1947 56C Project "Can't finish unless you start"

jackofalltrades70

Ok. Here is the latest......we t to crank over the car and the starter would just spin.  Pulled starter off and took to local rebuilder with a spare in a box.  Wanted him to rebuild both to have a spare.  Was only able to salvage one out of the two.  Lost two days waiting.

got the starter back and cranked motor over until had fuel at carb.  Surprising enough, it didn't take long to get fuel at the carb filter.  Tried several times cranking yesterday to no avail.  

When assembling the motor during rebuild, I had several people helping.  NEVER AGAIN will I let someone help with timing chain installation.  It was all hosed up.  Was blowing out if the carb. Pulled radiator back out last night. Tonight pulled off the harmonic balancer and cover and found this.

image.jpg

Very sharp looking.  Good that you reset the timing set to the marks to be sure.  Remember that while the crank turns at 2x the speed of the cam, the tooth ratio between the gears and the chain links results in requiring many revolutions to get the chain, cam and crank gear marks to all line back up again.  On a 322 it just happens to take 116 revolutions for the whole thing to line back up.  It can drive you nuts. 

• Like 1

Installed four "more" brand new wheel cylinders tonight.  Whenever I did the chassis, all new brake components were installed and never even had a drop of fluid in them.  One of the cups in the wheel cylinder on the drivers side blew a semi circle hole right in the middle of the cup.

i have never seen anything like it and hope I never see that again.  

Brakes are now bled out again.

I now have turn signals front and back, will check brake lights tomorrow.

Ran the engine for about 20 min and then checked/adjusted valve

lash.   Sounds very smooth and seems to have a lot of power.

clutch seemed like it was rattling.  Will adjust tomorrow.

good night to my Buick bretheren

Matt

• Like 2

The victory dance is GREAT!!!!!   Please, if you have a minute, post the "before" picture again, just in case new folks here have not seen it.  You , my friend, also have an ice cold Killien's awaiting you in Allentown!!!  Happy days!!!

Final countdown and crunch time.

She gets another buffing tomorrow.  Still have a couple hours of fastener work here and there. Brake light switch not working.  Will address that tomorrow. All dash lights work, still have a little issue with drivers front turn signal. Might be wiring at flasher.

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 8

Finished up a lot of small items that have been pending for a llng while.

bumpers are finally correctly hung with all of the fasteners.

matting installed on the "running boards" and stainless strip installed.

finished running radio antenna wire and installing rest of windshield trim correctly

added some weatherstrip to passenger side door.

buffed paint for an hour or so. 

Got about 8 hours work in this morning.

still have to adjust the linkage and see i we get third gear back

• Like 3

Mad dash for the finish almost complete.

First in order was picking up new sway bar link kits for the front on the way home from work.

Adjusted the linkage per the shop manual and SHAZAM! We now have third gear!

I Lost a bit of time this afternoon to heavy rain and potential tornado nearby.  Sat with wifey and kids in the basement.

After rain decided it was done and sun came back out, took her out for a spin.

will be looking for a new set of gears for the rear later.  Sounds like she is wound up tight around 55. Has a lot of pedal left but didn't want to push her. 

Seems having the same problem Brian was with small backfiring while pulling a hill under accelration.  Will recheck timing again tomorrow.

Will be trailering her to Allentown. She is driveable, but the tires are a little on the old side and had so much other stuff on my mind, I didn't order new ones.  

Buffed the paint again all the way around the car.  Finally had her out in the light of day after the rain and could see a lot better.

hope to have some conversations with Adam and whomever else that wants to talk painting/buffing.  I still feel I can do better.  Maybe just not using correct materials.

Washed car and wiped her down. Vacuumed out the interior and kinda mounted the front license plate.  Cleaned/wiped off the seats and door panels with leather cleaner/conditioner.

and last but not least, installed the glove box.

I am whooped!

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The correct rear curtain has arrived and the top has been laid out flat for a little while to help any wrinkles and creases work their way out of the top.  Monday, I will go get the new glass cut along with the drivers door window of my 56'.  It has been cracked ever since I bought the car.

more news when on assembly when I can get the dimension of the top of the tub to the wooden bow.

I just posted in the thread about "Have you Driven..." about taking the '41 out for a drive tonight, and you post has got me thinking about getting a set of those halogen bulbs for mine. The difference between the old school ones, and those in our new cars is quite remarkable, like waaaay better.

I'm looking forward to seeing pictures with the top on your car, Matt.

Keith

• 4 weeks later...

Today, managed to get a lot of my pending outside things done around the house and had time to back the 47' out of the garage and put the top mechanism back up.  I have had the top material hanging in the garage to try and let some of the wrinkles slowly work their way out.  She is now back in the warmth of the garage awaiting me to have more time to do more. 

Hey, got all winter......;)

image.jpg

Edited by jackofalltrades70 (see edit history)
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...