On the road again

Matt Harwood

I finally picked up my '29 Cadillac from the shop where the overdrive was being installed and the transmission rebuilt, and I have to say, it's amazing to drive. I've been grinning like a mental patient since Tuesday afternoon.

I took it to the big Solon (Ohio) cruise night and it created quite a stir there among all the late-model Mustangs and Camaros and late-50s hardware. It was the only non-hot rodded pre-1950 car in attendance, and the folks around it all evening demonstrated pretty conclusively that people DO love the old cars even when they don't have chrome big block Chevys under the hood. It was a real thrill for me to finally be able to participate rather than be a spectator.

It's ponderous in driveways, and I've learned that you simply can't turn the wheel unless the car is rolling, but on the road it drives surprisingly well with only moderate effort. The first year synchromesh transmission works as advertised as long as you take your time, and as everyone knows the brakes are simply awful. Everything seems to work except the clock--even the fuel gauge and thermostatically-controlled radiator shutters are functional! It starts as quickly as my Audi; touch the starter and it's running almost faster than you can get your foot off the pedal, which impressed the hell out of people at the show. It idles almost silently and has a cool V8 rumble on the road. And did I mention how HUGE it is? More than 6 feet tall and the top of the radiator shell is chest high.

The guys at Capaldi Enterprises did a great job on the transmission, which required some creativity to solve the problem, and they even detailed it for me. I have to admit, I'm even more impressed with its condition now that it isn't covered with 8 years of dust in a dark warehouse. It's incredibly straight, the paint is extremely glossy with notably few flaws, and the chrome is excellent. It doesn't look like a 30 year old restoration--perhaps 8-10. This car is A LOT nicer than it seemed now that it's clean and I can see it in the daylight.

Anyway, I'll be at Stan Hywet with it this Sunday, so if you see the guy sitting by the big, green Cadillac with a giant, stupid smile on his face, that's me. This was totally worth the money and the wait. I haven't been this happy in years.

I still can't believe I own an 8 cylinder Full Classic with sidemounts. Thanks for all the support, everyone. This is AWESOME!

5888-1929-cadillac-341b-5-passenger-sedan.jpg

Edited by Matt Harwood
typo (see edit history)

Matt you have a beautiful Cadillac, that is truly an impressive car. The overdrive is the icing on the cake. Having a full Classic with a capital "C" must be a dream come true for you. I am glad this magnificent car went to a person who will appreciate it and preserve it.

hi matt, is this overdrive transmission original cadillac equipment ?, or something that has been added to the cadillac.

Been added. Look here

post 46 http://forums.aaca.org/f169/ok-i-cant-put-off-any-302188-2.html#post881055

post 9 http://forums.aaca.org/f123/overdrive-units-188199.html

posts 11 & 27 http://forums.aaca.org/f134/overdrive-new-rear-end-gears-294877.html

Like other been following this with interest.

Edited by 1939_buick (see edit history)

It must quite rare to see one of these on Disc wheels. I know they were an option from 1927 to 1931. My book says that for 1929 a six disc wheel set up with fender wells was a $175 extra on top of the $3695 price. I am playing with a 1926 Pontiac that is on the optional disc wheels. I have yet to see another one like it.

Just some information for those that might not know.

An added overdrive is a mandatory 10 point deduction under the heading CHASSIS on the judging sheet. Having an added overdrive does not disqualify a vehicle from being judged at an AACA Meet. :)

Ah.....come on West. :rolleyes: A car like that one looks like it is going out on the town in it's best formal wear with those wide white wall tires. What gentleman of quality didn't wear his spotless, bright white spats for just such an outing. :)

Guest bofusmosby

Matt

Great looking car! I wouldn't worry about any 10 point deduction. Everyone there (including the judges) will be thrilled to see it!

Well, after about a week of enjoying the car, here are some thoughts:

It's simply wonderful to drive. The engine makes great sounds and has loads of torque--it pulls up the steepest hills in third gear without protest. It runs ice cold if the gauge is to be believed, showing 155 degrees cruising and never goes above 160 even climbing a steep hill in 80+ degree weather (even if it's off by 20 degrees, that's awfully good). It idles happily and doesn't get cranky as long as I wick the throttle occasionally to keep the carburetor from loading up. It makes 25-30 PSI of oil pressure at cruising speed and idles at about 12 PSI, which is what the manual says it should have.

