Need info for auto shipping

Mickey McChesney

1. Whatever you do, don't take the lowest price.

2. Get references on shippers from people on this site.

3. Make sure you are dealing with the shipper and not a broker.

4. Read the assorted forum threads on this topic.

I had a car shipped from Connecticut to California. Based on recommendations from others on this site, I picked a company that was more than I wanted to pay. However, I talked to the person who would drive the enclosed transport. End result - car delivered a little later than expected (1-2 days) but was in perfect shape. No problems whatsoever.

Unfortunately, the company is no longer in business.

I used Passport Transport when my original shipper I contracted with failed to get the job done after 3 months. Enclosed Door to door , non running 36 Cord Phaeton. I was very pleased with the price 3100 and that was with a surcharge that I knew about for Immediate pickup. I called them on a Monday. They picked it up the following Sunday and I had it 1 week later. Less than 2 weeks from the time I called to the time it was in my Garage. That's southern California to Northern NY. I will call them first next time!!!!

Can anyone recommend a good shipper, that you have experience with. Looking to move a car in the near future. Prefer enclosed.

Thanks,

Mickey

Mickey

Your transport budget is where to start

That, combined with timeframe will determine your available selection

Few people want to wait for a car to be shipped

Few people want to pay unloaded mileage to a pick up point and from a drop off point

Actual transport cost is determined by:

Current cost of #2 diesel fuel

Where the vehicle is picked up at

Where the vehicle is dropped off at

Condition of the vehicle

How long you can wait

Method of transport

Currently, #2 diesel is $4.11 per gallon on average nationwide

@ Daily Fuel Gauge Report--national, state and local average prices for gasoline, diesel and E-85.

Specific areas of the lower 48 states have a higher demand of vehicles to be

hauled out than to be hauled in - this creates unloaded miles

These areas include:

California - Oregon - Washington

Colorado - Utah - Montana

North Dakota - South Dakota

Minnesota - Wisconsin

Florida - Alabama - Georgia

Generally, the areas where you find the most value for your dollar

when buying a vehicle is where the market for local car sales is not healthy

The same folks who do not buy locally also tend not to bring cars

into those areas because they simply cannot afford to buy them

Generally, you will pay more to transport an inoperative vehicle

or ' roller ' than you will to haul a operable vehicle or ' runner '

That is because most auto transport is bundled, most vehicles are

hauled on multi car carriers that require one or more transfers

between pick up and drop off

If a vehicle does not run - more time and work required to transfer

How long the Seller is willing to hold onto a vehicle and

how long you are willing to wait for a car to be hauled

is another consideration

When you get to this point, the method of transport is the last decision

Open or enclosed trailer ?

Direct ' door to door ' or transfer ?

Open trailers save you money, but depending on weather and road conditions

and transfer between trailers - damage can occur

Direct hauling with no transfer will generally cost more but

combined with a fully enclosed hard trailer that should eliminate damage

All the companies noted above can serve your needs

Only you can decide if they meet your budget

Jim

Be sure to ask if they will have access to GPS info for the rig and driver, technically they pretty much all do but some won't share the info. If you have the ability to call and check location at the end of each day or see it online then it goes a long ways towards alleviating some stress about the journey, especially for "non-guaranteed" delivery dates.

Just a heads up.

My brother lives in Iowa 2 miles south of I-80 but 5 miles out on gravel roads.

The enclosed semi would not drive on gravel and required a roll-back pick up the car and deliver it to the shipper on a paved parking lot.

The buyer didn't know of the shipper's rule and had to pay extra for the roll-back.

Also, the vehicle was a roller. It was shipped to Miami without damage or loss.

Best of everything on the transport.

