1947 56C Project "Can't finish unless you start"

jackofalltrades70

Back on topic.....

I found a gentleman locally who is going to help me install the top.  Seen some of his work, I get to work with him on the install and don't have to haul it 2.5 hrs away to have it done.

Still putzing around with stuff.  Final weatherstripping installation on top frame and had forgotten that the bakelite valve needed to be rebuilt.  It is almost to its destination in Florida. Should be a quick turn around.

I had it out again this weekend stretching her legs.  

MAN!  She is SO FUN to DRIVE!!!!!

Buicks are made to be DRIVEN my friends!

More updates as I get more done.

Matt

• Like 8

I just finished reading through this great thread.  What a magnificent accomplishment, Matt!  I love the video of the start up with the victory dance.  Enjoy your wonderful Buick in good health!

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Fonebone

590f38b21a039_myspacepicz244.thumb.jpg.659df9b1e9c1a834dac232ba80e22ee7.jpg

Hey Matt,

Your forum post of the 47 is a real eye opener. Seeing what you have done gives me nothing to whine about and a needed kick in the pants. Here is a picture of my wife's baby "Elvira". Don't be fooled, the upholstery is shot and someone did a poor job on the paint job in years past because they did not remove the molding, so now the paint has separated and rust has developed. Thanks again for the hood hinge and most of all the encouragement through your post.

Steve

Steve590f38d7034a3_myspacepicz246.thumb.jpg.8d6fb63c2664b2e64d346c35c7f7b33f.jpg590f38b21a039_myspacepicz244.thumb.jpg.659df9b1e9c1a834dac232ba80e22ee7.jpg

Worked on installing the bakelite valve under the dash tonight. I have 3 of the 5 hydraulic lines connected.  The last two go through the firewall to the pump.  Drove it around the block before putting her away for the night.

also did some work on the 56'. Getting her ready to sell.  Have another Buick in the bombsight and need the funds.  Already approved by the missus  too!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Spent some time tonight to finish up the horns.  What a beautiful sound.  My wife came running out of the house when she heard it!

I have to check the turn signal circuit.  Right tries to work and the left does nothing. Probably somethjng crossed.  I also have a shorted wire on the hydraulic circuit. When I hooked up the hot wire, it sparked. 

Fun,fun!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I finally have all of the hoses installed and fittings tight on the hydraulic pump circuit.  Bench tested the pump to make sure it still worked.  Cleaned all of the cable connections and installed it in under the fender.  Wired the hydraulic circuit in under the dash and all switches are working. The top switch also turns on the pump.  The seat switch also cycles properly. Can also hear the solenoids working.  ?

All that is left is to fill the canister with atf and test for leaks. 

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, PLEASE LET THERE BE NO LEAKS! 

• Like 3

So.......Rain,rain,rain.  It finally cleared up around noon today for a bit.  Left work early, grabbed the trailer, loaded the Buick and headed East.  I no sooner got out of town and it started raining at home. I must have stayed ahead of it!  Sunny skies with some clouds all the way to the upholstery shop.  Unloaded the car and went over everything with them.  Left the car in very good hands. The guys name is even Angel!

Downpoured on me 1/2 way back home until I pulled into town. Traffic slowed to 15-20 mph the rain was so hard.

Glad the convertible made it safe,sound and dry!

Matt

IMG_1112.JPG

IMG_1115.JPG

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Work, work, work.......and then 2nd gear started clashing a little shifting, then it wouldn not stay in second gear.  So, I only had her out a few times, shifting from 1st to 3rd.  Then, I put her away on jack stands in the garage until tonight. 

This time change really sat hard on me. I have had trouble staying awake in the evenings.  So, I rested all weekend and tonight after work, I started removing the rear.

Removed both tires and panhard bar bracket on driver side, after breaking the stud off.  I just put this stuff together a couple years ago..........anyways, both shock links are apart, I unbolted the springs from the rear.  Now, just have to unbolt the trailing arms and the torque tube and out comes the rear.

