1955 Hood insulator

Paul Falabella

Paul: These are the pads that go into the ends of the spring-steel bars:

Old Buick Parts - CARS. Inc.

So far I haven't found another source for these. By the way, if you know of anyone selling the front spring-steel bar, I need one.

I have a couple of steel bars (used). If you're a BCA member PM me your address and I'll send you one, you pay the postage. If not then it'll be $50, paid directly to BCA. ;) Membership has it's priveleges. :D

• 3 weeks later...

Oh-- so that's what those are called! Sombrero's. I just remember Mr.Earl saying something about "rare as hens teeth" so whenever I stumbled upon them out parting cars I would pick them up. Here's a photo of the ones for 1956 Buicks. Those repro's from Bob's don't look right to me (are they diff in '55 ?) but do look functional.

post-31677-143139152161_thumb.jpg

Thanks for bringing this thread back up, I owe a couple of folks replies re the rods so will take the opportunity to do that here. I had about 20 rods of various lengths so had to find out what the correct lengh was. Called Mikey, he put his shoes on, walked out to his garage and if memory serve me correctly reported they are 42". I had 2 of them but one is rusted too bad to use. Joe I will be sending yours soon.

Budd, the one you have a picture of is indeed a '56 type. The 54-55's are made out of what looks like a mixture of tan paper mache and plastic and are rarely found in decent enough shape to use. They can be wet down and made flexible and straghtend out somewhat. CARS repros don't do them justice IMO. I don't have a picture of an original one on file but here is something close.

Edit) see next post. Thanks Mike

Edited by MrEarl (see edit history)

Thanks Mr. Earl. Looking forward to getting it. If memory serves me correctly, the front insulation support bar, the one I am missing, is 36" long. And while the CARS repro pads don't do the originals justice, so far they are the only game in town where I have found to get them.

Edited by packick (see edit history)

Thanks Mr. Earl. Looking forward to getting it. If memory serves me correctly, the front insulation support bar, the one I am missing, is 36" long. And while the CARS repro pads don't do the originals justice, so far they are the only game in town where I have found to get them.
Any pictures of the complete rod and install?What guage steel? There are 2 brackets at the rear of my hood.

I'll send you a 36" long one Joe. Paul if you don't have either I can send you the best I have for the front and rear as a pattern for your use in making some if you'e like. Can someone furnish the lengths so I'll be sure to get it right. They appear to be different between 54,55 and 56.

And I'd like to retract my statement about CARS repros, they are fine, I'm just AR about factory original. Sorry.

Edited by MrEarl (see edit history)

• 7 months later...
Guest btate

How do the Sombreros attach to the hood?? My insulation has fell three times now using 3M 77 super adhesive and that is really spraying it on both the insulation and metal hood.

How do the Sombreros attach to the hood?? My insulation has fell three times now using 3M 77 super adhesive and that is really spraying it on both the insulation and metal hood.

There are rods front and back that hold the cups against the mat.

Btate:

As I mentioned, I had the hood off of my car when I put the insulation on. So maybe lying it horizontal helped the sealant adhere better. Also, after using a rolling pin to make sure the sealant was pressed down in all spots, I set some weights on it overnight to keep compression on it. But when the hood is on the car and sitting at a 45-degree angle, there must be some other secret technique that one can use.

As far as the sombreros go, it’s the spring-tensioned rod ends that hold the sombreros against the insulation.

Edited by packick (see edit history)

Guest btate

Mike, I read where you said black side out, are you sure? Maybe that is why mine continues to fall. Seems black side looks better

Guest btate

thanks Mike, i miss said my last post. I meant to say black side adhered to the metal and I see where you said fuzzy side out. Ok i will re-glue the black side down

Guest btate

What happened to my English ? How could I spelled "miss spelled " should have spelled "mis-spelled" ---things happen!!!

Imagine my surprise to fill out a a form on a US government website to find my street address of 98 East Avenue did not exist! It took a few tries to figure out they only spell it Ave.

I can see abbreviating a simple street or road, but this is an Avenue. Where this spelling dielema end?

Bernie