How to run a Ford A (or similar) across USA?

Guest bikemaniac

Guest bikemaniac

Hi Forum,

I have a dream. I want to drive an old banged up Ford A (or similar vintage car) across USA. The main idea is to challenge myself and do all mechanical repairs on the road side. If the radiator breaks, I need to find a scrap yard and find another radiator from a different car and fit it to the vintage car. Maybe I need garden hoses for the project. Anyhow, I want to see how far I can go by myself without any professional assistance. Prior to start I will bring a complete socket set and some spanners.

Here some data:

1. The car should be very cheap. Lots of rust, cracks, dents, awful upholstery is OK, but mechanically it should be running on the day of purchase.

2. I want to drive it from East coast to West Coast.

3. It would be nice to be able to sell the car in CA, OR, WA and make a small profit, however it is not mandatory.

4. The project should last approx. 1 month.

Problem:

I am from Denmark, Europe and don't have residence in USA. I have a feeling this gives problems in terms of insurance, registration of the car. I can come here on a 90 day tourist visa. Is there an easy work around all the paper stuff?

Question:

Any ideas on how to do such a challenge/adventure?

Lucas

Sounds like a real adventure. Sounds like your just as nutz as me. ;) The condition of the Body is not as importiant as the condition of the running gear and drive train. The Automobile has to be in good enough condition to pass inspection to be roadable. A Model A Ford in good condition would have no problem going across the county and back again. Finding good Model A parts in junk yards along the highway is a pipe dream. Very little of this stuff left in scrap yards. Better take along a parts book from one of the supply houses. If you have a problem and need parts you can give them a CC card number and have the parts shipped with in a few days. Finding a Good running Model A Ford Cheep is going to be another problem. Both "Good" and "Cheep" do not go hand in hand with a vintage vehicle that is 70 + years old. If you only have a month to do this in, you will need a car that has paper work and can be transfered quickly. Insurance can be had, but I'm not sure that Antique Car insurance would cover you on such an adventure as you are not going to a show or gathering of old cars. What are decent roadworthy Model A's selling for these days? Expect to pay at least $10,000 and upward to $20,000 for anything that is worthy of traversing the 3000 + mile trip. Dandy Dave!

28 Chrysler has the right idea. I agree with his excellent suggestion. With a few spare parts, a Model A Ford in good original mechanical condition should easily be able to make such a trip. You would easily be able to get any reproduction parts needed fairly quickly and lots of folks would be happy to help you with any mechanical issues that may develop on a Model A Ford almost anywhere in the country. If you choose the West to East version of this trip, I would be potentially interested in buying the car from you when you arrive on the East Coast at the conclusion of your trip.

Model A is a good choice as they are common and all parts are available. You should prepare by joining or contacting all Model A clubs and getting their membership lists. I think most members will support such a project. They may help you find a suitable car, and members you can contact for support along the way.

Guest Skyking

I hope you are planning to make this trip on back roads. I hear some speed limits in states like Texas are 85 mph..........Yikes!

The Lincoln Highway turns 100 this year. You could probably find a lot of support or even get a few people to tour with you. Try looking on ebay or AutoTrader Classics there are a lot of cars to choose from. I'll second what others have said about going West to East, a California car will sell for more on the east coast.

Edited by richasco (see edit history)

A number of years ago Peter Egan (who writes a great monthly column in Road & Track Magazine) had a two part travel report on driving from Wisconsin to California in a Model A Ford. It is well worth reading and goes into the planning necessary to make that sort of trip and what Peter and his friend ran into along the way.

Guest bikemaniac

Actually, I want to do it from East to West because I have relatives in AZ and I want to make some holidays at the end of the trip. But also because I want to get the feelings of the settlers moving slowly from East to West.

A few years ago I participated in this:

Banjul Challenge, Banjul Rally, Banjul Banger Rally, Banjul | Dakar Challenge 2013

It was nice, but people bring cars that already are too complicated. Many cars never make it to the end because they cannot be fixed. This is why I'm looking for a car where parts can be made in a local workshop. It should all be very very simplistic and straightforward. But maybe I'm wrong: That the Model A has parts which are extremely difficult to replace unless you have special tools, special parts etc.

In terms of car condition I imagine somthing like this:

Ford : Model A base in Ford | eBay Motors

You all mention something about planning the trip. I don't want to plan annything at all. I just want to go and see what happens. I really don't have any intention on importing the car to my home country. It should just be a summer challenge - probably 2014.

I will only go on quite back roads and avoid all interstates and high speed highways. Maybe doing 200 mi/day should be a fair pace.

Do you have any information on how to acquire a 30 day temporary license plate (interstate and not just intrastate) incl insurance? I think this is the only way to go.

