STEVE POLLARD

1969 CHEVROLET IMPALA SS 427 PROJECT

I wanted to share some photos of my current project, a documented 1969 SS CHEVROLET IMPALA 427/390hp car. I been looking for one of these for a while now, my last Impala project took me 14 years to complete ( a young family and available funds delayed the project.. lol ) I was very fortunate to acquire many, if not all of the nos parts from the previous owner to bring this SS back to it's former glory.

I'll post pictures as the restoration get's underway !

Steve

post-88015-143142917007_thumb.jpg

post-88015-143142916974_thumb.jpg

Edited by steveimpala (see edit history)
  • Like 1

My brother-in-law had an Astro Blue one of those with the 427/4 speed. Rare and beautiful car!

• Like 1

I think the 69 full-size Chevrolet is one of the nicest looking vehicles ever sold by Chevrolet.

Great project!

• Like 1

Thanks Guys....It's rare...total production of full size ( Impala, Caprice, Biscayne, Bel Air, wagons ) was around 1,168,300...... of that total, just 2455 were the SS edition.

Steve

Probably not too many four speeds.

My buddy in Davie.Fl recently sold his '69 Impala SS 427, factory 4 speed, convertible. A silver bench seat car. Very few

were built, and it was the last year for the real full sized SS. Several years ago there was one in light green, White conv

top and interior at GM carlisle. Again a documented 4 speed 427 car that was a nice #2-3 car.

• Like 1

A friend of mine also purchase a 1969 Impala SS at GM Carlisle back in 2005. His was also a documented 427 4 speed convertible, Frost Green with a black top and interior!

A friend of mine also purchase a 1969 Impala SS at GM Carlisle back in 2005. His was also a documented 427 4 speed convertible, Frost Green with a black top and interior!

The one I saw was for sale. The seller had a large 3x5 place card spelling out the car's stats. It could have been the same car but I

believe it was light green with white, not black trim if my memory is not fooling me. I remember it because again, my buddy's car

had the same exact equipment at the time.

My buddy had a triple black 427/4 speed convertible. It may have been fast, but I was pulling away from him in my '63 SS convertible with 327/4bbl and Powerglide. We had to let up approaching busy intersection with red light.

It's been a few years, but I wanted to share some updates...Quarter panel repair work was done by Jeff over at Penn-Dutch Restorations...trunk extensions and wheel wells had to be fabricated. The patch work on the quarters were taken from a section of a sedan quarters that I received when the car was purchased. Currently , I'm working on the front end, installing nos fenders / checking proper alignment and transferring all of the attachment locations from the original fenders body molding and scripts  to the new ones.

Some before and after pictures:

20150929_140738.jpg

20150929_140717.jpg

8829.jpeg

8828.jpeg

Question: I need to drill out a hole on the top of the passenger side front fender for the radio antenna mast. Due to the size of the hole, I don't want to drill, for fear of tearing the metal..... is there a tool out there that could punch out a perfect hole without damaging the surrounding metal ? 

Thanks !

20180816_005731.jpg

Steve,

Center the hole and start with a 1/4'' or slightly larger bit. Then use a step drill to proper size. It will look like a factory punched hole.

You could probably get by with a harbor freight tool but a Irwin will last forever.

This is also the best method to enlarge any existing hole.

Dennis

• Like 1

A step drill bit will work great with out tearing it. You can leave the hole a little small and finish it up with a Dremel with a carbide deburr bit. Hole saws seem to wobble and leave a bigger hole.

• Like 1

Yes , a Greenlee knock-out set is what you need . They even have the nipper for the little key slot . Most electrical contractors carry them .  

• Like 1

I ended up using the "step drill bit" and finished it up with the Dremel..... turned out great !  Also as a side note, I had a hard time trying to align the passenger side fender. Using the body shims, I still could not get the proper gap between door and fender. Then I realized that the radiator support bushings were never replaced when the body bushings were replaced by previous owner. New radiator support bushings were installed and that made all the difference in attaining proper gap.

Steve

20180821_221655.jpg

• Like 2