I have a set of gears ,(thanks fr. Buick) to change out in the rear whilst it is out of the way for transmission removal.  The gears are from a 54’ and should make highway travel more bearable to the ears. 

Once the rear is out, I will pull the tranny and check out this second gear problem.  I will also be checking out the clutch and pressure plate/rear engine seal and front seal on the tranny.

Glad it is winter and not driving time. 

Also need to get the hydraulic pump rebuilt and put back in.  Then I can finish up the windows, seals and convertible top cylinders

Matt

• Like 3

• 5 months later...

Back to report.  Pulled the tranny in the weeks after the last post.  I had posted pictures of the problem I encountered in the transmission. I took the tranny to a good old backwoods boy who does nothing more than rebuild old motors and transmissions.  Found that the snap locking ring that holds second gear was sprung and slipped out of the shaft groove. Tranny repaired, I started installing the clutch/pressure plate last Monday.  I noticed a small puddle of oil and a drop of oil on the oil pan. More on that to come....

Yesterday, after changing out the drag link assembly on my truck, I proceeded to install the tranny back in the car.  All is bolted back in including the rear and the tires are back on the rear.  I replaced the shock links on the rear while I was there.

Today, after finishing up brake lines, emergency barake cable and tranny

linkage, I want back to the drip on the pan. I wiped it off and noticed a hairline crack in the paint.  I wiped again and it started to drip faster.  So, I drained the oil, probably time for an oil change anyways.  

I pulled the pan and found this wonderful repair.  Who in there right mind would put bondo on the inside of an oil pan?  It lookes so perfect before I started sanding that it never would have crossed my mind that the pan was in this condition 

549B4C2D-88CE-4FE8-A227-BB25A6D6B620.jpeg

3E1744AF-1481-468B-AEDB-E5C26F311927.jpeg

Edited by jackofalltrades70 (see edit history)

14 hours ago, Ben Bruce aka First Born said:

That link is getting intercepted and diverted, Willie.

Ben

I have no idea why since if you copy the address and paste into the address bar it works....anyhow get cork/rubber gasket material comes in 36 inch rolls.

The pan is almost 38” long. I hate using the rolls of material because ya fight the damn thing to unravel and stay flat.  I pieced the end together so the timing chain cover is a separate gasket.  Interlocked the ends of the gasket to keep it from moving. A little gasket sealer to hold in place and help the gasket seal and it is installed!  Could not find any turquoise paint in the garage or local outfits, so for now is ford blue.?

Matt

New master cylinder I purchased at BCA meet in Allentown now installed and brakes are bled. Thanks to my son Kevin (he’s 13), for helping me bleed the brakes.  I managed to forget to turn the ignition off and ran the battery dead, so she is back on the charger.  Was a beautiful night and sure wished I could have took her for a ride before the monsoons start again tomorrow.

Matt

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Out for a ride last night to a Troop Appreciation Event and then to a Minor League ball game between the RailRiders(NY) and Syracuse team.  Was very hot and sun tried cooking us.  Then the clouds came and headed the convertible home before any showers caught me with the top down.  Drove

nice at 55mph on 81  North for 15 miles. No percolation of fuel. Happy with that.

Happy Memorial day to all,

Matt

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Before I went on vacation last week, I pulled the radiator and sent it to West York Radiator and Gas tank repair in York,Pa.  I had them re-core the radiator.  They repaired the top tank where it was dented also. Got back yesterday, radiator here today and installed back in the car.  Pulled a 170deg thermostat out that wasnt opening all the way and installed a 160.  Cooler running temp at idle. Hope I laid anothet gremlin to bed there.  

Also ordered a new set of Extra Wide White Radials from Diamondback for the girl.  With the 5/8” beauty bar, 3 3/4” wide white. Pictures of them when I get them.

1D432D27-82DD-46B9-92BE-44F25FDF97E1.jpeg

BF3F5BE1-FC36-43E3-85EB-56EA08C361F7.jpeg

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...