Gas Tank Restoration Suggestions

hddennis

Want to see if all the varied knowledge here can bail me out once again. All I can find for a gas tank is a very rusty and porous one for my 1917 Maxwell. It is cowl mounted and very special in shape. I've split it in half and stripped one half to bare metal in molasses and just now came up with the idea of coating the two halves in fiberglass cloth and resin inside and out to strengthen and seal it and then bond both halves back together. This would have worked fine years ago but with this new ethanol tainted gas we are now forced to use I'm hearing boat owners are having fuel tank problems. Anyone know of an ethanol resistant resin I can use?

Howard Dennis

post-33891-143142322083_thumb.jpg

post-33891-143142322103_thumb.jpg

post-33891-143142322121_thumb.jpg

Any luck with the fuel tank

Merry Christmas!! No luck on the tank. Had one local firm kind of put my idea off and suggest I just use gas tank sealer. I may go back to them yet and ask them to do it with no guarantee. They are a boat repair firm and have the equipment. I'm currently soaking the tank halves in my molasses vat to remove the rust. After the holidays I think I'll make one more effort to find someone locally with a fiberglass chopper gun to spray the tank halves.

Happy Holidays,

Howard Dennis

Merry Christmas!! No luck on the tank. Had one local firm kind of put my idea off and suggest I just use gas tank sealer. I may go back to them yet and ask them to do it with no guarantee. They are a boat repair firm and have the equipment. I'm currently soaking the tank halves in my molasses vat to remove the rust. After the holidays I think I'll make one more effort to find someone locally with a fiberglass chopper gun to spray the tank halves.

Happy Holidays,

Howard Dennis

I wouldn't try the fiberglass. I just sent the tank out of my 57' Buick to these guys. http://www.gastankrenu.com/ The closest dealer to me was California or Utah. I sent it to California. Shipping was 21.00 down, I just used stretch wrap, and they said total would be 375.00 shipped back to my door and it has a lifetime guarantee. You could send the two halves just the way the are and they will put it back together patch any metal work and then seal both inside and out. Looks like there is a dealer in FL & KY

Howard, Some suggestions. Not clear if the tank is visible on the cowl/firewall or is it concealed which may dictate the solution.

1. Make a new tank by cutting out peices from a flat sheet, bend as needed and have them TIG welded (stiched) together. This is much like the gas tank reproduction process as shown on some of the custom motorcycle shows. Would suggest making a full size cardboard pattern and duct tape the seams to iron out problem seams. You would have to find a fabricator in you area willing to work with you. The final shape may not be pretty, but it would be functional.

2. Make a new tank similar to the above suggestion by cutting out the two halves in a single sheet, make any necessary bends or nothes, and TIG or MIG the two halves together and then use water pressure to pressure form the tank. This is done in the motorcycle exhaust system trade called expansion chambers-necessary for 2 stroke engines to provide back pressure. There are a couple of Utube videos and vendors on this to get familiar with this trade. Investigate to see if one of them maybe willing to take this on if you provide either the cut out pattern or the cardboard model. Finding someone who already does this saves you the aggravation of setting up and operating the apparatus needed to do this. The final shape would be closer to the original (desirable if any of it is exposed).

(part 2)

(part 3) Edited by Friartuck (see edit history)

If it is that bad it may be better to make a new tank. I would use quality galvanized steel, soldered together. This will make a strong, rust proof tank. Welding won't work on galvanized. You can weld steel bu plain steel will rust away in a year if it is exposed to gas.

A good ductwork shop, tin shop or sheet metal shop could do the work for you.

Stainless steel would be great but very expensive. There are shops that weld thin stainless together to make sinks, counters, etc for restaurants and factories. They could make you a stainless tank.

I had gas tank reu do a tank for me a few years back , boy did they made a mess of it . Then when I took it Back they told me to bad . In not as nice words , Had valley ford make me one of stainless . It was les money than reu. charged , and a lot nicer people to deal with. Just had them make one for my 1930 Oakland that I am restoring now Kings32

• 2 weeks later...

I am a fabricator and gas tanks are hateful builds, but, it is gasoline going in there and it is going to be above your lap. This is another of those things you don't shortcut. It really needs to be welded steel with internal baffles to keep the sloshing down. Hateful things to build.

• 4 weeks later...

I recommend trying a good tinsmith shop in your area. I had a new tank made for my '36 Dodge from galvanized steel with rolled and soldered seams. The tinner made and installed a new baffle as well as all the steel reinforcements for the sender and outlets. Soldering is the way to go as welding will only cause rusting at the seams and it ensures a tight seal. The cost was about $350.00 and it fit perfectly.