1969 CHEVROLET IMPALA SS 427 PROJECT

" One step forward, two steps back"...well I had to remove the front bumper because the filler panels that fit under the headlights would not go on. So bumper off, panels on and bumper reinstalled and aligned again !  😃  It's been 24 years since I did the restoration on my Black Impala and this one came to me apart, so I forgot... oh well. The grill paint came out really great and now with the grill installed, it really makes the front end of this Super Sport stand out compared to the base Impala next to it.

Steve

Here are some pictures:

20190922_171409.jpg

20190922_171347.jpg

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

I'm always checking the different Facebook sites & ebay for anything related to my project and it paid off this past weekend.... found a NOS horn cover for my steering wheel. Mine was cracked and worn. When I get to the interior, I'm not sure yet if the steering wheel is worth restoring - stress cracks ( I have no idea what the cost would be ) or try to find a nos one....

Steve

20191009_214129.jpg

20191009_214212.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

I just put a NOS pair of tail light lenses and rims on my Olds because the ones I had on the lights before had the weep holes in the rim on the top because the rims were from different lights. These lenses were in the original GM packaging and wrapped in 80 years old newspaper!

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

My center brace for the grill support came in today. This one item ties everything together  - hood latch plate, upper & lower grill that I painted and the lower valence. The brace does need the two nylon nuts which the grill attachment screws into.... those are on order. I ordered extra nylon nuts, I figure that I might as well replace the nuts on the other two braces since they are 50 years old and probably getting " weak" from all the times I mounted and remounted the grills.

Steve

image.thumb.png.bd5801c8902d4b6dd6471047df3959bf.png

20191102_163837.jpg

• Like 3

Hi John... yes there is !  I hope that this is the only "piece of the puzzle" that was missing... I have so many boxes of parts that would make your head spin ! 🙂  Thank goodness for the assembly manual with the detail pictures and my other '69 Impala that I can refer to as a reference.... otherwise I would be at a lost.

Steve

• Like 2

Steve, i was just talking to Walt Gosden, and he  had mentioned that he  spoke to you about a TV show that he does with a friend of his on a local cable station on Long Island  about antique cars, and antique automobile related topics.  Well, I am the  co host  on the program. Walt and I have been doing the show for over 4 years now with 20 productions on tape. Now you have a face to go along with  the name, John S. Thanks,  as always, John

• Like 1

LOL....That's too much John, I didn't realized that at all. Yes, me and Walt have been sending emails back and forth.... Those shows are EXCELLENT, I've been watching a few every night !  A lot of information and I'm learning a lot about the pre-war vehicles that I'm finding fascinating  - The show with Walt's 1930 Packard has to be right up there - beautiful vehicle, it's art work in motion !

Steve

• Like 1

One step forward, two steps back 🙄. I was all set to install the center bracket which I just painted the other day and I just noticed two drill holes. So I looked at the assembly diagram photo and my other '69 Impala and sure enough, there is a small " L " shape bracket that is needed to secure the bottom grill. Now I have to go thru the boxes of parts to see if it's in there, if not, I'll just remove the one off of the other '69 so I can use it as a template and make one up. 

To be continue.....

Steve

20191107_155248.jpg

20191107_155144.jpg

• Like 1

Hey John..... I can't believe I missed that small bracket. I took the bracket off of my other '69 Impala to use as a reference, took some pictures and sent them off to my friend down in NJ, where I've been buying parts from.  If he comes up empty, I have a few other sources to check out before I end up making one myself. You can see from the pictures how unique this small bracket is....how it fits into the larger bracket. Hopefully I should hear back from him this week.

Getting cold here, once I get this bracket installed and the grill back on the car, I'll be done until the nice weather comes around again...

Steve

20191109_133434.jpg

20191109_133425.jpg

• Like 1

Steve, if you still need the bracket, I can probably get you one on Friday, we are going back to our junkyard.  Just let me know beforehand.  -Chris

• Like 2

OK , I have been busy so it is taking me a while to catch up on reading the many topics on the forums. SO now Steve, John S. and me - WG all know who each other are - heaven help the rest of you! 😯

I can think of comparing this to The Little Rascals ( Our Gang) and the East Side Kids ( Dead end kids) getting together !  Hey the volunteers at the tv studio ( google : 4 village studio) in Floral Park Village Hall still show up to be there to tape our shows , admit they know us ( many are my former art students) too. Wonders never cease. Two gray haired old guys talking about used cars.

That 1930 Packard I have was a Trailer Queen its whole existence after being restored for 40 years, until I bought it . I don't own a trailer, never will. When I bought it at auction in 2016 there was not much interest in it because it was a 7 passenger - I like 7 passenger cars , lets you take a lot of friends along for a ride. It has an AACA 1st place badge/award that now resides in the glove box - I will never have it judged or want any awards, trophies are of no interest to me at all.

Steve I hope your Impala project is going well my friend. Seeing that diagram of the grille support is just a bit amazing - I don't think there are that many parts in the shutters on the Packard! Yikes.

Walt

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

A BIG Thank You goes out to Chris ( hursst ) ! Chris found that small bracket that I needed on a recent junkyard visit.....  it cleaned up great, painted it the other day and attached it to large center bracket where the hood latch plate is attached to. I just finished mounting that bracket to the radiator support and attached the hood latch and the two horns.  

Steve

20191122_114332.jpg

20191122_122530.jpg

• Like 8

• 2 months later...

I remembered recently why I like '69 Impalas so much: The first car I ever drove was a '69 Impala...when I was 12 years old. (You'd think I wouldn't forget something like that, but I did until recently.)

As I recall, my dad had driven us out near the airport because we were waiting for someone to fly in. There's a big lake nearby, so we were passing time there, parked on a gravel road. My dad asked me if I wanted to drive, and I couldn't believe it. Just down the road 100 yards or so and back. It was a four door with probably a 350.

Best wishes on the project. Looking good!

• Like 1

My parents had a '69 Impala 4 door as well... 327 engine. Prior to getting my driver's permit, I use to drive it up and down our driveway....I had a lot of fun doing that until my father started asking questions about the streaks of burnt rubber markings on the driveway...😉

Steve

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 2/19/2020 at 1:21 PM, STEVE POLLARD said:

Hey John, here is a picture of my parents '69 Impala.... they paid $3000 for it brand new ! This was taken around 1980 or 1981

Steve

steve's classics 9.jpg

Oh, that brings back memories! Thanks for the pic! Ours was blue, no vinyl top.

I can't remember how much my dad paid for ours, but it probably wasn't too much less than that...even though it was used. He bought it from my 6th grade student teacher, Mrs. Thurman, and I was in the 6th grade in the 1969-70 school year so it wasn't very old.

• Like 1