Restoration Assembly Procedure... How to ??

BearsFan315

As you all know I am in the process of restoring a 1930 Chevrolet Universal AD - Canopy Express [1930 Chevrolet Universal AD - Canopy Express Truck Project], when I acquired the Truck I got it in Pieces and Parts, mostly dissasembled. I have been doing research, reading on forums, etc. Have several books on hand and now getting underway on restoring. I have decided on doing a Driver Restoration, not planning on competing in any shows or trying to win any awards or accolades, just want to build a period close vehicle to enjoy and drive on occassion. Here is what I know, the engine has been rebuilt as well as the transmission. Most all of the Structural wood has been redone, a lot of the metal work has been done.

My question is what is the best, easiest procedure of assembly from this point for doing a restoration ?? Considering I will be starting from a completetly dissamble vehicle. (As of Yesterday anyays)

My first step was to Take Inventory of What I have, I laid out everything, and made a list of what I had on hand.

Now I am trying to Develop a Plan of Action:

How to attack this project and what to do when and the order.

I am thinking that while it is completely apart, to clean up the frame, as it is in really great shape, a little surface rust here and there. Clean it up, throw on a fresh coat of paint, and then pull the wheels and check the bearings, brakes, suspension, and other components contained there in. Get a fully functioning rolling chassis.

Then not sure after that, do I assemble & install, and set up the drivetrain, or start putting on the body back half, cab, up to the cowl. Then do the drive train, wiring, dash (gauges). Just trying to figure out the most logical and easierst method to do this from where I am now, with out having to take it back apart because i forgot something ( which is inevitable ), or take something off to put something in that should have been done first.

Let me know how you guys have approached and attacked, this, or lessons you have learned from doing a restoration.

I originally thought that the engine and transmission were the first things that should be restored on a car/truck. Since I have experienced "life-interrupting" events (divorce, cancer, moving, etc.), I now think that those should be done nearer to the finish or at least later. That way, your newly rebuilt engine and trans will not languish in the shop and have a chance to get damaged by rust while sitting. Mark, bag and save EVERYTHING at least until you are done with the restoration. That way, you will always have a pattern and some idea of what to fix and how to fix. Take ZILLIONS of photos because you can NEVER have enough photos of what the vehicle looked like prior to dismantling.

Guest billybird

I do it like the factory did. Frame and all frame components {suspensions,ets} Then engine and transmission. I like to do body work and paint with the body off the frame then put the body on the frame. Interior last. If you do it like they did at the factory there will be less in your way and the frame up assembly will go easier and smoother.Also, plan ahead. Like having the engine rebuilt while you assemble the frame/components. Planning ahead will keep the restoration moving and reduces the possibility of the restoration getting bogged down. This method has worked well for me but I'm sure everyone has their own.

You are doing the right thing in planning out your restoration campaign, all part of being organized and having things go smoothly.

There are 2 different ways to look at it. One is to do the way the factory did, which is to build the chassis complete, build the body, then mount the finished body on the chassis. You can work on the 2 separately as sub assemblies. In fact you can break the whole vehicle down into sub assemblies, chassis, power train, electrical system, body, etc then sub sub assemblies, as,( engine, trans, dirveshaft, rear axle) as sub assemblies of power train, which is a sub assembly of the chassis.

Another way to organize is more useful if you are not doing a full strip down and rebuild. In that case the rule is to do mechanical repairs first, then paint job, upholstery last. This saves you from the mechanic scratching the fresh paint while trying to repair the engine, or the painter getting overspray on the interior when painting the door jamb etc.

Last thing you should buy is tires. They have a limited life and lose strength over the years even if just sitting. Also can get stained by grease, oil, paint overspray, and generally get shop worn, cracked and tired looking over the course of a multi year restoration. Better to use any old tires until the project is all done.

First off it will go together and come apart several times. I'd put the engine and transmission rebuid at the very end, why tie up money on that lump when you could put the money into body work and have somethuing nice to look at? Chean up the chassis, get all the fender brackets clean and straight, get the fenders back in shape ON THE CHASSIS not off were there is no way of telling what is in or out of shape. Once the body looks good paint it and go back to the mechanical stuff. Bob

Assemble the entire thing first. Then make a list of missing and damaged parts. We do the entire thing all at once, if you get tired or tied up in one area you can do another, it's lots of work. Ten times more than you think. Just plan on three time longer and four times as much money than you thought, and you will be on time and budget. GOOD LUCK! Ed

Bearsfan,

Perhaps I have misunderstood your original question. Others have talked about having the engine done near the end. I thought you had mentioned it had been rebuilt. I sense this may have been done before your purchase, so depending on how long it was done, there could be problems. It also seems that you may have bought this in pieces, or did you do the diasssembly? If the former, I hope youhave roon to lay out near the rebulding area, almost all the parts to make sure everything is in order and all there. As someone said, you may need to partialy assemble some parts to make sure you have everything and it is in good condition to assemble. Then again take it apart and make the final paint. There was even a software program you can buy to help quide you, but I have not sen it advertised for some time.

If you did the disassembly, you should just referse the order, for the most part. Good Luck.

John

Wow, it seems that everyone has their own way of doing this... But that is good, gives me options !!

YES, I got the truck in pieces, but I did a complete mock up of the body, check in my photos and you will see the body was pretty much completely assembled on the frame. Everything seems to fit nicely, sure there will be some work involved :) That is what makes this even more fun it NOT knowing what went where, and not having any reference on HOW to put this thing together...

Also the engine was rebuild as well as the tranny.

Most all of the body work & repair has been done, just needs some touch up, sanding and then final painting.

I spent this past weekend tearing down my mock up and yes I have plenty of pictures and sketches of what goes where, which hardware to use where, etc...

