1956 Buick Roadmaster hidden for 30 years found

beardbros

I recently found a 1956 Roadmaster that has been hiding for the last 30 years in a building on the edge of a small midwestern town. The owner says it was driven into the building 30 years ago and has not been started or moved since then. The body is straight and rust free. It is original paint and the interior is also in very nice condition. The rear bumper needs rechroming and the drivers fender is missing its trim. The motor is free, not locked up. If anybody could help me figure out what to pay for this car and any particlular things I should know about 56' roadmasters it would be very much appreciated.

post-79454-143142419062_thumb.jpg

post-79454-143142419032_thumb.jpg

post-79454-143142419038_thumb.jpg

post-79454-143142419042_thumb.jpg

post-79454-143142419047_thumb.jpg

post-79454-143142419053_thumb.jpg

post-79454-143142419058_thumb.jpg

Edited by beardbros (see edit history)

Pictures of the engine bay and trunk would help tremendously. With the power windows,Selectronic radio with power antenna and rear speaker seems to be a highly optioned car. But no AC, too bad. The black exterior and red and black interior are beautiful together. I had a 56 Century in this interior and loved it. Here is an ad picture of that interior.

Need to know more about the condition of the car cosmetically and mechanically though in order to try and assess it's value. Just from what is seen so far could be anywhere from $8 to $18,000 I'd say.

buick_1956_interior_red_1.jpg

So the owner hasn't given you an idea what they want out of it?

Do you think they will accept whatever price you offer?

What are your plans for the car if you get it? Flip it or get road worthy and drive/show.

Actually looks like the paint might clean up fairly well. If it is truely rust free including floors,trunk, etc that is a huge plus. Killer color combo. Quite a nice find. If I found this car I would have a hard time containing my excitement and I'm not into the 50s Buicks!

Edited by JZRIV (see edit history)

Obviously your goal is probably to pay as little as possible. I'm with Jason, the seller must know what he/she wants for it. Long term storage means the gas tank needs dropped, all gas lines need replaced, brakes need redone. It's still in need of some restoration.

But, original paint, nice original interior and probably a motor and drivetrain that will allow at least local touring. I would say the seller should ask $5000-$7000 for the car.

I'm not sure that it is the original upholstery. I don't see the contrasting piping on the seatbacks that every other '56 Roadmaster seems to have. Still, a very nice well preserved car. Rebuild kits for the master cylinder can be hard to find since they are a one-year-only design.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

I would figure another $5,000-$7,000 in tires, brakes, hoses, radiator, water pump, engine bearings, possible rings, transmission service, fluid flushes, fuel pump, carburetor, fuel tank, exhaust, and other components that needed replacement before abandonment or deteriorated during the idle time. The next six months will be the most expensive and frustrating. 2015 would be quite enjoyable.

Ask the owner if you can bring a bucket in ans wash the car. Use a polishing cloth and a bottle of detail spray. I will have intimate knowledge of the car when you are done.

Bernie

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)

I'm not sure that it is the original upholstery. I don't see the contrasting piping on the seatbacks that every other '56 Roadmaster seems to have. Still, a very nice well preserved car. Rebuild kits for the master cylinder can be hard to find since they are a one-year-only design.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

The seats look to be all vinyl (or leather?) to me but I can't tell for sure.

Nice find and a good starting point. The car is 58 years old, has been 'stored' for 30 years, meaning it had been on the road for 28 years --- plenty of time for wear and problems. It was 'driven into storage'...was that after a successful cross country trip or did it just limp in ( there is usually a reason a car was taken off the road ). Price? Start at $1500 and assume everything needs to be repaired or restored.

Willie

Thanks for the input guys! My haggling with the owner today has put me at $10K on the purchase of this car, he started at $20K, I think I am going to go over there with a trailer and cash and try to leave with the car for around $7K. I expected to have to do all the mechanicals. The paint, chrome and interior will clean up nice. I am not sure if the interior is leather or vinyl, I will have to check on that. My plan for the car is clean it, get it driving and then drive it everyday that the weather permits. Does anybody have any advice on the transmission in this car? Just wondering if there is anything I should know about them.