• 11 months later...
Guest Peliosty

I only dealt with shipping my cars to Europe (France) now I need to have my car shipped to Florida. I've read some info about car shipping cost but I still have some questions. Many people, and here as well, say not to take the lowest price, but how can I understand if the price is too low

Edited by Peliosty (see edit history)

Deal directly with the company that owns the trucks, NOT a broker. A broker will give you a low ball price then when he can't find anyone to haul your car for that price he will raise the price. Happened to a customer of ours recently. The broker raised the price 3 times over a 2 month period while the car sat. Finally the customer took our advice and shipped with a reputable company, in this case Intercity Lines.

Guest shovelhead

Dealing directly with a company who owns there own trucks isnt easy. Truck companies dont run every route so you could be calling for days to find one. When you search for an auto transport company just dont go with the ones that say get 6-10 quotes. These are lead providers and this where the problems come in. The companies fight over your business and this is when the low ball prices and scamming come in. Call a company that you get one quote hassle free.

Dealing directly with a company who owns there own trucks isnt easy. Truck companies dont run every route so you could be calling for days to find one. When you search for an auto transport company just dont go with the ones that say get 6-10 quotes. These are lead providers and this where the problems come in. The companies fight over your business and this is when the low ball prices and scamming come in. Call a company that you get one quote hassle free.

It's real easy to deal with the company directly. I recommend Passport from personal experience but I have heard others perform as well. Just find their number and call them directly. Passport has I believe 22 trucks running the whole country all the time according to the driver that delivered my vette. One car was in Riverside CA that I had transported and the other was outside of Seattle WA. They brought both to Upstate NY. If you are on the US road system they will more than likely haul it. I'm sure they didn't have another car to pick up near mine in Washington as I watched the tracking online daily of the truck that picked up my car and it went a whole state with no other pickups to get to my car. Sometimes it takes a couple of weeks to get the car once it's loaded as they crisscross across the country to fill and deliver their load. Give them a call and see what they can do for you. Both hauls were coast to coast and were right around 2500 enclosed.

Guest 52Ford

I highly recommend Thomas Sunday Transport. They recently transported my brother's 1978 Firebird Formula (completely original in outstanding condition with 26K miles) from Kentucky to California in an enclosed trailer for $1835. They picked up the car 9 days after he hired them which is almost unheard of and he had it 6 days later. They own their own trucks so there are no brokers with which to deal. The driver was very professional and knew what he was doing. Click on the link below to watch a short video of the driver loading the car. Good luck....

I always recommend that my customers use one of the tried and true big companies such as Intercity, Passport, Horseless Carriage, Reliable, etc. I would never recommend using a broker. If you use an independent, make sure you request a copy of his insurance papers and verify them to be real by calling the insurance company.

The bigger transporters (as mentioned above) all do a nice job. I last used Intercity. The driver and his wife did a great job. They own the cab, and use Intercity's specially-equipped trailer. They told me they are only home about 2 weeks a year. I'm not sure how the other lines work, but the "owner/driver" element adds extra pride to the job, I think. My advice, however, is to get quotes from several firms. I found several hundred dollars difference. I think it depends on locations and where the trucks are; ie, "logistics".

Phil

• 2 years later...
Guest Williampeet

Two modes of transportations are following in many of the auto transport companies. Open and enclosed types of transportation. Open transporting service provides less cost then the enclosed type of transportation service. Door to Door service cost higher than the Terminal to Terminal. My friend had the shipping with an auto transport company in florida, they made the shipping without any damages. He chosen door to door service and enclosed type of transportation since he was in the situation to transport the luxurious costly car.

Guest Williampeet

Many auto transport companies in U.S. are brokers who have the industrial chain. But we have to check their license from FMSCA, Department of Transportation and BBB authorization to transport. They provide the carrier from other company or individual with truck driver.

Guest Dick Whittington

I have used Passport, Horseless Carriage, Thomas Sunday, Reliable and several more over the last 50 years. Pickup and delivery schedule was the driver for using various companies.  Never had a bad experience with any of them.  The last couple that I have had transported I used Rick Powell, racinman43@yahoo.com to transport them.  He is very reasonable and competent