It's comfortable cruising at about 40 without the overdrive, and pulls like a freight train with the overdrive engaged. However, I will admit that I hate the freewheeling feature. One, it makes the car feel like it's zooming out of control because there's no engine braking, and two, the car returns to idle any time you lift off of the throttle, so the battery isn't charging. Saturday evening, I parked it after an extended drive using the overdrive and the parking lights and found the battery was dead. A new Optima should cure that, but I wasn't pleased.

I'm still having some teething problems with the overdrive itself, but I'm confident they'll be sorted out shortly. It only shifts occasionally although I can hear the solenoid firing. Part of it may be operator error, and part might be something internal with the gearbox itself. Lloyd Young, the fellow who installed it, will fix it, no questions asked. He's even offered to come up to Cleveland from Columbus to do it, but we'll work something out. I may just drive the car down to him for a day. Either way, it'll be fully functional with no issues very shortly. But when it works, the car gathers momentum quickly, and easily hammers along at 55-60 MPH (I calculate 2000 RPM @ 60 MPH with the 32-inch tires and 4.75 rear gears). The feeling is quite extraordinary.

My lady friend and I took it to the annual Father's Day show at Stan Hywet Hall in Akron, which is always one of the best shows in the area. About 300 high-quality cars (which is sadly down from the 600+ that the show used to get in the heydays). I was in Class 1, which was 1925-1932 Full Classics, and there were some very nice cars, including the unrestored Stutz sedan one of our fellow forum members brought (sorry I don't recall your name). I just couldn't stop looking at it--an amazing find! There was a freshly restored 1930 Cadillac convertible coupe as well. I was parked next to a Stutz roadster and a gorgeous green Lincoln roadster, which took second in our class next to the 1930 Cadillac, and a 1930 Packard roadster. With all these wonderful, sporty open cars around me, I was stunned by the attention the big, green sedan received. I assumed it would be overlooked among all these other amazing machines, but I was flooded with positive comments, most particularly about the interior. I guess people appreciate the luxury it represents and it does have a nice air of patina and originality to it.

I did not have it judged because this is not a show car--I didn't want to waste the judging team's time on a car that I knew wouldn't win anything. It might be an 80-point car, but judging isn't why I bought it and why I don't care about things like a point deduction for the overdrive.

We caravaned home behind Dave Heinrich's 1916 Cadillac touring and Norm Krause's 1930 Marmon Big 8 sedan that was very similar to the Cadillac. A very pleasant drive until it started raining about 80% of the way home. I'm proud to say, however, that there are no leaks in the Cadillac, and the electric wipers (which were standard equipment in 1929) work reasonably well.

In all, I probably put close to 150 miles on the car over the weekend and am thrilled with the performance. The car itself works superbly, and only the overdrive, which isn't really part of the car, is being funky. Once that's sorted out, this will be a fabulous touring car. A wonderful day, a great performance, and I couldn't be happier with the car.

Here's the car on the show field shortly before we left (note how trampled the grass is next to the running boards from people peering into the interior). Many of the cars had already departed, but you can see that there were A LOT of people there. A great show, and extremely well organized by the ORCCCA.

5917-matt-harwoods-1929-cadillac-341b-5.jpg

And here's a video my lady friend, Melanie, shot while we were driving. Disregard the goofy driver. Is quiet, no?

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/NjgAi9_Own8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I do, however, still think I need a naked lady out there leading the way...

Edited by Matt Harwood (see edit history)

Guest De Soto Frank

Matt -

Free-wheeling was a BAD IDEA from the outset - that's why Detroit dropped it after only one of two seasons. ( Qualifier: maybe "Free-wheeling" wasn't such a bad idea in and of itself, but early '30' brakes were not up to the challenge.)

Many cars of that era have had the Free-wheeling feature disabled.

Suggest you NOT use it.

As for the brakes, they may not be up to the effectiveness of modern (1990's brakes), but if they are in good order and adjusted properly, I would be very surprised if they weren't as good as anybody else's brakes in 1930. ( after all, this was the company that brought us thermostatically-controlled cooling systems in 1916, and that engineering masterpiece: the V-16 )

The brakes on my '28 Ford, while not up to factory specs yet, are still surprisingly good, and capable of locking all four wheels...

Your car looks stunning; I'm glad you're getting out with it, enjoying it, and wowing the masses ! :cool: