1933 Continental coupe - save it if you hurry

Rusty_OToole

The other day I posted something about a 33 Continental Beacon Coupe that was being hot rodded. Today the shop that is doing the work posted this.

"So here is a little info on this car. It will be turned into a real hot rod(not rat). The owner wanted a mid 30's hot rod with suicide style doors. He got a hold of this one and tried to sell it several times. He didn't really want to cut it up, but he had absolutely no luck selling it. It was on ebay a couple times and never brought much value. Not even close enough to buy a 33 ford coupe body.

I am fixing the rust on it, which there is very little. And doing a mild chop and channel. The owner has already purchased a 331 hemi, hilborn injection, tremec 5 spd. His plans are gloss black high boy with a hood top and original grill. He also has already purchased 15x10 chrome reverse wheels with pie crust slicks. This car will be pure hot rod and a very cool one at that.

http://www.facebook.com/HighleysHotRodsRestoration"

If you think this one of a kind car deserves to be kept original or restored, there may be time to save it if you hurry.

StillOutThere, I would agree with you IF the car had been put on the market at fair market value.

The seller wants enough money to replace it with a 1933-34 Ford coupe body, real Henry steel, so you're talking 20-25K (if I'm up on current hot rod pricing). I believe a NEW steel body is available, but again, at $25K or more. The car in question isn't worth that, no matter how rare it is.

RARE does not always mean VALUABLE. A number of years ago (1989 to be precise) I owned a 1947 Davis three wheeler (I still have an emblem off the car!), and when I when I went to sell the newly painted, chromed, upholstered car, advertised it nationwide and finally had ONE offer....for under 5 digits...and had to sell it..which I regret, but they only made 17 of the darned things. So, you can have a rare car and everyone can say "interesting" but it won't bring big bucks when it gets down to it.....

The thing I find most interesting about the Continental Coupe in question is the TOTAL LACK of interest in it here on the AACA Forum. Last time I looked at one of several threads on the HAMB there was all kinds of interest and newly found info posted on it. If you are looking for auto historians you now know were to look. Bob

This new thread on the coupe has a distinct smell to it.

Read all the posts again... it sounds like the average restorer thinks resale value in deciding to buy a car, rather than is it a car I like, love, or think it's cool looking?

Most rods are built for the fun of building and the fun of driving.

You guys have me wondering. :)

There are additional layers of interest to saving an historical vehicle.

Maybe they'll be more interest when this thing's been obsoleted, melted down, and made into an early Kia electric car that somehow gets preserved in it's original condition for 80 years.:(

This new thread on the coupe has a distinct smell to it.

Read all the posts again... it sounds like the average restorer thinks resale value in deciding to buy a car, rather than is it a car I like, love, or think it's cool looking?

You guys have me wondering. :)

I think the current economic situation, especially in the US, has many of us members limiting the number of bottomless pits we decide to throw money in, to what we currently have disassembled in our garages.

That being said I think we are just being cautious with any new projects we add to be sure our finances can handle it. You really have to love a car like this to want to do it. I guess nobody is truly in love with it. With hundereds of thousands of projects available one can find a better project to bury themselves in for less money and still have just as much to do, but a little more money to start with to accomplish that.

I'm quite sure the original buyer didn't pay 20,000 for this to turn it into a hot rod. If he flipped it for a small profit to a restorer he would be further ahead to take that and buy the Ford he really wants. When he gets done, this still won't be a Ford.

When the time comes to sell it when it's done I'm pretty sure he will wish it was a Ford he spent his resources on.

Sounds like a shop is doing the work so it won't be a cheap build regardless of what they do.

The only "in general" point I was trying to make, is that if a person sees a very rare car that he fell in love with at first sight, toss the buyers guide aside and grab it, if it is affordable to you.

When I found my 32 Nash, I never bothered to look at a price guide. The very elderly friend of mine who gives me his last years guides, would have looked at the guide first. That's not my style; if I see something that rocks my world, and if I can swing it, I drag it home. I know what something is worth to me, at any given moment.

