Paying for the National

ol' yeller

Not to be a rabble rouser but I am curious why the only way to pay for my entry and activities to the National is via snail mail (USPS). I am not comfortable in this day and age of identity theft to write my credit card info on a form, mail it in and trust the USPS not to send it to Nigeria. I did send a check. Going forward, it would be much easier to register and pay if there was a way to do this via a secure website. Fill in the blanks, give my CC info and done. The BCA would get their money faster and I would have registered much earlier. I am not advocating doing away with the snail mail option but I'd bet you would get a lot more entries sooner if there was a way to do this via the interwebz.

I have been using the US mail service for well over 50 years and can not tell you the last time they screwed up. I also type my credit card info into my computer, and too have not had any issues there as well. Even if someone used my credit card that they hacked, well, I would refuse to pay my bill.

It's time to quit blaming the postal service when actually they do a good job, IMO.

Dale in Indy

OOOps! It must have been the "day and age of identity theft" part that side tracked me.

Really, it is the club that manages the money receipts for the National, with some financial help from the club and a few others. Credit card payments would take at least 10% for processing through a third party. And if they set up an account with their bank the gateway fees and short term would add enough to, probably, raise the various registration fees. There's a bone of contention, for sure. All those squeaks in old Buick's aren't because the chassis is tight.

Bernie

Guest my3buicks

There is no excuse in this day and age to not have National Meets fully electronic especially for registration. It's time for the BCA to join this century a a whole.

Guest BigDogDaddy

I can understand the costs associated with accepting credit cards. How about Pay Pal ? Are their fees any better ? A lot of people use Pay Pal these days.

The BCA accepts a CC for payment so I assume that the costs to process an online transaction should be close to the same. My suggestion was to add a payment option that makes registration easier for us and faster for the club if a member chooses to use it. My comment about security was really not the reason why I posted what I did. I apologize that some got their panties in a bunch over that comment. I am NOT advocating that the BCA do away with snail mail as an option for those who refuse to join the 21st century. I am just saying that an online registration option would make it much easier for a lot of us to register. Geez!

There are several on line event booking sites that allow you to register and use credit card to pay. These sites have fee's of 2% ~ 3%. Having been in envolved in events using these 2 of these sites, you also get a useful simple data output. The event organiser does not see the cc number.

www.eventbrite.com

www.eventbee.com

www.eventarc.com

www.anyvite.com/

www.trybooking.com

Paypal has high fees.

Agree there is no excuse in this day and age to not have National Meet registration & payment on line and the option for snail mail for those who want to use it.

Edited by 1939_buick (see edit history)

We have researched using online registrations in the past. Registration is more than merely typing in a name, address, and car information. The tours and costs change every year. Also, the complexity of the judging comes into play as well. Someone still has to take that data entered on the website and enter it into a program specifically designed for each year's show. And there are a number of changes that occur after the initial registration. I'm not saying it cannot be done online, but it is definitely more difficult than it sounds.

We can accept registrations via email, if that would help. You can fill out the registration form, scan it, and email it to the email address at the bottom of the registration form, BuickNationals@verizon.net. Once received, we can print it and handle it as if we received it by mail. Of course, you must provide the credit card information for payment when using this method.

Another thing you have to watch out for is that sometimes Buick owners don't have that great a sense of humor. There really wasn't an anarchist motorcycle gang involved.

Bernie

and I bet your wife can attest that you are NOT one of them. In fact, ya gotta wonder how she puts up with you. You for sure keep me rollin on the floor.

We have researched using online registrations in the past. Registration is more than merely typing in a name, address, and car information. The tours and costs change every year. Also, the complexity of the judging comes into play as well. Someone still has to take that data entered on the website and enter it into a program specifically designed for each year's show. And there are a number of changes that occur after the initial registration. I'm not saying it cannot be done online, but it is definitely more difficult than it sounds.

We can accept registrations via email, if that would help. You can fill out the registration form, scan it, and email it to the email address at the bottom of the registration form, BuickNationals@verizon.net. Once received, we can print it and handle it as if we received it by mail. Of course, you must provide the credit card information for payment when using this method.

Do y'all take PayPal? :) not that I will be registerin or anything, just curious...

Thanks for a rational answer Roy! I did assume that there would be some cost to the BCA to get a program written to digitize the form and write it in a way that can be easily updated with the annual changes. Perhaps that cost is beyond the capabilities of our organization. My comments about ease were from a member's standpoint, not the BCA. That was probably a little shortsighted on my part.

Guest my3buicks

If other clubs, organizations and events can do it there is no excuse that the BCA can't do it. As has been the past history of the BCA and staying with the times, it's time to pull out the cattle prod.

If other clubs, organizations and events can do it there is no excuse that the BCA can't do it. As has been the past history of the BCA and staying with the times, it's time to pull out the cattle prod.

