Unusual Heater?

Hudsy Wudsy

I have seen heaters similar to this. One was an exhaust manifold that was impregnated with a lot of "studs" sticking out like a porcupine. that had a sheet metal cover and pipes into the car.

It looks like that it would give instant heat. (and a possible dose of carbon monoxide poison too!)

In some very cold weather (28degF is cold in Alabama) I've driven a Ford model 'A' that a similar heater.

There was no electric fan on the 'A's heater. 

It relied on the radiator fan and the car's motion. 

The 'A's heater has two  settings. Off and Hades. 

I had to open the window ti regulate the heat

CO is certainly something  to be concerned about. 

If, your manifold is leaking , it needs attention, whether or not  equipped with a heater 

Edited by JamesBulldogMiller55Buick (see edit history)

All air cooled VWs, most Corvairs, all air cooled Honda cars and many early cars had manifold heaters. Every time the subject comes up, everyone worries about carbon monoxide (which is not CO2 or CO1 but, simply, CO). I suppose it has happened, but I have never heard of a death resulting from manifold heaters.

Manifold heaters never posed much of a risk, health-wise. They simply drew air over the exhaust manifold and passed that heated air into the cabin of the car. The only way CO would enter the car would be if the exhaust manifold had a crack within the pathway of that air travel. In that case, I expect that the noise entering the car along with the heat would make driving unbearable. They certainly could draw in obnoxious under hood odors such as blow-by, though. Having lived my whole life here in Minnesota, I can attest to the fact that manifold heaters, while hotter than blazes in Alabama, were fairly minimal around here. The quite common Model A type heater just used the engine fan and road speed to carry the heat off of the exhaust manifold and into the car. Gas heaters were popular, though. They were commonly seen in V8 Fords up until around '49 (or so). I have to guess that maybe the flathead V8 wasn't a good candidate for hot water heaters - probably because of the twin water pumps and the way in which water circulated, but I don't know. VW (both beetles and busses) often had gas heaters, as well. Gas heaters started to work almost instantly and were capable of heating a car really well. Their downside, however, was that they knocked gas mileage down quite a bit. The interesting heater that I started this thread with is one that I've never seen before even though as a Minnesotan I've seen lots of different styles. It, too, is a manifold heater, except that unlike the many vintage Model A heaters I've seen, this one has a blower fan. I suppose that some people were somewhat spooked by the thought of gasoline and a flame being right there in the car by there feet, so one like this could be an alternative. BTW, those of you cruise through ebay, Craigslist and other sites have probably seen lots of Southwind gas heaters for sale, but you'll notice that they almost never come with the necessary carburetor plate to actually make use of them. It seems that a lot of people kept the heaters, but never bothered to unbolt the carb to retrieve that important item.

Edited by Hudsy Wudsy (see edit history)

I had a Model A sedan delivery with a manifold heater.  ( in  Minnesota )

There was a round sheet metal disk with one screw on the fire wall to turn the heater on.

The only way to tell that you were getting heat was from the smell.

All air cooled VWs, most Corvairs, all air cooled Honda cars and many early cars had manifold heaters. Every time the subject comes up, everyone worries about carbon monoxide (which is not CO2 or CO1 but, simply, CO). I suppose it has happened, but I have never heard of a death resulting from manifold heaters.

thanks for that, 

I made the correction on my post

I had a Model A sedan delivery with a manifold heater.  ( in  Minnesota )

There was a round sheet metal disk with one screw on the fire wall to turn the heater on.

The only way to tell that you were getting heat was from the smell.

That's what I've driven in winter.

That disk on the passenger firewall is hard to reach while driving.

The heater was so effective I had to put the window down.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a manifold heater on my 26 dodge it works well no co2 but if you want you could turn it into a manifolds cooker

I'd love to see a pic of the manifold heater........  :)

My '25 came with one mounted in the rear floor board.

In case it's not readable it says "BOVEY AUTOMOBILE HEATER CO CHICAGO ILL"

post-135735-0-24426900-1433882293_thumb.

post-135735-0-61239800-1433882304_thumb.

post-135735-0-82292500-1433882313_thumb.

post-135735-0-07397000-1433882323_thumb.

The only way CO would enter the car would be if the exhaust manifold had a crack within the pathway of that air travel. In that case, I expect that the noise entering the car along with the heat would make driving unbearable. 

^^^THIS!