If that 33 coupe was a Ford, and if most people here thought was overpriced, there would be no reason to buy the overpriced one, because there are plenty more out there. If someone really wanted that Continental, how can you base a sales price, if none ever change hands. At that point, with no recorded sales, you go by common sense as to should you pay it, or let it go. This is where having piles of unused funds come in, or if a person just plain desperately wanted that make/model, and can't find one. (like trying to find a car exactly like your Dad had new; then it could/would be "worth" more)

A very long time ago, one of the hobby newspapers or magazine did an interview with the guy who started the big auctions. His words stuck with me when he said "no man knows the true value of any car, until the money changes hands". It stuck because I know people have been caught in a big auction frenzy, and later sell at 50% because they had to. So, if a car sells this afternoon for X number, it might not get that in the morning. And it goes back to the guy wanting a 33 just like Dad had new. He will pay more than any guide "suggests".

All, I am saying is that sometimes, I get real passionate about a car I have. At that point, I don't care how "important" the guy is who asks me if it's for sale, nor do I give a rats tail how much money he has. (ever tell a rich person that they can't have something?...it's quite a conversation :) ...and this is where unreal auction prices come from)

Edited by F&J (see edit history)

Guest Rob McDonald

I try not to disparage anyone's choice in old cars, partly because of my own off-the-beaten-track tastes (see signature below). I had to do a bit of digging to find an image of any '33 Continental coupe, which goes to show how unique this car is.

I don't know much about this make, other than that it descended from the DeVaux, in which Billy Durant's financial trickery figures somehow. The Continental car was a short-lived project of Continental Motors, the engine builder. I believe it was a late example of an "assembled car", of which the maker itself manufactured very little but the Red Seal engine. They instead specified their needs and purchased most other components, including overall design, from multiple suppliers. Even assembly of the cars may have been contracted out.

They were shooting for the low- and almost low-end of a very difficult Depression market. Styling was safe and pretty dull, one has to admit - not industrial design contractor Alexis de Sakhnoffsky's best work. So, this example of an unsuccessful and therefore rare competitor to the 1933 Ford, Chevrolet, and Plymouth may get a new life as a hot rod. It could thus achieve notice and admiration for the first time in its 80 years of existance. As car lovers first and purists second, who are we to criticize its place in the sun?

My only caution to Highleys Hot Rod's patron is that after all the money is spent, he still won't have the winning Ford he sought when this also-ran Continental came along.

The cars were just ordinary. Even the grille badge lacked inspiration.

post-59990-143141779234_thumb.jpg

post-59990-143141779236_thumb.jpg

They were shooting for the low- and almost low-end of a very difficult Depression market. Styling was safe and pretty dull, one has to admit - not industrial design contractor Alexis de Sakhnoffsky's best work. So, this example of an unsuccessful and therefore rare competitor to the 1933 Ford, Chevrolet, and Plymouth .......

So, maybe you have figured out why nobody stepped up to keep it original? ...it's either not stylish enough, or maybe does not have a collectible status? Interesting points

I don't know. I think it's pretty stylish.
I agree, but then I like all cars from 32 and 33, as these years have styling features that lasted only a year or two before getting less sleek. :)

I still think it is a shame the coupe will become a fenderless channeled car, as those styling features will be gone, just leaving a coupe shell that won't be as desirable as a Ford channeled hotrod, like was said in another post.

I personally find it a bit offensive when someone tries to sell a car by using threat. "If one of you restoration types doesn't pay big $ for this car RIGHT NOW it will be street rodded TOMORROW". Maybe I'll try that...If someone doesn't buy this '48 Buick Woodie project it will be burned TOMORROW.

The only "in general" point I was trying to make, is that if a person sees a very rare car that he fell in love with at first sight, toss the buyers guide aside and grab it, if it is affordable to you.

When I found my 32 Nash, I never bothered to look at a price guide. The very elderly friend of mine who gives me his last years guides, would have looked at the guide first. That's not my style; if I see something that rocks my world, and if I can swing it, I drag it home. I know what something is worth to me, at any given moment.

If that 33 coupe was a Ford, and if most people here thought was overpriced, there would be no reason to buy the overpriced one, because there are plenty more out there. If someone really wanted that Continental, how can you base a sales price, if none ever change hands. At that point, with no recorded sales, you go by common sense as to should you pay it, or let it go. This is where having piles of unused funds come in, or if a person just plain desperately wanted that make/model, and can't find one. (like trying to find a car exactly like your Dad had new; then it could/would be "worth" more)

A very long time ago, one of the hobby newspapers or magazine did an interview with the guy who started the big auctions. His words stuck with me when he said "no man knows the true value of any car, until the money changes hands". It stuck because I know people have been caught in a big auction frenzy, and later sell at 50% because they had to. So, if a car sells this afternoon for X number, it might not get that in the morning. And it goes back to the guy wanting a 33 just like Dad had new. He will pay more than any guide "suggests".

