newly discovered salvage yard

Guest Mdarklighter

Guest Mdarklighter

Hey there folks.

My name is Eric. I found a Buick Estate Wagon (woody) in the salvage yard I am working in.....

I am helping a friend market a bunch of cars that have been in his family junk yard for decades. He is helping me with a place to live after I got downsized, and started school, and I help him in the yard as well as trying to get word out to the right people that we have some pretty rare old cars.

First, they are rotten, rusted uncared for and you really have to be good at metal working to fix most of them. They have rotted floors and doors, many have been missing glass for years. But they are old, have loads of original parts, trim, chrome, seats, dashes and engines.

What I found today was a Buick Estate Wagon (woody edition) YES, its a woody buick, not sure the year yet, or if it is a Roadmaster or not. I was told by a collector it is a Roadmaster version. I have to research it more and look closer at the car.

There are a lot of Buicks, I have at least 5 Straight Eights in the woods. One flathead Eight, the rest are Overhead Valves. One is a Special Eight coupe in really rough shape. Most are sedans and there is one Buick Century wagon. Loads of other cars too. But I was fairly excited to find out there was an estate wagon. It's in TERRIBLE shape, no lies here. The wood is rotted away and the floors are nearly gone, A tree fell across the hood and smashed it in, BUT, the engine is there, the doors are all there, the seats are there and most of the dash is present as well as the V8 engine, though it has been stripped of its heads.

There are lots of other cars, Henry J's, Chevy sedans and coups, lots of Corvairs, Chryslers, Dodges, Several Cadillacs. All from the late 40s to the late 50s. Some 70s cars, but most of them are not holding up as well.

I am looking for interested parties. What are you looking for, what project car are you trying to find parts for? Chat at me, tell me what you need, I am working on photos and some kind of web page to show what is there. But for now I am just contacting clubs looking for interest.

Let me know, or kick me off the sight, or come visit us. We are in Georgia just north of Columbus.

Look forward to talking, hopefully helping find new homes for parts and cars.

We are very rapidly scrapping these cars, so if you are interested, please let me know fast, we try to strip the cars of parts, but the bodies are being crushed for scrap.

Thanks for the forum

Eric

Pictures of the Buicks, Please!!!!!

In all seriousness, straight 8's were used in Buick's from '31-'53 so there are a lot of years they could be so pictures would help us Buick guys know what you have. By the way Buick straight 8's were all OHV so the flathead must be out of something else.

looking forward to hearing more and hopefully seeing more of what you got.

We like pictures :)

You can add pictures in the AACA gallery

To add images on the bottom of the screen

1) Click on 'Go Advanced'

2) On the top row of your reply box you will see a paper clip. Click on it or on “attach files manage attachments" down the screen-.

3) The 'Manage Attachments' window will appear.

4) Click on the 'Browse' button for that window.

5) A browse dialog will appear. Browse to the location of the file on your computer.

6) Click on the file

7) From the 'Manage Attachments' window click on 'Upload'.

8) Close the 'Manage Attachments' window.

9) Submit your reply when the message text is complete

Be sure to check on the upload screen they are attached by scrolling down

Have also read there is a limit of 2000 pixels when posted as an attachment You can also add images to a gallery. Check your User CP (Control Panel)

For graphics software to resize images (and much more) try IrfanView - Homepage - one of the most popular viewers worldwide. Free to download with many features. Easy to use.

Edited by 1939_buick (see edit history)

Guest Mdarklighter

Sorry about the lack of dates, and photos. I am working on it. Got plans to snap some more pix this weekend. Buick is the latest group of cars I am looking at. I will get some pix, the years are mostly 50s era. I won't bother to mention them since I know too little to get it right. I will post the pix and ask the owner to tell me the years. Thanks for the interest and education

You stated the Estate wagon has a V8 but Mr DePouli says the 53 was still a straight 8. Being as 53 was the last wood wagon something isn't quite right.

Only the Special came with the inline 8. The Estate Wagon was part of the Roadmaster series and they came with V8's.

You stated the Estate wagon has a V8 but Mr DePouli says the 53 was still a straight 8. Being as 53 was the last wood wagon something isn't quite right.

Dave,

Bleach is right. I was staying fairly unspecific in my range, but in '53 Buick had the straight 8 only in the Special models, v8's in the bigger series.Sorry if I caused confusion.

The kid also stated he wasn't sure about the year of this car as well as the others. Give him a break. Once he posts photos, maybe the experts will help ID them so everyone knows exactly what they are.

We like pictures :D

You can add pictures in the AACA gallery

To add images on the bottom of the screen

1) Click on 'Go Advanced'

2) On the top row of your reply box you will see a paper clip. Click on it or on “attach files manage attachments" down the screen-.

3) The 'Manage Attachments' window will appear.

4) Click on the 'Browse' button for that window.

5) A browse dialog will appear. Browse to the location of the file on your computer.

6) Click on the file

7) From the 'Manage Attachments' window click on 'Upload'.

8) Close the 'Manage Attachments' window.

9) Submit your reply when the message text is complete

Be sure to check on the upload screen they are attached by scrolling down

Have also read there is a limit of 2000 pixels when posted as an attachment You can also add images to a gallery. Check your User CP (Control Panel)

For graphics software to resize images (and much more) try IrfanView - Homepage - one of the most popular viewers worldwide. Free to download with many features. Easy to use.

Great info Thanks roysboystoys

Brian and Paul, I didn't have any intention of making any one look bad here. The '54 Buicks sparked my attention recently and I had done some research on other Buicks of that era. That info was still fresh in my mind so when I read that the wagon in question had a V8, I was trying to recall which model had the straight 8 for my own assurance.

I'm not trying to make it look like I might know more than a BCA member.

Brian and Paul, I didn't have any intention of making any one look bad here. The '54 Buicks sparked my attention recently and I had done some research on other Buicks of that era. That info was still fresh in my mind so when I read that the wagon in question had a V8, I was trying to recall which model had the straight 8 for my own assurance.

You're fine by me...

I am not trying to horn in on your work, as my wife has already told me no more projects. Where is this yard. I live in the area and know most of the yards past and present and the ones currently running don't deal in old cars. Pm me if you want and I will give you my phone number and I can help with ID and take pictures.

ALK

HI , can somebody explain why I get the replys to this post in my

email? It's not my thread ,but I did reply to it. Not complaining ,just curious.

Thanks Roy

When you first started using this forum you were told that once you start a thread or reply to a thread the next reply is sent to your email. after going back and viewing it again the next subsequent reply will go to your email. I kinda like this feature especially if you have something for sale but you can stop it if you want.

You just keep learning all you can about them fitty fo's. MrEarl is going to find you one someday. :D

O.K. Now it gets interesting. I have a friend who would be interested in either or both of the two Gremlins. How can I get contact info.. Is the yard in Columbus or Cataula????

It just came to me, the location of this yard, if it is the yard I am thinking of. If it is, it really is not newly discovered. I have known of this yard for over 20 years. It was alway difficult to do business with the guy because you could never find him there. On rare occasions way back in the day, I rambled thru it looking for old dart or t-bird parts. Actually I heard that he had closed down.

When I went thru it I saw a 1957 Mercury turnpike cruiser. I had visions of hot rodding an old 50's Chrysler 4 dr and putting that rear window in it. Might have to take a ride back out there one of these days.