My '27 Cadillac sedan uses a long shallow funnel just behind the fan. It feeds fresh air through a large flex pipe to a big heat exchanger sitting ahead of the left side muffler. Warmed , it then goes to duct in the rear floor. Imagine momma and the kiddies with the lap robe holding the heat around their legs on warm up. Poppa or chauffeur stoicly enduring winter in overcoat , Stetson, and gloves untill enough heat built up. Very cozy. The '20s still roared , Gatsby had been written , alcohol consumption had been legislated into the biggest thrill in town , but the Depression was yet to come. - Carl

• Like 1

Thanks. Some from my earliest memory. Wrapped up in a blanket , comfy and warm in the back seat of dads '33 Buick. In spite of the cold , pre global warming Winter in Chicago , that classy , not too old used car , took us out to visit grandma. Now , what lucky little kid wouldn't love that almost magical black box on wheels ? You just got in it in one place , and got out of it in another ! Brake vacuum booster went out , and next car was a '39 Pontiac. Took is up to Door county , Wisconsin Summers for camping. One day he showed up in a new '50 Willys Jeep station wagon. Off to Vermont we went by way of the Manitowoc - Luddington ferry. A very small ferry carried us to a month camping on Sanibel Island , Florida in '52. Long trip through Mexico just after the 8 to 12 devaluation of the Peso in '54. Next year we moved cross country to Seattle by way of floating in Great Salt Lake , and up the coast from 'Frisco. I learned to drive in his '55 Chev . So you see how old car images fill my mind. I have been obsessed with old cars all my life. I suspect many of you guys and gals similarly afflicted never whined " when are we getting there? " . I remember quite clearly being disappointed when we got to our long distance destinations. For a little while , the adventure component was put on hold. But heaters. Yeah , I don't remember ever being cold in the old days. Heaters. Had 'em. But I sure remember suffering the heat of Summer in those pre A/C cars. - Carl

Just last week I visited an authoritative Early V8 member to see his 2 '41 station wagons. From him I learned that the heater of a type with the blower like the one shown on the '40 engine was "factory".   In '41 at least, two different heaters were available on new Fords, the hot air one w/blower or a hot water heater.  His accurately restored wagons had one of each.

• 4 months later...

I resurrected this old thread for the fun of it to show you guys another Ford flathead heater that I just came across. It's on a '36 that's for sale on Craigslist in Billings MT. Unlike the one that I posted at the beginning of this thread, this one doesn't use an electric motor. It does appear that it might be strategically positioned behind the radiator cooling fan. "Old School", for sure! Here's a link to the ad:

http://billings.craigslist.org/cto/5209287255.html

http://images.craigslist.org/00I0I_8GhgawI52vG_600x450.jpg

Guest AlCapone

I have several Model A Fords and they all have a manifold heater, different names but all the same principle. The firewall has a hole in it to channel the exhaust heat into the cab. My grandfather told me that in days gone by they were called a

" Widow Maker " because of the carbon monoxide being sent into the cab from a leaky exhaust! Wayne

Well , this old man is now a bit like a kid with a new toy ! So before this old dogs new trick gets old , I figured I would show the car that owns the heater. I know how much everyone likes to see each other's cars , whatever condition they are in. To enhance the enjoyment of this example of a dual rear spares car : this is an original (even green paint) unrestored '27 Cad. If all goes well , I hope to drive down the coast to arrive at the Cad-LaSalle G.N. in 'Vegas in April. I had been searching for such a Cad for many years. This is to compliment my open "Summer Car" , a '24 Cad 7 pass touring. Almost bought a closed Cad at Hershey maybe 15-16 years ago. It was almost , but just not quite right to fit the purpose. As Mother Nature and Father Time had their way with me , it seemed that this dream would be unfulfilled. Two years ago I stumbled across this 100% perfect "Winter Car" on Portland Craigslist ! You guys and gals know how that happens. Kinda like love ! And this late in life love affair keeps me going. I am still thankfully able to muscle the old things around , in spite of my left shoulder being bone on bone ! What incredible luck! And how lucky we all are to live in this great country , where we can have such a hobby. And how phenomenally lucky we are to have this miraculous technology to visit one another in this way ! We old folk are indeed the luckiest generation ever ! Drive these old cars slowly. - Carl

post-139274-0-53388400-1444859741_thumb.

post-139274-0-90278100-1444859779_thumb.

post-139274-0-43434000-1444859826_thumb.

post-139274-0-01861500-1444859904_thumb.

post-139274-0-72620900-1444859954_thumb.