Coping with winter

Guest Lasse

This is a philosophical or maybe a mental health question for all you others out there who have to endure a very cold 6 month winter: How do you retain your sanity while your beautiful Buick lies in hibernation, not able to go like the wind?

Winter is not a stranger for me, been around for 36 years, but still. Got around to the garage today after a long brake, been so busy at work. I nearly bloody teared up by just the sight of my Princess, wanted to just back her out and put the pedal to the metal. No chance with 2 ft of snow.

4 1/2 months to go....

Reading, writing for car club newsletters...

Communicating with fellow old car enthusiasts via e-mail, internet forums such as this...

Doing some internet shopping for old car parts & goodies, and/or selling of same... In my case, I just scored some fairly unusual aftermarket cast aluminum wheels from the '70s, and have sent them out to another local enthusiast who's equipped to do some indoor cleaning and coating (since it's way too cold now for me to do any of that outdoors myself)...

Doing dreary, monotonous, time-consuming stuff that nice weather would be too tempting to cause one to postpone or skip... Two winters ago I laboriously scraped off all the undercoating underneath my '70 Bug and and also inside the wheelwells, using a heat gun and plastic scrapers, mostly while laying on my back on the floor of my garage. Thankfully I had a place where I could "set up and work" for extended periods of time on that project...

There are even a few indoor antique auto related flea markets in our area where one can go to get a bit of a monthly "old car fix" during the cold months, ref: http://home.comcast.net/~shorelinesteve/EnfieldPwdrMillBarnWinter2012-2013AntAutoFleaMktFlyer.jpg (and a tip of the hat to the dedicated folks who set up and run them, like the Model A Ford Club of Connecticut, who are responsible for this one)...

There are other "auto shows" where manufacturers show off their new models in large indoor venues during cold months--not "old car related," per se, but at least car-related...

Lastly, looking for those occasional dry & clear days when I can take my old car out without fearing the sand & salt of rustbelt New England where I live...

Edited by stock_steve (see edit history)

I try to get any issues with the cars taken care of in winter (or my Harley) so they are ready to drive all summer. I usually don't get time to work on my stuff very often so I take it when I can!

I can tell you that I lived in Venezuela for a year. I did not think I would miss the cold winter. I DID! Something not right (for me living in Colorado all my life) about 80 degrees and Christmas lights! I did freeze my jingle bells off arriving at the Denver airport (-10 that day) in a tank top, flip flops and shorts that Christmas! I did not have ANYTHING warm to wear as there was no need in Puerto Ordaz, Venezuela.

Well you could always move. For me, tomorrow is another Saturday that all us car guys will gather at another car guys bakery to show cars and talk story. All of the work that was mentioned in the above threads are reserved for the rest of the week.

Yup, I do have a hefty to-do list for the car also. And as stated, winter is the only time to get them done without losing any driving season. And I lurk around car sites, and I read whatever I can get my hold on about these machines.

And still, the ache is there. Damn that eternal call of the open road.

Guest Nancy DeWitt

With this!

post-58418-14313928678_thumb.jpg

Actually, it's been -30 F in Fairbanks all week, and we don't take museum vehicles out in that. We rotate cars through the shop for maintenance, work on our displays, host school groups and write articles for magazines and newsletters. And, we all try to take a vacation to Hawaii or Costa Rica in January to recharge our Vitamin D supply.

I live in South Carolina. It doesn't snow here. The other day, the outside temperature was 78 degrees (F).

I don't take the Crown Vic out if there is a chance of rain, but we've been in a drought for the last several years, so it really doesn't rain that much.

The problem with driving them year round is road salt is far from your friend and the preferred method of snow & ice control around here. 5 years down the road and you will be wondering what the scrap guy will give you.

I was fortunate enough to drive the 48 Plymouth yesterday and today as we had no snow or salt as it rained the other day and washed the roads clean.

It worked out perfect as I had my diesel apart at the shop installing new glow plugs and didn't finish the job before dark. I jumped in the Plymouth drove that home and finished the job today. Timing was perfect as it just started snowing an hour or so ago and I already saw one salt truck head out. The plymouth is neatly tucked away in the heated shop.

On a nice side note the radio started working today out of the blue so now I don't have to take that out to get it fixed.

