Pulled the motor, cut two lines, help!!!

Guest Century55sedan

Guest Century55sedan

Hey everyone, Last night I pulled my 322 from a buick century. There are two metal lines going from the middle of the firewall (from the interior) to each side of the motor (at the rear). They are connected at the rear of the block, I cut these off while the motor was pulled. What are they? I will get pictures later.

Also could these lines be replaced or do I need to make some custom line? Anyone know where I could purchase a speed cable that connects to the tranny?

Thanks

Guest Century55sedan

Thank you very much for your quick reply. That is certainly not what I wanted to hear. One wire has this spiral loop going all around it, and the other doesnt. They are both very skinny lines. I got a few pix but I gotta wait til lunch time to post em... So did I basically screw the pooch on this one?

If you cut the line to a mechanical heat gauge it is now ruined. The only cure is to buy a new gauge. However I do not believe 55 Buicks came with a heat gauge, they came with an idiot light. Have a look at the dash. See if you have a heat gauge. If you do look under the dash and see if it has a wire (electrical) or thin tube wrapped in a spring (mechanical). If it is mechanical you just ruined your gauge.

On the other hand a mechanical oil pressure gauge can have a new line installed or the old one repaired and it will be as good as new.

Why not trace the lines and see where they go? If you had done this in the first place you could have disconnected them and saved yourself some repair work.

Guest Century55sedan

mtt1s4.jpg

Rusty, I totally agree, I went full head ahead and ran into a stupid wall. I am well aware of my own stupidity at this time. Above is the pic of the two lines I cut.

Guest Century55sedan

So one line appears to be the mechanical temp gauge, so the one on the left would be an oil pressure line? I will be taking apart the dash later today. I will be using way more care this time around.

Thanks for the help so far!!

Guest Century55sedan

I have looked and I havent been able to locate any aftermarket gauges. There is only the factory dash and thats all.

105waxc.jpg

30t72qg.jpg

Guest Century55sedan

Once again thanks for everyones help, I appreciate it. So what are my options now? I looked at the back of the gauge and it seems to be electrical because those metal tubes do not lead to it.

Once again thanks for everyones help, I appreciate it. So what are my options now? I looked at the back of the gauge and it seems to be electrical because those metal tubes do not lead to it.

What do they lead to??

Guest De Soto Frank

The tube with the spiral wrap is to the Temp gauge.

The other tube is most likely to the Oil pressure gauge.

GM was still using mechanical Bourdon-tube gauges in the mid-1950's.

Guest Century55sedan
The tube with the spiral wrap is to the Temp gauge.

The other tube is most likely to the Oil pressure gauge.

GM was still using mechanical Bourdon-tube gauges in the mid-1950's.

Thanks, that seems like it makes sense. Now to figure out how to fix my stupid mistake.

The oil tube can be replaced. there are fittings on each end. Your NAPA store likely can help. If not I might maybe have one. If so you can have it. Or you can simply sleeve and soft solder it back together. The temp gauge can be repaired but my guess is it would be cheaper/easier to just replace the gauge. It's no biggie............Bob

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)

Guest Century55sedan
The oil tube can be replaced. there are fittings on each end. Your NAPA store likely can help. If not I might maybe have one. If so you can have it. Or you can simply sleeve and soft solder it back together. The temp gauge can be repaired but my guess is it would be cheaper/easier to just replace the gauge. It's no biggie............Bob

Thanks for the suggestions. I swapping this motor to another century, so I will get the parts when time comes.

Hey everyone, Last night I pulled my 322 from a buick century. There are two metal lines going from the middle of the firewall (from the interior) to each side of the motor (at the rear). They are connected at the rear of the block, I cut these off while the motor was pulled. What are they? I will get pictures later.

Sorry to be so brutally frank here, but why on earth did you think cutting these lines would be no big deal? Do you always shoot first and ask questions later?

Guest Century55sedan

No offense taken, but this time I made a bad decision and cut without thinking. Lesson learned.

Sorry to be so brutally frank here, but why on earth did you think cutting these lines would be no big deal? Do you always shoot first and ask questions later?

I think that we should cut the guy a little slack...we ALL make mistakes doing things for the very first time! The poor guy is looking for help...not criticism.

These gauges come up from time to time...I ended up loosing my temp gauge myself when removing the motor. It was rusted in place and broke when removed. I now have a replacement sitting on a self waiting to be installed.

I continue to make mistakes with this project....its all a part of the journey. Good thing its a mid 50's Buick....would hate to have been done on some unobtainium part.

Guest Century55sedan

Thanks for every comment, you guys are great. And you live and you learn. I am come from working on hondas and lexus, so this was a new experience. Havent seen mechanical gauges like this ever, used to seeing clips and wires. Only hard wire on my lexus is the abs and clutch line, and I dropped that motor with out a problem.

Right now I have another year or so before the buick is going to be running so, I have time to find the parts.

The other buick is just a shell, there is nothing in it. Right now I am working on the firewall to prep for paint.