All, I am saying is that sometimes, I get real passionate about a car I have. At that point, I don't care how "important" the guy is who asks me if it's for sale, nor do I give a rats tail how much money he has. (ever tell a rich person that they can't have something?...it's quite a conversation :) ...and this is where unreal auction prices come from)

I paid twice what book said for my 36 Chrysler shown in my avitar and it needed a complete engine rebuild, Brakes, tires and other work, just to be driveable. I still always try to figure value into cars I want. I guess I take the emotion out of a car purchase when it comes time to start counting out the green and think some day I'm going to want to sell this to get a different car. Do I really want to lose a bunch of money and have to settle for a lesser car next time because of a poor choice this time? Is there a better car that I will like just as much or more.

I guess I like alot of cars from the 30's-early 60's so if this car doesn't pan out I will find another.

I have a very long bucket list.:cool:

I paid twice what book said for my 36 Chrysler

This is where true "passion" has the upper hand on "value" in dollars.

One member here recently said about his Cord..."my car is nowhere near running or roadworthy, so all I can do right now is minor cosmetics... but every time I walk into the shop, I stare at it." (the beauty or styling). There is a guy who is not thinking about just the bottom line. Some see this hobby as money return at some point in time, and some have the true passion for a particular car.

Guest Rob McDonald

BARRY, in Rusty's introduction, I'd missed that this coupe is the four-cylinder Beacon. The pecking order went Beacon, Flyer, Ace. Sorry, online images are pretty scarce, so I don't know how they differed in appearance. I can't imagine the little Beacon could have been any prettier than the bigger, longer Ace in the magazine ad. Most cars of the early '30s depended heavily on wheelbase to achieve their good looks.

You're right too, that William Durant's involvement in the Continental is pretty sketchy. The DeVaux-Hall company had assumed assets of the bankrupt Durant Motors, a longtime purchaser of Continental engines. When DeVaux itself went under not long after, Continental Motors was stuck with a $500,000 unpaid bill for engines, so they seized the remains of both defunct carmakers. In effect, a bad debt propelled them into the car business. Not surprisingly, they didn't invest much more into it, which is why Continental cars of any sort are so rarely seen today. The company lives on, incidentally, as division of Teledyne, manufacturing aircraft engines.

I agree with you, that green sedan is a stylish car but it's stylish in the sense that a fedora hat was stylish at the time. Everyone wore them but you'd have to look at the inside band to tell one from another. Some other marginal carmakers of the time, notably Auburn and Graham, put big dollars into unique styling. It didn't save Auburn but it did get Graham through the Depression and left us with some pretty special cars to enjoy today.

I love your Continental Mark II convertible, by the way. I had it as my computer background at work for quite a while last year.

This is where true "passion" has the upper hand on "value" in dollars.

One member here recently said about his Cord..."my car is nowhere near running or roadworthy, so all I can do right now is minor cosmetics... but every time I walk into the shop, I stare at it." (the beauty or styling). There is a guy who is not thinking about just the bottom line. Some see this hobby as money return at some point in time, and some have the true passion for a particular car.

That was my post and my Cord. I did consider value when I bought my car as the only ones I had ever seen before were in much worse shape and the sellers were asking 50 percent more than I paid for mine. If it would have been priced as it should have been, I would have never been able to afford it. The entry level price for open cords is pretty high if they still resemble a car.

post-43003-143141782542_thumb.jpg

post-43003-143141782538_thumb.jpg

Guest Rob McDonald

SEEKER OF AUBURNS, who cares if that beauty ever runs again? I would happily invest low five figures in garage art of that calibre.

SEEKER OF AUBURNS, who cares if that beauty ever runs again? I would happily invest low five figures in garage art of that calibre.

Well it wasn't real low 5 figures but as mentioned it was 2/3 as much as comparable ones in the same shape.

It is the most expensive piece of garage art I have at this point. Plans are not for it to be garage art forever though but eventually returned to the road.

It's still nice to look at though everyday as I work in the shop:). Makes quite a statement too when people come in the shop of which there are very few, just some regular friends. .