I was able to sneak my car out yesterday as we had a break in the rain. Oregon doesn't use salt on their roads (well, they just started on two southern mountain passes but that's it) so I don't have the concerns others do about corrosion, but just to protect the car from a higher likelihood of an accident in inclement weather I will try to avoid winter driving this year. Last year I drove it all winter long, as an experiment to myself to learn what it's like to drive a 50-year old car as my sole vehicle for one year straight. I will be writing about that in the coming weeks.

Forgive my ignorance but do you have any chance of a nice day in Finland during winter that you could get your car out even once a month, just something to ease those pains a bit? I did spend a year back in the Midwest a few years back and keeping my other Benz in the garage for 3 full months about drove me crazy. Thankfully I was offered my mother's '09 Challenger for winter duty, which was gladly accepted. Finally, and I don't think this is what you were asking but I also find making the effort to spend time with friends in person over simple things like coffee, wine and games really helps maintain my sanity when it's gloomy out.

Guest Skyking

This is my first winter in retirement. I'm glad I have my heated garage to keep me sane. Right now I am restoring my '54 Met Convertible. I have the bodywork all done, primed and ready for paint and it's sitting while all the shrinking takes place. I figure while I'm waiting on that I'll pull the motor apart and find out why it's burning oil. While I've been driving the car for 2 years, every time I stopped at a light and take off, a puff of smoke would come out.

When I pulled the pistons I noticed someone replaced the originals with new 5 ring instead of the usual 4. But I also noticed on piston #1 someone stuck 2 compression rings in the last grove where an oil control ring belonged. Hmmm, that'll sure make it smoke. The other three pistons had the proper rings. Anyway, I ordered all new rings and replaced them. Hopefully I'll get the motor running on a stand next week. So, I've been keeping busy this winter. The rest of the cars are covered and sleeping.

Edited by Skyking (see edit history)

After recently moving from sunny Florida to the Smoky Mountains, I'm adapting to days below 50 degrees in the winter.

Our new car barn is not insulated or heated, but I'm trying an new technique. LOWE'S had a patio heater on sale at

Thanksgiving, only 40,000 BTU's but propane powered and portable. It'a a tall tower with a stainless steel hood that

reflects the heat downward. My hope is that it will take the chill off, and keep the temperature above 50 degrees so

I don't have to waste 4 months on indoor projects. A few hours in the barn on car stuff should go a long way to

shorten the winters.

During the winters here I'm normally working inside doing things that need to be done. I've got a kitchen redo that has been on the list of things to do for some time now. Besides the garage is not insulated, although I have a good size torpedo heater that has gotten the garage up to 70 but because the price of fuel (K-1) I only used it now only if it's really required. One other drawback is that as it's just me/myself/I there is a lot to do to maintain a house, a life and still make progress on any of the cars it can at times be a regular comedy show making it all work. What I chose to do this past summer was to do the minimum around the house and focus on the van which I stretched into the fall so there was a lot of catch up maintence to get ready for winter and now I'll pick up working inside this winter so I can hopefully finish the van off next spring/summer. That's my plan for coping with winter this year. Scott...

Guest Rob McDonald

MR. B, I never send Christmas cards but this year, you've inspired me. Your royalty cheque is in the mail.

After 40+ years of whiteknuckling the steering wheel, I'm finally driving my first winter car with all-wheel drive. Very, very nice. Does nothing at all for stopping but, boy, does it go.

post-59990-14313928756_thumb.jpg

Guest Skyking
Move to Florida,we drive em year round here!!!! Ed in Dade City,fl.

In 2005 I bought a place in Port Orange for that purpose, but the wife thought it was a better idea to rent it out............:mad:

What is this magical place you all refer to as "Florida"?!

Seriously, my wife's family also has some connections there (Vero Beach), and I've been down there during a few February breaks in years-passed, when the New England winter was "getting really old," and I have to say that I am a believer! Hope to be able to spend more time down there in the future.

I've even managed to check out a couple of the Indian River Region AACA's car shows on the island over by downtown (Riverside Park), which I greatly enjoyed.

And I think I've already mentioned in another thread enjoying a few trips to check out the great collection of antique autos (& lots of other cool stuff) at the Elliott Museum in Stuart.

Have also been researching the mileage from Vero to Zephyrhills--definitely want to check out one of those great-sounding events one of these years...

Edited by stock_steve
Mis-spelled "Stuart"--ugh (see edit history)

Guest Skyking
What is this magical place you all refer to as "Florida"?!

