain that is being used on flexible bumper covers to prevent cracking.

The other thing with powder coating is that once corrosion starts in a chip you have no inkling of how far it has gone. Paint bubbles and so on so you can see it is not attached to the substrate. It works along under the powder coat. My wheels were quite rusty around the tyre bead but the powder coat looked fine.

• 4 weeks later...

I took the fenders in to the PC shop.  2 fenders, front shroud around crank hole, 4 hood latch spring assemblies, 2 headlight supports and two brackes that hold the fenders to frame - all sandblasted.  Fenders PC gloss black - all else satin black.  $250.

The sandblasting alone saves me about 10 hrs of stripping and sanding.  The paint and primer and sandpaper would have cost me a c-note.  We'll see what they look like when I get them back.  I will probably add a spray-on shaker can undercoating on the fenders when I get them back.

I told the PC guys that I read you can't get as glossy a surface with PC as you can with paint.  He said BS!  We'll see......if they look good, I will have the back ones done too. 

One problem is that the powder coating alone will not fill pits or defects. That must be done with a high temp primer, sanded and then powder coated. You'll probably not get the smooth finish that you want. I see a lot of powder coated parts covered with pitting, especially wheels

One problem is that the powder coating alone will not fill pits or defects. That must be done with a high temp primer, sanded and then powder coated. You'll probably not get the smooth finish that you want. I see a lot of powder coated parts covered with pitting, especially wheels

I understand. I'm not a big fan of the new car look on an 89 year old car. To me, a few dents and pits are part of the patina/charm.

Edited by Rogillio (see edit history)

Well so much for the powder coating the fenders!  They just called.....they sandblasted the fenders and cleaned them up and said there was too much bondo on the fenders to take the heat in the oven so they can't PC them.  Darn.  Oh well, at least the got them stripped.....do some sanding and I will  paint them as best as I can.  I learned a lot about painting and got a little experience painting my blue DB Coupe so hopefully I can make these look nice.