Unknown coupe of 2015

Guest Darren Kemarly

I also see the chrome screw and grommet for the gas tank cover and the ribs on the cover in the photo of the blue sedan. Go here for more information about Jordans....http://clubs.hemmings.com/jordanmotorcar/

The car in question seems to be a late 1930 by the 6 digit serial number found (according to the chart on the website).

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

Very impressive work, guys. I kept coming back to this one, surprised that our group of experts was stumped. You guys rock!

That one was a pretty tough one. I really hate to admit it, but I think I actually lost some sleep over this one. Silly, huh? I may need another hobby if this one will ruin my beauty sleep....

Good job John. The dash has me wondering. The mystery car dash picture shows a bulged belt line across the uppermost of the dash. Centered is a shape that looks like it may have been an emblem of some sort. Any idea on that? That is the only head-scratching left for me. It sure seems to be very rare.

Chuck in Kansas

I think you've probably nailed it John. I have noticed that he '29 Jordan's wheels appear to be the drop center type, (unless a removable lock ring is painted and doesn't stand out), while the mystery car's wheels look like the lock ring type. On the rusty dash there is an oval on the rail above the instrument hole that doesn't show from what I can see on the green dash rail of the '29. These differences could perhaps be explained by a model year change.

Good job John. The dash has me wondering. The mystery car dash picture shows a bulged belt line across the uppermost of the dash. Centered is a shape that looks like it may have been an emblem of some sort. Any idea on that? That is the only head-scratching left for me. It sure seems to be very rare.

Chuck in Kansas

The dashboard photo I posted is of a roadster and is slightly different at the top than what the closed car has. I think the center "bulge" at the top is a badge, but does not match the usual Jordan badge. Maybe it is a different sort of FEDCO plate that we have never seen. Maybe the guys on the Jordan site can shed some light. I will contact them and see what comes up.

UPDATE: I contacted the Jordan Club for more information and will let you know what they say.

I'm pretty sure (there I go again) that it is just a raised part of the cowling that is supposed to have a slightly different type of woodgraining to it. That's what I've seen on the other cars with the same type of deal.

I think you are correct, West. I have seen those details on a couple of different makes. I have only seen rectangular and oval FEDCO plates.

The car in question seems to be a late 1930 by the 6 digit serial number found (according to the chart on the website).

Great detective work!

If 132-245 is indeed the serial number, this would be the latest production number registered according to that chart and possibly among the last Jordans built. Rare indeed!

Guest Darren Kemarly

I would like to thank everyone for there responses to my post and to help identify my coupe.

special thanks goes to keiser31.

I found the coupe listed on eBay listed as Chrysler, REO, unknown. Like many of you I am a sucker for the odd ball and orphan cars. I also made myself a promise that if I found ant three window coupe for $500 or less I was going to buy it, I ended buying this one for $510.

The coupe was located east of Cleveland Ohio so I rented a trailer and picked it up. The gentlemen that had the car said that it was located in a junkyard that was being crushed and the owners called him to se if he wanted it before it was crushed. The coupe had set in the last owner yard for some time before listing it on eBay. I just spoke with him to let him know what the coupe actually was. He also thought that it might be a Jordan but could not find any information on the internet to prove that.

I found a few more photos on line so I have attached one of the right side rear that really shows the belt lines and gas filler. This photo is from 2011 AACA archives and there are some more shots of the dash and front of the car there. I have also add the photo of the metal tag that has the numbers ( 132-245 ) stamped in it and nailed to the wood framing just above the frame on the passengers side below the cowl.

Thanks again for all your help.

Darren

post-54320-143142928722_thumb.jpg

post-54320-143142928719_thumb.jpg

Thanks very much for the finding/purchase process. It's always interesting to find out how a vehicle was found and saved from the scrap pile. It looks like it may be a pretty tough one to restore as it is so rare. Parts are probably out there, but where to find them??

The exterior door handle is 1929 Franklin 135 and 137, 1930 Franklin 145 and 147, and 1931 Franklin 151 and 152. The car is NOT a Franklin though. I would not rule out other cars using the same handle as a Franklin - I see too many of them on ebay to be a Franklin exclusive part. The Jordan pictured in green above apperars to have the same handle, belt line, and ....

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Darren Kemarly

I just got off the phone with Art from the Jordan registry, he wanted to let me know that I may have found the one and only 1932 model 80. I wont know for sure till I measure the wheel base. This puts the coupe past the end of production for the Jordan's and into the next group that was produced out of left over parts that were bought for a few cents on the dollar.

It has always been a dream of mine to find a rare car, but there are lessons to be learned!! Rare does not always mean that is worth lots of money!! it can be so rare that there are no parts to even wish to start a restoration and its value is only as much as what you gave for it.

Luckily I planed on making a traditional hot rod ( relax I have the approval from the Jordan car club ) but I have a little more work ahead as I will try to produce parts by hand.

Darren

• 5 months later...

It is exactly like my first 1931 DB setup....three hinges on the door. My earlier 1931 DB setup has only two hinges. The two-hinged car was built in early February of 1931. The three-hinged car was built 12 days later. Somewhere in the 12 days was a change in the model. Here is my other '31 with two hinges per door....

post-81542-0-76726000-1437273408_thumb.j

It is exactly like my first 1931 DB setup....three hinges on the door. My earlier 1931 DB setup has only two hinges. The two-hinged car was built in early February of 1931. The three-hinged car was built 12 days later. Somewhere in the 12 days was a change in the model. Here is my other '31 with two hinges per door....

I am debating buying that body it is missing the pass. door, decklid, and firewall think it's worth $600?

It is also missing the wheel well panels. I would guess more like $200.00 since it only has one door and the exterior visor. It may make a good start for a rod, but will require a LOT of panel restoration to be able to use it. Doors and trunk lids/rumble seat lids for the coupe are absolutely the hardest parts to acquire. Then you have to get the correct door....two hinges or three hinges.

It seems that Graham has not been considered. I know the 32's had dual side moulding and dual vents. The 8's of 29-32 were full custom cars and coupes had a similar golf door. They also had hydraulic brakes. My vote would be Graham but I don't know the custom years well enough to be sure. Can you tell what the wheelbase is?