1925 franklin , steel ?

Guest 7gipsey

Guest 7gipsey

Hello, new guy here and looking for information on a recently purchased 1925 Franklin 11a? I have been researching the Franklins and find the aluminum body story interesting. But my newly purchased car has steel everything , what am I missing ? Purchased this car to build a motorhome from so there will be parts left to sell but I need to correctly advertise them so as not to misrepresent them to anyone. Thanks in advance, Gipsey

Guest 7gipsey

Yes Motorhome ! I have a very early Wayne bus that needs front sheet metal. My wife , a recent cancer survivor, wants to see the redwoods in California. I want to take her there in style, my idea of style anyway. Gipsey

May i suggest a different approach?

If you are using the Franklin sheet metal and body only, this might work, but NOT with any part of the Franklin engine or drivetrain.

If you use the existing truck engine and trans and drivetrain, a Franklin sheetmetal graft onto the coach might look rather interesting.

The Franklin's were made lightweight, in order to get acceptable performance out of their horsepower-limited aircooled engines..

If you were to put the Franklin engine in that motorhome, you'd have to gear it to have a top speed of 20mph in order to not not overheat or blowup the engine in short order.

It's just a matter of physics.. Power to weight ratio, body frontal area, driveline drag, etc..

There is a reason that most of the '20's commercial trucks only ran at 15-25mph under load !

Greg L

Guest 7gipsey

let me try to add some pictures !!post-99051-143142384679_thumb.jpg

the Franklin I bought at auction, rough but restorable ? Restored it is another 25 Franklin 4 door. Parted out it helps perhaps to save a couple more cars ?

The bus body has served as a fishing cabin for the last 40 years, I want it back on the road as a motorhome.

post-99051-143142384674_thumb.jpg

Guest 7gipsey

Well the above seems to have posted, this new computer works but I'm used to the old format .

Yes weight to HP, I plan on a later model drive line and engine. The cowl, fenders, hood and headlights are what I plan on using. I would like to use the windshield but haven't measured anything yet, to cold.

The sheet metal was all gone from the bus when I bought it, showing in the picture is 35 ford big truck sheet metal I had planed to use. Gipsey

Steve, my 27 11B has an aluminum body by Walker. Most 11Bs I have encountered have the aluminum body.

There was a batch of early Series 11 Bodies that are all steel made by Raulang, a successor of Rauch & Lang of electric car fame. The cars are a bit more sedate than a normal, aluminum bodied S-11.

Edited by Franklin-Madman (see edit history)

Guest 7gipsey

12 valve Cummings, love to do that, not at all in the budget.

post-99051-143142385572_thumb.jpgNot a good photo but that's the tag under the hood (RAULANG ) mystery solved, thank you.

GOOGLE 1925 bus and look at the photos, that's what were shooting to attain.

The cast iron are a little more art deco than mine hopes to be, but on the same line style wise.

Were looking for a heat wave Saturday, 40 f, and I hope to clean some more coon squat and corn snake skins out to find a serial #. I do believe the missing parts, steering wheel, seat fabric and wood structure were actually eaten!!!

Gipsey

• 3 weeks later...
Guest 7gipsey

taking the car apart, mostly with an air hose. The wood is so bad that high pressure air removes it. very good wood wheels and rime, doors with hardware, drive train and rear fenders almost ready to go up for sale.post-99051-143142407266_thumb.jpg[ATTACH=CONFIG]236469[/ATTACH

post-99051-143142407271_thumb.jpg

Edited by 7gipsey (see edit history)