1934 Dodge Full Body Off Restoration

Thanks Mike,

I'm paranoid about scratching the paint while putting things back on the car. I'm afraid I'm not much of a trophy collector but I enjoy it when people stop and have a look, I guess it shows you've rebuilt something special.

I often drive along and see an old car going in the opposite direction and think hopefully I'll be driving mine one day.

Anyhow back to refitting things and getting on with it. I must say having it painted has stirred me along.

Ian

Hi all,

Not much done this weekend, but this weekend was priceless for me. Ken and another friend Tony came over to have a look at the work I'm doing and they brought their 34's. It was like the 3 Amigos. I was able to take photos and ask questions about a number of things. Even though they are 34's the differences between mine and the Richards Body cars is very interesting. Ken even gave me a cap being part of the 34 Club ! My wife thinks I'll need surgery to remove it from my head.

post-44589-143139224574_thumb.jpg

post-44589-143139224576_thumb.jpg

post-44589-14313922458_thumb.jpg

post-44589-143139224582_thumb.jpg

post-44589-143139224584_thumb.jpg

Sorry Ian, that was to another poster" don't know how it wound up here....also if you know anyone looking I stumble onto a 1934 2 door on here, I talk to the owner and listed some pictures for him in the "buy and sell" forum, he's looking for $25,000... I listed his email also, nice 2 door, but I am still working on my 4 door for now,,,, any new pictures on your end? thanks

Steve in NH

no much progress here, your looks great, I see you chose the wide belt line instead of the pin stripes, that gives me an idea, only I may do the smaller top line as not to make it stand out as much,,mine has the pin stripes now, as original, but like I say I may change not sure at this stage,still looking to get North and pick up the set of vent window frames I found, good job!

Hi Ian . Just been looking at your posts .. Thanks for allowing both Tony and myself to visit and bring our 34`s along to meet the "work in progress"

Äs one that has seen the car, I can say with certainty that it is far better in the flesh than the photos show... and they are fantastic

Hey all,

With the body off the chassis I was able to get to a few other brackets that I had seen under the car and remove and tag those. Also removed the battery holder and springs. Found a sort of foam buffer around where the petrol filler tube goes into the tank. You can tell by the rusty chassis that there will probably be a bit of pitting in the frame. I'll send the chassis off the the powdercoater as well as the running board brackets and that should be a good base.

Cheers

Ian

post-44589-143139226289_thumb.jpg

post-44589-1431392263_thumb.jpg

post-44589-14313922631_thumb.jpg

post-44589-143139226321_thumb.jpg

post-44589-143139226331_thumb.jpg

post-44589-143139226341_thumb.jpg

Hi Ian

It is probably too late now but I would question the wisdom of using "powder coating" on the chassis frame.

That is not based on personal experience as I have never used it on the basis of the tendency for it to fill bolt holes and to allow the ingress of moisture once the skin is broken.

Perhaps I am being old fashioned.

"Keep on keeping on"

Bj

I tend to agree that powder coating is not a good option - particularly on a chassis. It looks all sweet and pretty but as Bj has indicated, break the skin and before you know it there is all sorts of rot eating things away. I had a Triumph chassis grit blasted and powder coated and about 2 years later had to pull the front clip for a crash repair, what I found was scarry. A small blister in the coating when chipped away revealed some major rust issues. Opinion was that a stone chip allowed moisture in and it went downhill from there.

2 pak all the way now!

Cheers

Steve

Hi Ian

It is probably too late now but I would question the wisdom of using "powder coating" on the chassis frame.

That is not based on personal experience as I have never used it on the basis of the tendency for it to fill bolt holes and to allow the ingress of moisture once the skin is broken.

Perhaps I am being old fashioned.

"Keep on keeping on"

Bj

Had my 1931 Dodge frame blasted and powder coated in 1978.....still looks great and no rust issues.

Hello,

When I had to make this decision I did have conflicting opinions about which way to go and I can see the merits of both. When I got the chassis done it was basically two times. i.e. the blaster went over it twice, the etch primer twice and the coater twice. So far I haven't had any issues ( like Keiser ) and no problems with bolt holes. It is good however to hear what other members say and experiences they have had along the way. Plesae keep posting as everyone learns along the way......especially me !

Ian

Back to work on the Dodge. Repaired, cleaned and fitted the timber support for the sunvisor panel above where the front windscreen will go. Also I fitted the front windscreen. Slotted straight in after I got my brother to help hold it up. Next job is to tackle the fender welt.

Cheers

Ian

post-44589-143139234251_thumb.jpg

post-44589-143139234253_thumb.jpg

post-44589-143139234256_thumb.jpg

Hey all,

With the chassis off to the blasters I made a starthaving a good look at the body. The back ( where the luggage rack is or should I say was ) is all bashed in from reversing into anything and everything. The doors look in pretty good shape and as far as rust goes, rear wheel arches, bottom of front cowl and front inside where the timber floors go. So not too bad in that department. I took a few shots inside the car to get an idea of what it looked like and proceeded to rip out the old lining completely. Pulled out the windscreen hinges and rear seat hinges. Found the rear window winder but the other side is ceased up and I may have to rebuild it. Got some good shots of the rear bump stops for the doors too.

Cheers

Ian

post-44589-143139238046_thumb.jpg

post-44589-143139238061_thumb.jpg

post-44589-143139238071_thumb.jpg

post-44589-143139238081_thumb.jpg

post-44589-143139238092_thumb.jpg

post-44589-143139238103_thumb.jpg

post-44589-143139238363_thumb.jpg

post-44589-143139238374_thumb.jpg