Dynaflo or Th-400 performance

Guest Steeleco

Guest Steeleco

Does anyone have any thoughts regarding which transmission performs better circa 1963 1964 Riviera. Does the TH-400 (or maybe its an ST-400) get the car better fuel economy? Any thought on reliability etc? Just currious.

Thanks.

Edited by Steeleco (see edit history)

The Dynaflow gives you the classic smooth drive the Buick was known for. It does not start quick off the line. It is pretty reliable.

The later model transmissions shift, so they start you out faster. That shifting generates heat, wears on bands and clutches. But for the limited miles we put on these cars, not a big deal.

MPG for the three are going to be about the same. You have to go to a much later transmission with overdrive to get a boost in fuel economy. Keep it tuned up and keep the carb clean to get best fuel economy. On all of them, you just have to go easy on the gas pedal to improve your MPG. Hard to do with all that power under the hood screaming to get out and show you what it can do.

Personally, I recommend you stay with what you have. Everyone who rides in my '63 comments on how smooth it is.

Personally, I recommend you stay with what you have. Everyone who rides in my '63 comments on how smooth it is.

I agree with what Jim says 100%. Mainly because the change over from a Dynaflow to an ST400 is much more than a simple R&R. You'd have to have a different carburetor, a different trans cross member (and the frames are not drilled for both) a different shifter lever, which means a different wiring harness, and the list goes on. You'd spend way more $$ on the conversion than you'd ever save on gas.

Unless you're looking for a total performance package, stick with the Dynaflow - best cruising trans on the market. If you do want performance, then you'd want to step up to the 65 - 66 ST400 with the switch pitch converter and avoid the ST400 from the '64.

Ed

Tough one. All comments are valid regarding PITA for the conversion and how smooth the Dynaflow is if you like that.

But, the Dynaflow did not get the nickname "Dynaslush" from nowhere. :)

I've also heard them being called Dynaflops too but could never understand why.

I've had to have TH's rebuilt but never a Dynaflow or whatever else they've been called.

• 9 years later...

This just popped up on FB. In 1963, Motor Trend tested a new Riviera and posted some 1/4 mile times and speeds - 401 and a Dynaflow. They did it again in 1964. This time the Riviera had the 425 and the ST400.  Their 1963 times and mph were better than those from 1964.  I’m hoping that my copy and paste works here so you can read it for yourself.

https://www.curbsideclassic.com/vintage-reviews/vintage-road-test-1963-buick-riviera-hot-rod-buick-even-without-the-optional-bigger-v8/

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, RivNut said:

This just popped up on FB. In 1963, Motor Trend tested a new Riviera

Yes, the link successfully directs to the Curbsideclassic.com Riviera posted today October 19th.

I've visited this site before where they featured my Father's 1st new American car. He specifically ordered a stripper 1965 Biscayne. The 4-door was the same price as a 2-door, bonus! Anyway, surprised to see the feature car a Canadian cheapo unit as well. Not Plain-Jane, rare! never seen a bare bones 1965 Chevrolet before even back then. My Dad's previous NEW cars in Canada were a Ford Prefect and Triumph Mayflower. CHEAP!

Curbsiteclassics.com appears to be Canadian. Many images from my locale here in Edmonton and Western Canada.

• Thanks 1

Try this to go to the Automotive History Preservation Society website . . .

//autohistorypreservationsociety.org/wp-content/uploads/1963-04-MT-BUICK-Riviera-test-1-6.pdf

The complete road test, including a picture of how the Turbine Wheels work.

For the heavier 1966 GS with 3.42 rear axle ratio . . .

//automistorypreservationsociety.org/wp-content/uploads/1966-02-CL-1966-Buick-Riviera-GS-Test-1-5.pdf

See if those work,

NTX5467

Edited by NTX5467 (see edit history)

I live in New York and have more pictures of my cars on dirt roads than people from the sticks.

That picture of me under power was taken by my son, lying on his stomach by the side of the dirt road as I approached at 50 MPH on biased tires and drum brakes. Talk about your Yahoos.

Here is one of those "Headed down that long lonesome highway" pictures. Stationary. I was alone.

044.JPG.23269af1bc0986d69f21ac5b083abc6f.JPG

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)
  • Like 2