Unknown coupe of 2015

Guest Darren Kemarly

Guest Darren Kemarly

Hello

I just recently bought this three window coupe. I am looking for help identifying the manufacturer. Two things stand out; the twin cowl vents and the rear quarters are made of aluminum, but the rumble seat lid is sheet metal. There is a metal tag nailed to the wood under the right side of the cowl, just above the frame ( 132-245 ) and the car has hydraulic brakes.

Thanks for the assistance

Darren

post-54320-143142916965_thumb.jpg

post-54320-143142916946_thumb.jpg

post-54320-143142916957_thumb.jpg

I also thought DeSoto/Chrysler -- especially with the note of the dual fresh air intakes in the cowl and juice brakes for so early a car.

Guest prs519

Is that a cabriolet top assembly, which may have rotted away to be be replaced by this coupe-type treatment? I love the patina of the coloring and believe this may

have been custom bodied car.

29-30 Chrysler 75, 77. Typical of these is the 2 pc rumble lid, golf bag door is common on bothe models. I agree with auburnseeker, definitely a sport coupe which would have fabric on the top down to the beltline. A dash photo would be nice, as there is probably a Fedco plate on it and would reveal more correct info. Now if you jump into Hupp of the same period there are similarities, but the 2 pc rumble lid is mainly Chrysler.

Guest Darren Kemarly

The rumble seat lid is 1 pcs, the second pcs is the panel below the lid that attached to the quarter panels. The top has 2 aluminum side panels (with the holes stamped in) and with material covering the top and back. Short of pulling the dash out, I have looked for the ID tags. The only tag I have found is the small metal tag with 132-245 below the cowl on the passenger side wood framing.

I have found in my research, a few of the larger Chryslers had dual spare tires, dual cowl vents as this coupe does and the belt lines look the same. Also with having aluminum quarters could this be a coach built custom, using the doors forward of the large body and custom sports coupe back half????

I do appreciate the feed back as this one has me stumped.

Darren

I will try get the dash photos posted to day, as the weather here has been very icy.

The fuel filler is on the right which is NOT a Chrysler characteristic. The double (wide and narrow belt molding is also not a usual Chrysler feature. That dashboard photo is definitely needed to tell what you have there. A LOT of it looks Chrysler-like.

Guest Darren Kemarly

post-54320-143142919371_thumb.jpg

The first picture is of the dash, no gauges. The second is of the drivers side outer door handle and backing plate. The third is of the window mechanism. The fourth is of very thin die cast pcs found in rumble seat area and behind the front seat under a inner door panel.

post-54320-143142919272_thumb.jpg

post-54320-143142919365_thumb.jpg

post-54320-143142919368_thumb.jpg

Guest Darren Kemarly

It may have been under my nose the hole time, the belt line looked familiar. It is the same as my 32 LaSalle so I did more looking and I found a picture of 1930 with dual upper cowl vents dual spare tires and the belt line looks the same, but the aluminum quarters has me stumped.

Do I have a second???

Darren

The only problem I have with that i.d. is that the belt molding goes down the quarter panels on the car in question and not on the LaSalles.

Maybe the handleman can tell us what it is by the door handle.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

Guest Darren Kemarly

to keiser31

Did the handleman have a chance to look at the door handle???

I have been around older cars but this is the first for aluminum quarters, I did see a Hudson last year that had an all aluminum body. I found a couple Hudson's

that have been rodded that had the dual fresh vents but again the belt lines were wrong.

I need a good place to start looking for ID numbers.

Thanks every one for the information.

Darren

Willys Knight late 20's?

Not sure about the aluminum panels but the edging, windshield shape, rear fenders, wheels, dash and golf door look close. The dual air vents aren't correct though.

Bill

Matt - I looked at the Stutz too, but the cowl-top dual fresh-air vents ruled it out. I looked at the Packard 740 Super 8 / 733 Standard 8 / 4-43 and Pierce, Cadillac 353 V-12 and Dodge DG 8. The Essex Greater Super-Six was the only cowl-top dual fresh-air vented coupe that I could find. The 1930 Nash Standard Six was a beauty, too. DeVaux and Buick were on my look-up list, but I've run out of time! John - you mentioned the right side fuel fill; which photo(s) and where? I've missed that. Dave - another clue is the round fender-top step plate. It is a tough one, but that makes it fun! ;)

Chuck in Kansas

post-80801-143142924269_thumb.jpg

post-80801-143142924268_thumb.jpg

The round step plate on the top of the fender is a Chrysler style plate/location. I still think the MAIN identifying detail is the wide belt molding with the narrow molding adjacent/beneath the wide one. So far, nobody has come up with a car that features that detail. I believe that detail alone will separate the car from all of the others. The continuation of the detail/molding down the quarters is the another.

Does anyone know which make had the double molding?

This dash from the 1929 Gardner is close, but the cowl on the car in question is not louvered. It's a stumper, alright!

post-37352-14314292429_thumb.jpg

I wonder if it was a sedan that was converted to a "coupe" and an expert body builder put the rear end on. It could even be off something upmarket that has been converted. If that is the case, the belt line and the dual cowl should be the first things to match. The handles could be changed if it has been "rodded" in this way. I just observe the join in the steel at the rear of the top and it looks wrong. Even the dual cowl vents could be added...

Why would it be in Aluminium? To save weight? Working Al is not as easy as working steel, is it?

I wonder if it was a sedan that was converted to a "coupe" and an expert body builder put the rear end on. It could even be off something upmarket that has been converted. If that is the case, the belt line and the dual cowl should be the first things to match. The handles could be changed if it has been "rodded" in this way. I just observe the join in the steel at the rear of the top and it looks wrong. Even the dual cowl vents could be added...

Why would it be in Aluminium? To save weight? Working Al is not as easy as working steel, is it?

I believe the car is as it was put together originally. The belt molding and the rest of it seems to align quite well. It is not that odd to have aluminum quarter panels. Although, the cars that featured those were fairly high end cars such as Lincolns. Weight is certainly a factor.

I strongly believe it is a 1930 Marmon Big 8. The luggage rack is certainly that of a 1929-30 Marmon. The cowl and belt molding match the Big 8 from 1930.

The Chrysler luggage rack is very similar. The cowl belt molding on the Marmon is different and they were 5 window coupes, not 3, I believe. The upper belt molding also looks wider on the Marmon. The dashboard is different, too.

Anyone look at the 1929 Hupp?

I saw dual vents, rt gas fill, round step on rt fender. Golf door opens the correct way,post-59118-143142925599_thumb.jpg Can't find wheels or a dash that looks the same.

Bill

post-59118-143142925591_thumb.jpg

post-59118-143142925593_thumb.jpg

post-59118-143142925596_thumb.jpg

post-59118-143142925597_thumb.jpg

We know that this isn't a run of the mill car....One not yet raked over the coals is Windsor. I googled 1929 Windsor White Prince and found a fuzzy picture of a 3 window coupe having an overall appearance that looks about as I would envision the mystery car.

Once again, the belt molding comes into play here and is a single molding on the Prince. It certainly has most of the characteristics of a 1929 Jordan....I think we may have solved the puzzle and what a rare car you have found! Can't find a passenger side photo to verify the rumble seat step pad location. Here is the dash for the Jordan and a locking steering column....it's a match. Thanks, Dave....you triggered my memory.

post-37352-143142925837_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143142925946_thumb.jpg