Texas Road Warriors....With the Luck of the Irish

Bill Stoneberg

With some of that famous Irish Luck that South bend is known for, all us folks from Texas will be up to South Bend Soon.

I know Roy and Michelle leave middle of this week, I leave next Saturday, Willie and Mary Anne will be there in their 55

and Pete will bring something to drive. Mike may not come, its still arm twisting time with him. He did just do the Great Race though.

I am having driveshaft issues on my Riviera and am hoping to get it fixed in time.

Looking to see you all soon and please keep it cool for us.

Does yours have the CV joints like mine? In my LeSabre I had to get one rebuilt; It seems like it was a six or seven hundred dollar repair and had to be sent to a shop in Ft Worth that specialized in drive shafts. My Riv has two of those joints rather than the one in the LeSabre. I pray it doesn't have to be redone.

Use this forums' search feature to find some of our previous (mis)adventures. We have not decided on departure, route, etc....but will "take off like we know what we're doing, drive like I aint't got no place to go and no hurry to get there."

Willie

Just got back from the driveshaft shop....Oh my...

The front shaft that the carrier bearing on is worn to the point of the bearing able to wiggle on the shaft A LOT. Its trashed and I am hoping the one I found is good.

Its starting to be questionable about the Riviera.

As far as Willie's comments about "drive like I aint't got no place to go and no hurry to get there.", that aint me. I drive like a bat out of hell with someplace to go.

If I cant 600 miles a day (or sometimes more) I feel like a slacker.

As far as Willie's comments about "drive like I aint't got no place to go and no hurry to get there.", that aint me. I drive like a bat out of hell with someplace to go.

If I cant 600 miles a day (or sometimes more) I feel like a slacker.

That makes me a REAL SLACKER. Been here for 6 days and have only got as far as San Reno New Mexico. Should get into Texas today unless we find more good stuff to look at ( and food and beer ).

Nancy and I arrived in Central Indiana Saturday. I have a brother here and we are staying with Nancy's sister. Worked on a local dentist Reatta headlight on Monday. Will leave for SB on Tuesday (16th) see you there......we will miss Mike.

Adam

We never run in caravans...just a few to a bunch of independent guerrillas.

Anyhow my navigator has put together some tentative plans:

Monday --- Seguin, TX to Texarkana, TX

Tuesday ---Texarkana, TX to Cape Girardeau, MO

Wednesday ---Cape Girardeau, MO to South Bend IN

... so there is a chance to run together for awhile...I have your cell number; let me know

Willie

Guest wildcat465
Cape girardeau is about 1.5 hours from St. Louis. If I could hook up that would be great. I my jump ahead early...depends on how I feel.

Thanks Willie!

Would that make you a Heartland Hooligan Road Warrior? :)

After relaxing in Memphis today, seeing Graceland and eating Bar B Que along with sleeping 15 hours, it back in the car for another 600 miles tomorrow.

I hate to say it but 500 miles a day sure sounds better right now.. Maybe on the way home.. Yea right.

By the way if you ever got to Graceland, take plenty of cash, every "attraction" dumps you into a gift shiop.

Finally South Bend! Another 450 miles, but the longest day. Construction delays, broken fan belt....one of the two a/c, generator and water pump belts (why only one of 2?). No big deal to get the other belts on track, but it also tore off one of those &*%$#@*& tower top clamps (lower radiator clamp at the water pump) I did not have a radiator clamp, so I used two heater hose clamps. The gas in this area is expensive and drive-ability is is crap. It is even more volatile than south Texas: carb percolates at every stop, vapor lock without the electric pump.

Party time!

Willie

I am finally home after a side trip to Misissippi.

3250 Miles.

Cheapest gas was in Mississippi and most expensive was in Illinois. Worst roads was a tie

between Illinois and Louisiana Bump Bump Bump all day in the right hand lane.

Illinois had the slowest speed on the interstate at 65 while Texas was 75. All others we mainly 70 mph.

Saw more police in Louisiana then anywhere else.

Monday all day from Nashville to New Orleans was rain, rain and more rain.

I knew I was close to home when the bathroom signs were in both English and Spanish.

Edited by Bill Stoneberg (see edit history)

I'm sorry that I didn't post anything during the trip, but I was pretty busy. Since July 4th holiday was on Thursday, I left Friday to start my 18 day trip. I had two car shows to attend this time, on back-to-back weekends. The first one was the annual Arthritis Foundation Auto Show in Columbus which BCA member and past president Jeff Brashares has been running for 30 years now. Then on to South Bend for the Buick Nationals. But first, a little baseball. My 12 year old son, Robert, and I are baseball fans, so we decided to take advantage of the trip and see a little baseball. Get your US map out to follow along. July 3 and 4 was the hometown Texas Rangers; July 5 - Kansas City Royals; July 6 - St. Louis Cardinals; July 7 - Cincinnati Reds; July 8 - Milwaukee Brewers; and July 9 - Chicago Cubs. 7 games in 6 ballparks in 7 days. I was then in Columbus for the first auto show, went to the Detroit Tigers game on Sunday, July 14, then on to South Bend afterwards. After the BCA Nationals, I was able to go to a Chicago White Sox game on my way home. Got home Monday, July 22. 3,600 miles, and almost 72 hours in the car. But me and the boy had a great time jumpng around to all the ballparks. Buicks and Baseball. Yep, we had a great time.

Made it home yesterday with no new issues on the road. However I noticed a new oil leak at the right front (I know, it's a Buick). Turns out it is the a/c compressor leaking oil. Refrigerant level was still OK, but I pumped that out today (R-12). Probably all related to the broken belt...used only one belt since I could not get a matched set of 2 so I used only one and I had to tighten that one much tighter than you should and it probably distorted the seal. Seal will get replaced when weather is cooler.

Drove 2900 miles; 16.2 mpg.

These meets for me just keep getting better! I noticed a few cars, but the best part was all you forum buddies and others.

Willie