1947 56C Project "Can't finish unless you start"

jackofalltrades70

Every week, I turn over the motor with the starter, just to keep everything freed up until that glorious moment of "combustion". I have been manually engaging the solenoid on the starter with a prybar. I guess, I must have pushed too far at one moment or another and the starter stayed spinning. I pulled the starter and found a clip had came off of the solenoid shaft that holds back the contacting "copper" ring washer. Put it back on and works like a charm.

Got the last of my goodies today. New radiator hoses, fan belt, correct battery cables and these.....

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Matt, I know how you feel at times. I have got so burned out that I don't want to do anything on cars for a while. I'm feeling a little bit that way now myself.

Take a break from it all for a while and you'll get charged up to get back into the project again.

Keith

• 3 weeks later...

Getting back in the groove again. Have to set one more piece of glass in passenger side door and done with windows.  Most of the under dash wiring is complete. Have to finish turn signal wiring to column and horn button.  Also need to wire clock.  Got my new fuel line and was wondering if someone can take a couple pictures of how it runs through and against the frame.

• Like 1

Matt,

I know EXACTLY what you mean when you said, "HAVE SO MUCH TO DO", I found that keeping a MASTER list of ALL the things I needed to do was ok, but kind of overwhelming, so now I make a list of a couple three things I want to do tomorrow or the next day.  For me it takes away the overwhelming part.

Enjoying your build, it will be over before ya know it.

Dale in Indy 

Oil line dilema......since I am trying to finish everything up and start her within the next week, I realized I donmt know where all of the oil lines run from the block to the external filter and so on.  Anyone got some pictures?  I have two open holes on the bottom of the block near the oil pan.  One has a 90 degree fitting in it and the other was just open and threaded. I hope to bend the fuel line that runs from fuel pump to carb tomorrow.  Temp gauge and oil pressure gage are hooked up in their respective ports.

Matt,

I think I can help you out. Attached is a picture of the oil filter in my '48 Super. You can see the oil feed line from the bottom of the block to the filter. The line from the filter to the head goes from the bottom of the filter to front upper corner of the head. I have this line and can send it to you if you want it. I also have the brass adapter fitting that screws into the head that the line attaches to. There is also a special brass oil restricter  fitting that goes into the top of the head at the exit port of the oil supply line.  Into that fitting screws an L-shaped piece of tubing that feeds the oil to the rocker arm shaft. I have both of those and will give them to you if you need them. Just let me know if you want these parts. Good luck with your project, you have come a long way.

IMG_2520.JPG

• Like 1

Here is a picture of the parts I have. The tube on the right goes from the head to the bottom of the oil filter. The tube on the left goes from the head to the rocker arm support, the special restrictor fitting is shown below it. I can send you these parts if you want them.

.Oil Lines 001.jpg

Finishing up little wiring projects all afternoon.  New everything to the headlight buckets and park/turn lamps.  All the wires are hooked up at the radiator support.  Started cleaning up the light bulb sockets for the taillights assemblies. They were pretty crusty. Still have to finish up the wiring at the sockets, then wire them in.  Tomorrow another day and going to get the 56' out of storage.

A little further along. Oil lines all figured out. Heater hoses ran and radiator full.  No leaks sitting still!  Went to change the filter element out and have the wrong one. Just another delay in starting the old girl.  Still have to drop the gas tank and run a new wire up into the trunk.  

Still have a few stray wires that need to be hooked up.  

Maybe this weekend. 

Message to self.....order a muffler. Gonna be a loud startup.

Tried to order muffler through Waldron exhaust.....8 week lead time. Need another source. Checking locally, but not expecting to find anything.  

Half of the taillight sockets are repaired.  The hydraulic pump is installed for the windows, seat and top.  Trunk latch mechanism is all back together.

ordered a filter today for the oil.  Must be different size than normal. We'll see soon I guess

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Update!

rear seatback cushion installed. Hope to finish hooking up the hydraulic cylinders and retorquing the bolts that hold the top down tomorrow. A little wiring to the dome light switch and that area will be complete.  

Trunk seal installed and latches adjusted.

started installing weatherstripping on the doors.

Picked  up new 6v bulbs for taillights and turn signals today.

have cut most of the backing material for the conv top tub area.  Just need to upholster the pieces now.

tomorrow and Sunday, finish wiring and try to start!

i am pooped

• Like 2

So, Saturday was a wash for working on the car.  Had an incredible time with my son getting him ready for his first solo week at Boy Scout summer camp.  Took him to camp and helped the Troop get everything set up.

Today, started at 7:00 am.  All of the wiring is connected.  I now have taillights, headlights, maplight and radio working.  Finished wiring in the courtesy lights on the seat. And, installed the drivers door panel.  Need to finish attaching to the door

No crank yet and I think I know why.  Will dive back in tomorrow after work.  

Good night

Matt

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 6