Car customizing in Japan is getting pretty weird....

Guest Lincoln54Capri

Guest Texas Old Car Guy

Tough to not only watch but listen to! Those rice-burners remind me of the sound of an early 60's 2-cycle motorcycle 50cc engine - winga-ding-ding, winga-ding-ding instead of a healthy Harley Davidson thumpa-thumpa-thumpa.

Fred

Pray tell, what are the long high yellow thingies sticking out the back of a lot of the cars? They took the concept of a front air dam to the extreme, didn't they!

Well it's either exhaust or a rain gauge. Maybe a coat rack? Might also be a place for them to store their crayola crayons in case the paint needs a touch up. Who knows.

Pray tell, what are the long high yellow thingies sticking out the back of a lot of the cars? They took the concept of a front air dam to the extreme, didn't they!

Those are exhaust pipes. I guess they never heard of an "English wheel" 'cause they sure don't know how to bend sheet metal.

Exactly.

I think that's the one thing that turned me against the new Camaro more than anything else- that it was used in that "Transformers" movie- not as a car, but as a toy come to life, and based on a Saturday morning cartoon show. Then figure in that the cartoon was nothing but a constant toy ad and you see where I'm going with this.

Car styling bizarreness is nothing new in Japan. Late 70s Nissans (B210, F10) were living proof of that. Those cars made GM's 1958-59 excesses look tasteful by comparison. Then look at a B210 hatchback and see if you don't see genesis of the Pontiac Aztek in those sail panel buttresses.

Exactly.

I think that's the one thing that turned me against the new Camaro more than anything else- that it was used in that "Transformers" movie- not as a car, but as a toy come to life, and based on a Saturday morning cartoon show. Then figure in that the cartoon was nothing but a constant toy ad and you see where I'm going with this.

Car styling bizarreness is nothing new in Japan. Late 70s Nissans (B210, F10) were living proof of that. Those cars made GM's 1958-59 excesses look tasteful by comparison. Then look at a B210 hatchback and see if you don't see genesis of the Pontiac Aztek in those sail panel buttresses.

My cousin had a brand-new Datsun B210 "Honey Bee" back in the day. I can only imagine how much teasing he got from his buddies...

post-34222-143141757776_thumb.jpg

Although I seem to recall his more as a hatchback also. Maybe Honey Bees were available in either body style???

post-34222-143141757785_thumb.jpg

post-34222-14314175779_thumb.jpg

Wow, and maybe a more modern interpretation of the (Studebaker) "Scotsman"??!!

post-34222-143141757798_thumb.jpg

Edited by stock_steve (see edit history)

Rolling sushi plates!

The shovel look is big in Japan.

Those long high yellow things sticking out of the back are overgrown chop sticks!

Believe it, or not - those Japanese kustoms are known as "Yankee Style".

Makes me wonder if they are making fun of us, or simply misunderstand American customization styles.

They look like cartoons to me...

I tried, but I'm simply couldn't finish the video. The noise made me want to grab a gigantic fly swatter. I'll add this comment, though to what end I'm not sure: I read recently that a whole stylistic fad amongst the Japanese is some form or concept of "cute". The article cited the huge wave of popularity that "Hello Kitty", as well as others fashions (but certainly not limited to clothing) were continuing to enjoy. I can't recall all that much of the piece, but it's implications were that it was all sort of at a cultural level. It appears to me that the concept of "cute" as we've seen it on this video here may also includes vast amounts of "silly".