I plan on spending the next month or so cleaning up (sanding, scrubbing, prepping) the frame for primer and paint. then I will get onto the suspension and brakes. Would like to beg a complete solid rolling chassis first. (Frame, Suspens, and Brakes) anything else I should do while on this Chassis/ Frame Mode ?!? I try to stay one step ahead, so that I am ordering parts, pieces, etc for the next phase while I am working on the current phase.

There are almost as many ways ways to do this procedure as there are people. You have a leg up in that you are seeking what others have done. The down side is that it was disassembled by somebody else. How long ago was it disassembled? This often is directly tied to how many small pieces are missing. Did they bag/tag the parts? Are you familiar with this particular vehicle? It is frustrating to assemble some part only to find out that some small part behind it is missing and you have to back up to get that piece installed.

Typically I install the completely assembled drive train 1st to get it out of the way (if you have limited room) and to allow me to make all the connections as I go. Once that is done I move on to linkages, wiring, brake lines and such. All this depends on the vehicle as it may not always make sense to do it in this order. I get all the "inside" stuff (wiring, plumbing, mechanicals etc) done 1st then do all the exterior assembly last. Doors are off until the very last to allow better access and protect them from damage. Last is the interior.

Here are some shots of a car I'm doing now so you can see the progress.... (BTW, that is walnut shell dust in the bottom, NOT rust!)

post-31565-143139114231_thumb.jpg

post-31565-143139114177_thumb.jpg

post-31565-143139114207_thumb.jpg

Yes that is one of my major rawbacks, someone ELSE took it apart... As to when, it is my understanding it was about 10-15 Years ago, yeah that is a LONG TIME !! then it has been in a resto shop as they were tryingto put it back together for this gentleman. Slowly and steadily, hence why a lot of the work has been done. All of the structural wood has been replaced if needed, so it is solid. All of my understanding and knowledge of these vehicles come from my reading, research,a nd those of you here providing assistance. I also cruise the classifieds, ebay, and local car shows and collect all the pictures and info i can to assist me in gettingthis thing back together. Seems that there are not that many 1930 Chevrolet Canopy Express Trucks around, good thing is the frame/ Chasiss & components are pretty standard across the 1930 line with only a few differences. So that makes that part easier.

Slow and Steady I go...

And it seems that starting with the Chassis & Frame (Along with Brakes & Suspension) is the best place to start from what everyone is saying.

Just like building a house. Start with a good solid foundation ( the frame ). Next add all the structural stuff that makes it a house ( the drive train ). Finally do all the cosmetics ( the body )........Bob

old car fan... i wasthinking along the line of a milk crate seat, more nostalgic that way :) And maybe a piece of rope for a seat belt ;p

All kidding aside I was thinking the same thing, make sureit runs and runs good, before putting on the body then have to take it back off to access something !!

But in doing this what instrumentation/ gauges would i need to have connected ?!? or should i just bolt on the cowl with dash and go that route ?!? also would need a way to secure the steering wheel colum/ mast ??

• 2 weeks later...

Well...

Been on vacation with the family, and will be home in a few days, once i return, (unpack, settle in, and get caught up on the home front) I will be back to work on the 1930. Plan is to cleam up and get a fresh coat of paint on the Chassis.

In doing the chassis should I do the chassis then go back and take care of the brake components. I plan on painting the steel wheels eventually, but figure I would do that near the end of the restoration.

Anything else I should consider or look at while in this phase ?!?

• 5 months later...

Ok, Spent the saturday working on the frame. Stripping it down and putting a coat of Primer on. About 1/5 Done. Taking my time and trying to do it right. First time I have ever attempted anything like this, so ... Also I am doing this with an angle grinder and wire brushes, as well as by hand in the hard to reach spots. Yes I am wearing PPE, Safety Goggles, Face Shield, Respirator and long sleeves & pants. Wires & paint flying everywhere !!

Here are some Pictures from Saturday:

Huckster: Frame Prime 01

Tomorrow hoping to get another section done.

Ok, was able to get back out and do some more work sunday on the frame getting another section done. Had to get more primer, and ended up destroying both Wire Brushes I had on hand, so back to the store for some more if i plan on getting naythign done tomorrow !!

Here are some Pictures from Sunday:

Huckster: Frame Prime 02

Tomorrow hoping to get another section done, Since I will be home hanging out with the kids :-)

Well another great day to grind, brush and prime !! spent another few hours outside on the frame, got another section done. This section was tedious, hand to hand work a lot of the areas. Also looks like that will be it for working on the frame for a few days, weather is back in the freezing zone. last 3 Days were sunny and in the 50's +, not suppose to get above freezing. Also have to get back to work tomorrow... Got to work to support my habit :P

Here are some Pictures from Monday:

Huckster: Frame Prime 03

About 3/5 Done with the Frame itself... then >?< guess springs, cross memeber, axles, then onto the steering rods, or who knows...

Bearsfan;

I am far from an expert, but let me say this, I never envisioned the level I was going to show my car at when I started on the first one. When I took the body for painting, i told the guy not to get too worried, I was never going to show it, just drive it around. Fortunately, he was thinking deeper than I was and did an outstanding job. I have since shown in local and National shows and been very successful with it. What I am saying is to do the best job that you can do and you will never regret doing it. Once the job is done, you will constantly be saying to yourself "I could have done a better job here" if you don't do your best!!!

• 2 months later...

Love a Three day weekend :) on top of that Monday was a beautiful afternoon, once the rain stopped and the sun came out, Temps hit the 70's !! So I rolled out the 30 and spent another few hours outside on the frame. Actually finished up the Frame section and got it all Primed !!

Here are some Pictures from Monday:

Huckster: Frame Prime 04

Today suppose to be back cool again, plus back to work for me...