Finally bought a vintage-car: 1956 Ford Fairlane Town Sedan

Bleach

I originally posted this in the 54 and newer Ford section but it didn't seem to get much notice so I posted this here.

Last week after many months of what seemed like like years, I found a really nice car not too far from me. I cam across this 1956 Ford Fairlane Town Sedan that is mostly original except a repaint and rechromed bumpers and few other small details and most importantly, no rust. It only has just over 30K miles and the mileage is verifiable by the paperwork that I got with it. The interior is all original and in fantastic condition. It runs and drives great. It truly only feels like a three year old used car if that. Everything works (including the radio) except the fuel gauge and the clock but I feel these could be fixed with minimal effort. I'll get my own photos posted as I go.

I'm really excited that I found this car!

post-77797-143139128567_thumb.jpg

post-77797-143139128572_thumb.jpg

Welcome back! Hard to go wrong with a '50s Ford. Great road manners, perfect '50s styling and colors, and a nice dose of practicality. Excellent find, may you enjoy many happy years with it. There's just nothing like a solid, original car.

Thanks all for the kind words. I've picked up an original shop manual to sort out its minor issues. I've driven it a little more and drives really nice. I need to get used to the lack of power brakes for one thing. It takes a bit of effort to get it to stop. I may look into a power brakes kit for it. There are a couple of vendors that seem to have an original reproduction of the system. I'd also like to add A/C but I haven't found anything I really liked yet. The same goes for seat belts. The ones I've seen out there are just generic types.

I've always considered myself a GM guy but I've always admired the Fords of the 50's. To me they looked better than Chevies plus they had V8's before Chevy did.

My car has the T-bird 292 with the 4V t-pot carb and a Ford-o-matic 3 speed transmission. The engine sounds great and my favorite thing is the distinct sound the starter makes when starting.

My wife's grandfather had one of these and he worked for Ford when this car was made. He worked on the trim line and there's a very good chance he may put the trim on this very car.

Bleach

The 55-56 Fords are as nicely styled as the Chevys. As you noted you have V8 power and an automatic. Keep the photos coming. I don't think I have seen a front to back full profile.

Guest Rob McDonald

BLEACH, I've always loved '56 Fords, too. The Country Sedan and Park Lane station wagons are my favourites but your Town Sedan is great too. Ford had a real knack for two-tone colour combinations that year.

I get a kick out of the squiggle design of that upholstery - the Arborite countertops and vinyl-covered kitchen chairs of my parents' 1955-built ranch house had the same pattern!

Finding the right color combination was the hardest part. I had always wanted one like this and I was very excited when this one came up when it did. My wife commented that the interior pattern had a bit of a feminine appeal to it. I kind of agree with that and plus it made it easy for her to approve my purchasing the car.;)

The first owner of the car was a lady in Nampa Idaho. It was then purchased by an older couple in the late 90's who did some cosmetics to the car. The car then sat in storage for nearly 12 years after the husband passed away in 2000 and I bought it from the widow who decided to finally let it go. It was gone through thoroughly by a mechanic before the widow put it up for sale. The mechanic when over everything with me about what had been done and even put it up on a lift for me to thoroughly inspect the car. I feel very confident about my purchase and it will certainly give me many years of enjoyment. I have a feeling that this car will even outlast me.