Random Pictures of Really Cool Cars

alsancle

It is probably just me but there hasn't been a lot of interesting activity on the forum lately. I assume because of the time of year. Anyways, here is a thread to post random pictures of what you think are really cool cars. Most of mine I've posted in other places before so forgive me if you have seen them already. Here is one of my all time favorites. I do not believe any have survived. If you know what it is and not because you saw me post it somewhere else you are at the top of the hierarchy of cool car historians!

I will give you a hint and tell you that it has a crazy transmission in it.

post-31305-143139287667_thumb.jpg

post-31305-143139287656_thumb.jpg

post-31305-143139287663_thumb.jpg

The famous Round Door Rolls in the junkyard circa 1950. When it was in NY in the late 50s early 60s and painted gold my dad passed on buying it for 8500. That was a ton of money in those days considering he has paid 10k for his house not too many years early.

post-31305-143139287675_thumb.jpg

The famous Round Door Rolls in the junkyard circa 1950. When it was in NY in the late 50s early 60s and painted gold my dad passed on buying it for 8500. That was a ton of money in those days considering he has paid 10k for his house not too many years early.

A color photo of the gold paint job.

post-77797-14313928811_thumb.gif

At least it was saved by someone else. Here's how it looks now.

post-77797-143139287809_thumb.jpg

More about it here:loveisspeed.......: 1925 Rolls Royce Phantom I Jonckheere Aerodynamic Coupe ...

Edited by Bleach (see edit history)

The builder was French and total production was very small. M. Dimitri Sensaud de Lavaud was an eccentric genius Brazilian living in Paris who had designed an automatic transmission. They tried to use it in the first traction avants but the engine was too small for the transmission to work properly.

post-31305-143139288924_thumb.jpg

Amateurs de Vhicules d'Epoque et de Collection

A rough translation is as follows:

"............... In 1927-28, the? Establishments Sensaud Lavaud produce a car in France r? Revolutionary (for too? Era!) Which will pr? Feels ? e fairs in Paris, but few will be sold. Here are the characters? characteristics of these cars, which are poss? of photos of 2 mod? of:

? Ch? SSIS Alpax (alloy? Aluminum) casting? monop? this;

? 6 engine Alpax with wet shirts and T-valve? Of 5475 cm3 cools you by? Of boiling? Water heater serving as a condenser. This engine was produced by the foundry Crans (Is? Re);

- Automatic? variable speed continuous (d? j? essay? e on a car Neighbor);

-Diff? Tial? limited slip?;

? Suspension? independent front wheels? pending (system? me Lancia Lambda)? springs by rubber blocks;

? Direction? cr? maill? wheel and re r? adjustable height and depth;

? Color wheels Alpax?'re Incorporating drum brakes front and this Bugatti.

Note that the box pr? S? Lective Wilson appears t in 1928 and Cotal in 1934.

But this man s? Arr? You not? because in 1933 he con? ilo without a hydraulic automatic transmission? be a torque converter. This box will be tried? E on first? Re Citro? N Traction, the 7A, without the device? Picyclo? Dal? 2 speeds (which would have ensured? Success? S!) Assume that? S it? Of acts? Of sabotage? ? Andr? Lefevre who don? Not love Sensaud Lavaud. Think? NIH? (Not Invented Here? Not invented? Here), other discharge point.

Jean BOULAND

NDRL: A Museu Dimitri Sensaud Lavaud exists? Osasco,? Sao Paulo, Brazil Jersey.

1929 Pierce Arrow Model 125 Dual Cowl Phaeton that was shown recently on an episode of Chasing Classic Cars. Wayne heard about the car and went to check it out. It had been sitting in a little tiny garage for about 50 years. The doors on the garage had gone so long without being opened that tree limbs had to be trimmed to get it open, and even then the door was damaged to the point it couldn't be shut again.post-44221-143139288943_thumb.jpg

Walter P. Chrysler's '32 Close-Coupled CL Imperial stopped me dead in my tracks when I first saw it at the Henry Ford Museum in 1990. Something about its proportions, the skirted fenders and its "look" left me mesmerized.

Chrysler3Big.jpg

An article on the Imperial Club site from the WPC News (Sept, 1999) gives an idea of just how custom this Custom was.

32_Chrysler_Custom_Imperial_Series_CL_DV_05_CC_01.jpg

So you can imagine my surprize when this tie tack showed up on ebay a few years ago, offered by AAA (year undetermined) of the majestic sedan. It's my favorite car-related accessory, and the pic doesn't do it justice...

32_imperial_wpc_aaa.jpg

All the custom "family" cars built for the Chryslers deserve mention, BTW.

TG

Edited by TG57Roadmaster (see edit history)

1924 Hispano-Suiza Model H6C “Tulipwood” Torpedo commissioned by Andre Dubonnet who was an aviator and racecar driver. The Hispano-Suiza was built at a cost of over $15,000 and is constructed of tulipwood and thousands of brass rivets. The car is on display at the Blackhawk Museum, Danville, CA.

post-30688-143139289268_thumb.jpg

YES! I saw it in the HARRAH collection back in 1974, long and wide. There was a two page Heinz ad in Fortune magizine sometime around 1936 with the car in read, looks far less sinister. Bob

I've never seen the "flying wombat" in person. Is it as big as it seems?

If you note most of the cars in this post have sexy front fenders, so what is the fender on in the forground? Bob

1929 Pierce Arrow Model 125 Dual Cowl Phaeton that was shown recently on an episode of Chasing Classic Cars. Wayne heard about the car and went to check it out. It had been sitting in a little tiny garage for about 50 years. The doors on the garage had gone so long without being opened that tree limbs had to be trimmed to get it open, and even then the door was damaged to the point it couldn't be shut again.[ATTACH=CONFIG]166715[/ATTACH]