Texas Road Warriors --- Springfield Invasion

old-tank

I was supposed to show up tomorrow, but Woody said "keep driving Poohbutt!!!"

We got here after 11 hours of driving approximately 700 miles.

Just got back from having drinks with Brian D., Smartin and his lovely bride to be, and the Pats who I will be assisting on the Great Race.

I feel so happy right now.

Kinda sweaty too.....

Woody and I are heading north today to St. Louis. Hopefully the rain will stay away so we can catch a game tonight at Busch Stadium. We will head to Chicago after that (Wrigley Field) and then return to Kirkwood, Mo. on Thursday to prepare for the Great Race.

I will start a new thread at some point so I don't completely hijack this one.

A quick summary is we go down the length of Route 66 and end at the Santa Monica pier. Hit Universal Studios for a couple of days (and a baseball game - to continue the theme) and then make it home by July 4th.

Drive friendly..... The Texas way!

We left at 5:30 yesterday morning and beat a lot of the traffic. We went 44 to OKC and then 35 to Austin. The worst part was the last 100 or so miles that was construction and bumper to bumper traffic.

But even with all that and food and pit stops, we made 665 miles in 10. 5 hours. Early in the morning I could lock cruise in at about 79, later in the day I got in a group that was going 80 + so that helped the averages.  3 stops, Tulsa to get caffine and sugar, OKC to get gas and then Denton to get Bar B Que for lunch.

While I like the trips, it sure was nice to get home to my own bed last night.  Enjoyed meeting and visiting with friends in Springfield and we will see you all in Allentown.

Made it home yesterday afternoon.  3,000 miles total driving, 17 mpg average (up from 15.5), one quart oil consumed (down from 1qt per 1000 miles), one qt tranny fluid and some stp that stopped most of the leak from the front seal.  Also noticed RF tire wearing outside edge --- will have alignment and tire checked soon (probably those *&^%$# Oklahoma roads!).  Probably a 3,500 to 5K round trip next year :D.

Great trip and show.  It was a treat to meet old and new friends.  I will have to get contact info on people that I wanted to see, but just always missed.

Willie

• Like 1

I left Springfield Sunday about 10:00. Spent Sunday and Monday until late with a brother in Joplin. Visited with an old friend from the distant past. Pulled in to my drive way about 04:00 am this morning. Willie , you beat my gas mileage somewhat .

I really enjoyed catching up with old friends and meeting with new ones. 

A big thanks to all who gave moral, and other, support during the parking lot repairs. Great time.

Later

Ben

• Like 1

I'm glad you all made it home without incident.

We went to Busch Stadium last night to see the Cardinals play. We were supposed to head to Chicago to see the Cubs play, but there was flooding to contend with. We stayed put today. Race starts this weekend.

Nancy and I arrived in Georgetown around 2 pm (6/16)

Our return trip took us to her cousins lake view home near Kimberly City MO........glad I do not live there, I would spend the day on the patio with several cold ones and get nothing done.

Monday we headed toward Bentonville AK and stopped at the Crystal Bridges art museum built by the Walton family (WalMart) I would have liked to walked the gardens but we had rain.

I made an interesting discovery in "Knowwhere" AK which I will post when I check the pictures for quality....a fairly rare Riviera sitting there waiting to be adopted.

We made it to McAlister OK on Monday (driving in and out of rain all day)  Tuesday was an easy 350 miles.  the further south we went the more rain.  

Got another 1.25 inches in the night and the reports there will be some more from the storm that came in from the Gulf.

I had a great time in Springfield, wish I had more time.

PS.   Springfield MO has 3 companies that make Limo's, stretched cars, party buses, and big custom busses.   Four of us visited Springfield Coach and got a great tour.  3 Chrysler 300's being

stretched,  one Suburban they were just starting.  and several MB Sprinters being converted to party busses.    In addition they were doing a custom interior on a '39 Cadillac Limo which was running a OHV Cadillac V8 and many other modifications.

I was also thrilled to see Paul Meyer made it to this meet.   Former Board member and all around good guy.... get better Paul.

Edited by Barney Eaton (see edit history)
  • Like 2