Steve, I lived there in Daytona from '94 to '97 and loved it. Not only the weather, but the cleanliness compared to Rhode Island and most of the Northeast. To me it was an easier way of life. The biggest problem living here in RI is the road conditions. They are without a doubt unacceptable. There is no money here ever to fix them or fix any of the deplorable infrastructure. All our money goes to state pensions. I moved back here because of my son & daughter who stayed here. 2 years ago my daughter and her family moved to Franklin Tn. another nice area. If I can ever talk my son into going anywhere south, I'd be out of here in a heart beat.

Guest Rob McDonald

Florida? Been there once - BCA meet in Orlanda in July. Hot rain, buckets of it, every hour. I'm pretty sure most Floridans wish they could afford a summer place up north.

Gimme four distinguishable seasons, anytime - Fall with an early frost and snow, Winter glorious winter, and Spring with ice and slush that hangs around 'til April. Oh, and a bit of summer, too, just so we appreciate winter.

Florida? Been there once - BCA meet in Orlanda in July. Hot rain, buckets of it, every hour. I'm pretty sure most Floridans wish they could afford a summer place up north.

Gimme four distinguishable seasons, anytime - Fall with an early frost and snow, Winter glorious winter, and Spring with ice and slush that hangs around 'til April. Oh, and a bit of summer, too, just so we appreciate winter.

Oh,...Yes,... I heard about the 4 Seasons y'all have up there. Winter, More winter, Still winter, and Construction season. ;) Dandy Dave!

Here in Minnesota, we got our first substantial snowfall yesterday. Ten and a half inches fell here in the twin cities and seven to as much as seventeen inches throughout much of the state. The morning commute was pretty slow for most folks, with drive times doubled and even tripled for many. You would think that we would all be incredibly depressed, but folks simply can't stop raving about how beautiful it all is. Minnesotans (and more than a few of them of Finnish ancestry, Lasse) are busy making plans of all sorts to get outside now and do the things we all love. Sure, nobody's going to be driving their vintage cars, but for the most part folks around here have as many winter interests as they do summer ones. Don't get me wrong about this though -- those who are born here, but can't take cold or don't love the winter, simply move away in time. Are we all insane? You may think so, but I'll share something interesting with you. In '78 Business Week or Forbes did a survey regarding where or where not executives were willing to be transferred to throughout the country. No one was surprised when the results indicated that executives were least willing to transfer to Minnesota, buy they were all completely floored to find out that executives living in Minnesota were by far the least willing to move. Lasse, you Scandinavians are known for insisting on high quality of life standards. Your car will be there in the Spring, get your skis, skates, snowmobile, ice auger and fishing line, snowshoes, four wheeler, winter hiking boots, etc out and enjoy the beauty of it all!

Edited by Hudsy Wudsy (see edit history)

I am about 45 miles north of the Twin Cities in Minnesota. Up here we got 14 inches of snow. I have said it before, and I'll say it again- It either needs to be sunny and 70, or cold with a foot of snow.

We don't have to put away all of our classics because we can get out our vintage snowmobiles.

I love living in MN. Once you get winter driving down it is like second nature. Not to mention that come spring time when the snow is gone (and the first good rain has washed off the road salt) Minnesota turns into a state wide classic car show. EVERYONE who has been staring at their car for the last five months waiting can celebrate for the time has come.

So I guess coping with winter for me makes it more of a treat when I can see all of those beautiful cars in the spring. After all, the best things in life are worth waiting for.

. Lasse, you Scandinavians are known for insisting on high quality of life standards. Your car will be there in the Spring, get your skis, skates, snowmobile, ice auger and fishing line, snowshoes, four wheeler, winter hiking boots, etc out and enjoy the beauty of it all!

You two Minnesotans are pretty much on the money. There are two ways of approaching this dilemma: First, admit defeat. The climate just is like this (for now anyway) and there´s nothing you can do about it. Learn to love it, telling your self how much you enjoy winter activities. This is easier for some than others, and in my case it´s a form of innocent self deception. Sometimes it works, other times (like when I opened this thread) it doesn´t!

The second way is the also stated fact that spring and summer, when they eventually come, feel SOOOO much better after 6 months of cold. And yes, I really do like it more now when it´s white outside, the eternal darkness of fall is so depressing.

Still, I sometimes wonder what the heck was that tribal chief thinking when he decided to take his people north back then in the stone age. Most of the others said "let´s head south" and settled on then cozy climate of nowadays Hungary. But nooo, this guy had to be different and head north. And here we still are.