Keith, as alway you have some great ideas. However, they all involve more work and time commitment for OTHER PEOPLE: researching takes time; implementing takes time; monitoring and maintenance takes time. I have a lot of ideas and suggestions, but I don't make public for fear someone will put me to work:eek:. Lead the way!

Willie

Guest my3buicks

It seems to me we have a BCA office that we pay,seems that would be a good place to develop such programs. I would think that would fall under the business end of things. We pay lots of entities for services why not one more. The national meet is not a break even event, you can't rake in the profits and not reinvest. Kind of like a house, you can use and use it but if you don't do repairs and upgrades to keep it current it's value falls and it doesn't serve your needs well either. As someone mentioned, their are a lot of places that offer such services.

Edited by my3buicks (see edit history)

Keith, as alway you have some great ideas. However, they all involve more work and time commitment for OTHER PEOPLE: researching takes time; implementing takes time; monitoring and maintenance takes time. I have a lot of ideas and suggestions, but I don't make public for fear someone will put me to work:eek:. Lead the way!

Willie

RIGHT ON, WILLIE, RIGHT ON!!!:)

Ben

Guest my3buicks

So you guys are alright with the BCA lagging further and further behind in what it tajes to keep a club relevant in today's world?? Buick Motor Division has done a remarkable job in attracting younger buyers into the fold and lowering the average age if Buick owners substantially. , if not the brand would have been dead because their buyers would all have been dead. Same applies here.

Guest my3buicks
RIGHT ON, WILLIE, RIGHT ON!!!:)

Ben

Re: Paying for the National

And that comes from a newer member that has probably never did anything from the BCA, of course since we just know you as Ben, we can!t be sure.

Re: Paying for the National

And that comes from a newer member that has probably never did anything from the BCA, of course since we just know you as Ben, we can!t be sure.[/QUOT

???

Been a member since fall of '08. I have been to three Nationals. Drove my restored '50 Mod 41D to each of them. A car that I restored, by the way.

No I have done little or nothing for the BCA. My age and other life details have precluded that. I have offered, at each National , to do anything that is needed, but nothing has been needed. So I was told.

I have begun to see the BCA as many other clubs. The GOOD OLD BOYS stick together and rule. Human nature. Perhaps I will be a GOOD OLD BOY someday. How long does it take??

BENNIE A BRUCE

BCA 44599

Wichita Falls, TX

Recently, we have people picking on the BOD, other Officials and the "Office" staff. Now, some are turning on the other members and forum users who may not even be members.. Please "GET A GRIP", and enjoy. Life is too short

John

Guest wildcat465

I can assure you that the BOD will be looking at more modern enhancements for the website and updates on the electronic end soon.

It's really too bad that we can't just flip a switch and make everyone happy instantly.

However, we need to make sure that the bang for the buck is there and that fiscal responsibility is followed, this will take time.

Guest my3buicks
Recently, we have people picking on the BOD, other Officials and the "Office" staff. Now, some are turning on the other members and forum users who may not even be members.. Please "GET A GRIP", and enjoy. Life is too short

John

Pointing out shortcomings with BOD, other officials and particularly the paid office staff uis anything but "picking". It's no secret that I think many iof the BCA 's problems and issues come from the paid by us office staff. Seems to me that as a member I have the right to complain about less than stellar performance over the years. If you order an expensive meal and it cones to the table half baked you would complain because you are paying good money for a service to be provided. Same applies. My thoughts aren't mine alone, I am just one of the few that will voice them.

Do I take flack, crude private messages, attitude from others for my views and opinions? absolutely, but obviously since I continue to be vocal I think it's important.

BENNIE, your last paragraph is dead on and see my above statement for one of the main reasons why.

For the record, I don't say anything here that I wouldn't say to someone's face and more than likely I already have.

I agree 100% with online registrations. With Roy's input, I'm sure this could be done. I myself am guilty of sending Roy my registration by email at the last minute multiple times. :)

However, currently, it would be a job for the National Meet Committee to tackle. The BOD no longer has any control over National Meets.

Guest my3buicks
I can assure you that the BOD will be looking at more modern enhancements for the website and updates on the electronic end soon.

It's really too bad that we can't just flip a switch and make everyone happy instantly.

However, we need to make sure that the bang for the buck is there and that fiscal responsibility is followed, this will take time.

That's good to know Paul, hopefully the push to upgrade will continue and more importantly that the BCA is proactive in keeping with the times and upgrades instead of having to play catch up. It's easier to make small upgrades regularly than having to do a full restoration.

Guest my3buicks

Brian interesting point. Hopefully if the BOD doesn't have any control over the national meets they at least have some control over the national meet committee, if not, we will have another entity in the BCA that does as they please