Ask the owner why he let the uninsulated water line drip across the hood and fenders if the car was that valuable.

Be sure to open the door and let him breathe deep while discussing the price. Just guessing, but, from the looks of the building it is going to need some maloder counterreactant. If not at least you got a new vocabulary word.

Bernie

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)

Forgot to mention the lower rear bumper "J" bars, which appear to be dented, as usual. Good ones are unobtainable. PERIOD. They are usually dented, crushed and rusted out from the inside.

The Dynaflow transmissions can be expensive to rebuild if that is needed, but they are stout transmissions and usually hold up well. The seals can become brittle and leaky with age, especially if allowed to sit unused for many years.

Halfway decent looking '67 Plymouth Fury 2-dr. hardtop sitting next to the Buick.

.... My plan for the car is clean it, get it driving and then drive it everyday that the weather permits. Does anybody have any advice on the transmission in this car? Just wondering if there is anything I should know about them.

The 56 Dynaflow is a very nice transmission. As Pete said, it will leak. But do not think that means you have to jump on a rebuild. I recommend driving it until you determine if it is operating incorrectly based on the following:

In drive, you will not hear or feel a gear shift as you increase speed. That is normal. The car will lurch going into Low or Reverse, and may ring your ears with a scary KLUNK as you go into those gears. Again, this is not cause to jump into a rebuild. That noise can be reduced by warming the engine and getting the fast idle to dislodge. The regular idle speed for these engines is only 450 RPM. Considering it's age and reputed inactive state for several years, you may want to set the warm engine idle for 600 RPM till you run a few tanks of gas. The higher the idle, the greater the klunk. The worst thing you can do is drop it into reverse at fast idle. You will most likely cause the reverse band strut to dislodge if you do that and then you must look for drive through parking spots till you get that fixed.

My 56 Super will perform quite nicely from a stop. It will also feel like you have a passing gear if you put your foot into it while cruising. Don't let that feeling make you think something is wrong cause you only heard these cars were slow. They are definitely not slow. But I would not recommend burning rubber.

Another thing may cause concern. If it does not catch the parking pawl, the cause could be engine and transmission mounts. Parts are available and should be considered before adjusting the linkages. Just make sure your parking brake works till you have this sorted out.

It looks like a great car. It also does look like part of it has been repainted, and I recommend you look carefully at the tops of the rear quarters just below the rear windshield. A leaky window gasket can cause some damage in this area. Also look at the bottom of the rear quarters just in front of the rear tires. A common place for rust-through.

Good Luck...

I agree with Pete that the upholstery looks like it was redone in vinyl. I see no leather creases and Lamar's posting of the literature interior shows the lower part being cloth. I suspect the cloth wore out from 28 years of use and stains and someone along the line decided to replace with vinyl which is perfectly fine and probably more durable but incorrect. I think the seller would not discount the price for this reason, so it means little in the long run.

If it is leather then I believe it is still a reupholstery job but nice. Good luck, let us know the outcome.

I think the seller would not discount the price for this reason, so it means little in the long run.

He would if I were considering buying the car. All 4 of my road cars have the original interior in good to immaculate condition. If this were a '54, the fact that it has been reupholstered, correctly or not, would kill the deal for me.

Yes but you and I are probably much more knowledgeable about correct original interiors then this fellow, or most sellers. I can tell him till I am blue in the face that the incorrectly done interior is a price reducer but he won't probably care. All he will see is a nice interior which he will presume is correct.

I am surprised you have so many nice original interior cars given that these fabrics (to me) seemed much thinner then later fabrics.

Pictures of the engine bay and trunk would help tremendously. With the power windows,Selectronic radio with power antenna and rear speaker seems to be a highly optioned car. But no AC, too bad. The black exterior and red and black interior are beautiful together. I had a 56 Century in this interior and loved it. Here is an ad picture of that interior.

Need to know more about the condition of the car cosmetically and mechanically though in order to try and assess it's value. Just from what is seen so far could be anywhere from $8 to $18,000 I'd say.

buick_1956_interior_red_1.jpg

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

I agree. And the black part of the seats seems to be vinyl rather than the cloth. (see Lamar's picture of the sales brochure)