I have to admit, the 3" chop made the car look better than the original. If men didn't wear such sill hats this is what the car would have looked like. Amazingly, what he's created looks exactly like the promotional literature produced by Continental.

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg18/barry2952/1933%20Continental/058a6ede-9ca7-4551-b5b5-97e5c32c0940_zps8e7103c2.jpg

http://i815.photobucket.com/albums/zz79/hotrodhighley/1933%20Continental%20Coupe/DSC_0939_zpsad46bb6c.jpg

Edited by Barry Wolk (see edit history)

You are correct. The chop was done perfectly so as to keep the integrity of the original design. You can look at probably every single manufacturer back in the day, and see that the marketing illustrators took great liberty in making cars look longer, lower and wider.

Here's an example I ran in the September/October 2012 issue of the Jordan "Little Custom". Both are the exact same model, but the illustration looks more like a custom-bodied convertible victoria than the victoria sedan (or "sports salon") that it's supposed to be. Even the roof line in the rear is completely "fabricated."

As for the "silly hats" that men wore back then, I find them much better looking than the dopey-looking ball caps everyone wears today.

post-33613-143141793612_thumb.jpg

post-33613-143141793647_thumb.jpg

Edited by West Peterson (see edit history)

182278d1363011298t-1933-continental-coupe-save-if-you-1928jordana.jpg Question, why would you put a horse in an illustration like this?

Ummm, two reasons I can think of. The photo seems to portray that the Jordan is meant to be owned by the well to do. Secondly, the horse makes the car seem really low to the ground, portraying a really sporty driving experience???

Ummm, two reasons I can think of. The photo seems to portray that the Jordan is meant to be owned by the well to do. Secondly, the horse makes the car seem really low to the ground, portraying a really sporty driving experience???

I suspect that Bob was making the point that perhaps "a different angle" for the horse could've been considered?!

That (Bob's point) was one of the first things that struck me about it also!

I wonder if the "Flat Tires and Engine Misfires" folks might've already come up with a pithy comment for this one???

Since there are no Continental Roadsters extant, keep your eyes open for a Flyer Business Coupe. I wouldn't hesitate, for even a moment, to have this metal artist turn it into a convertible for me.

Which would be called a "coupster" in the traditional hotrod world :) ...even though that word comes from making a roadster out of a coupe.

It is a fair amount of work in the door window department, to get new door glass frames to fit against the w/s posts, yet still have enough room inside of the door for the new,wider windows and tracks. Then there is the top of each quarter near the door to reshape, as well as new door tops made..not to mention a top.

I'm trying to do the finish body work right now on this one; it was a 5w coupe that lost the roof a long time ago for some reason. Not worth restoring, not worth putting it back as a 5w hotrod, so I went coupster.

post-59419-143141793665_thumb.jpg

post-59419-143141793669_thumb.jpg

Which would be called a "coupster" in the traditional hotrod world :) ...even though that word comes from making a roadster out of a coupe.

It is a fair amount of work in the door window department, to get new door glass frames to fit against the w/s posts, yet still have enough room inside of the door for the new,wider windows and tracks. Then there is the top of each quarter near the door to reshape, as well as new door tops made..not to mention a top.

I'm trying to do the finish body work right now on this one; it was a 5w coupe that lost the roof a long time ago for some reason. Not worth restoring, not worth putting it back as a 5w hotrod, so I went coupster.

DIGRESSION:

*Split Bug* in F&J's garage?!

Woo hoo!!

Guest UniqueCollector

I look at it this way.

If it doesn't get bought right away to be restored then a street rodder will come buy and grab it to turn into what he wants.

I would rather restore such beauties but some times you don't have money for every car out there to save them.

Right now I have a 62 Cadi that I will put money into that is worth more then the car but it will be enjoyed every moment.

I put the money into it to enjoy not to turn it around and sell it.

182278d1363011298t-1933-continental-coupe-save-if-you-1928jordana.jpg Question, why would you put a horse's ass in an illustration like this?

Ned Jordan used to do things like that. One of his ads showed a Jordan car parked in front of a roadhouse on a moonlit night, with a red light burning above the door. Title of the ad, "The Port of Missing Men".

He said "when this hits the newsstands we'll either have 100% readership or end up in jail". Ha ha ha.