First thing would be to get it running and be sure it does not have any knocks, or you may not even get out of the driveway. It is not uncommon to have a cracked and broken up rear main bearing in Model A that has, "Never been touched." You can get a general idea by the end play on the front pulley. This happens when a cowboy driver dumps the clutch constantly and the thrust part of the babbit bearing breaks away. Next would be to put new tires on it. No way 30 + year old tires will take you very Far. Also lube it checking all oil levels and greasing everything before you go. You will need a good radiator that does not over heat the car or you will not make it far. If you get something like this you can aways send it here to me and I will help you go though it before your journey. I am in the east where Conn, Mass, and NY all come together. The west coast is about 3,000 miles from here and you will be starting 100 miles north of NYC. Dandy Dave!

Lucas,

Welcome to the AACA ... beer.gif

My advice is to consider a Model T

There is a great Model T forum with a built in support group here @ Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2013

There is a good classified ad section where you can buy a Model T here @ Model T Swap Site

The Lincoln Highway is the road to travel .... thumbs.gif

I take it whenever I can .... Twocents.gif

Jim drive.gif

Edited by Trulyvintage (see edit history)

Lucas,

Welcome to the AACA ... beer.gif

My advice is to consider a Model T

There is a great Model T forum with a built in support group here @ Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2013

There is a good classified ad section where you can buy a Model T here @ Model T Swap Site

The Lincoln Highway is the road to travel .... thumbs.gif

I take it whenever I can .... Twocents.gif

Jim drive.gif

Another fine choice. You will drive a little slower and see more. Parts are also available and a good network of people to help you out if you run into probems. Forget about finding parts in salvage yards for this early car unless the owner is a Model T man. Do not leave home without a spare set of Quick change bands. Best if equiped with Rocky Mountian Brakes for the hills in the Western USA. Dandy Dave!

First thing would be to get it running and be sure it does not have any knocks, or you may not even get out of the driveway. It is not uncommon to have a cracked and broken up rear main bearing in Model A that has, "Never been touched." You can get a general idea by the end play on the front pulley. This happens when a cowboy driver dumps the clutch constantly and the thrust part of the babbit bearing breaks away. Next would be to put new tires on it. No way 30 + year old tires will take you very Far. Also lube it checking all oil levels and greasing everything before you go. You will need a good radiator that does not over heat the car or you will not make it far. If you get something like this you can aways send it here to me and I will help you go though it before your journey. I am in the east where Conn, Mass, and NY all come together. The west coast is about 3,000 miles from here and you will be starting 100 miles north of NYC. Dandy Dave!

Did you catch the part where he wants to go from the east coast to California, Oregon or Washington by way of Arizona? And has 90 days to buy a car, fix it up, complete the trip and sell the car before returning home?

I would suggest starting from Georgia, Florida or maybe New Orleans and buying a car from the forties or fifties. And don't try a trip through the desert in summer in an old car with no air conditioning. I don't know which is the coolest month but that is when I would go.

If an AACA member had a suitable car you could buy, you might be able to avoid a lot of grief and preparation, if they had a car they use for touring that was ready for a long trip.

I wouldn't consider a Model T.

Oh heck. Cross the Dessert at night. Bring lots of gas and water and run the throttle up to keep the lights bright. When the sun comes up pitch a tent and sleep with the rattle snakes and scorpions. Where's your sense of adventure... :P LOL.. (Even I ain't that crazy.) Dandy Dave!

• 3 months later...
Guest bikemaniac
Oh heck. Cross the Dessert at night. Bring lots of gas and water and run the throttle up to keep the lights bright. When the sun comes up pitch a tent and sleep with the rattle snakes and scorpions. Where's your sense of adventure... :P LOL.. (Even I ain't that crazy.) Dandy Dave!

Update:

I posted a new thread here:

http://forums.aaca.org/f140/help-checklist-buying-model-wreck-355682.html

but without getting any answers. Thus, I will try here again. I talked to the owner of the Model A wreck and he tells me the engine is seized and cannot be turned.

Anyone has a recipe/checklist for how to quickly determine where the seizure is? Pistons, valves, starter motor? I do have a snake camera which I will bring to look into the combustion chamber by removing the plugs. Is there a definite "run-away-alarm"?

Lucas

Is there a definite "run-away-alarm"?
If the car does not run NOW, just run away from it fast.

If you want to buy a car to drive across the USA, it needs to be in very good condition now: not a wreck that needs 10's of thousands spent on it

Edited by 1939_buick (see edit history)

We have a pretty much all original '31 Tudor that seems to run well but has never been "restored" in any sense. We have cleaned and sealed the fuel tank, rebuilt the carb and rebuilt the front suspension somewhat. Price is $8500 including transport within 500 miles. We are in Southern PA and aren't dealers. We do restoration work and this is a car I bought a few years ago and never have time to use.