PreWar Mercedes Benz

alsancle

• 2 weeks later...

A friend just had a new radiator fabricated by Steve Babinski.   .   I would never buy a 500k/540K without a new radiator and it better look like this one.   Prices I've seen vary from 25k to 75k not including the work getting it out and back in.   This was on the higher end, but the results are fantastic.

I've included the before picture.

500KRadiator-Before.JPG

500KRadiator-Closeup.jpg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, alsancle said:

A friend just had a new radiator fabricated by Steve Babinski.   .   I would never buy a 500k/540K without a new radiator and it better look like this one.   Prices I've seen vary from 25k to 75k not including the work getting it out and back in.   This was on the higher end, but the results are fantastic.

I've included the before picture.

500KRadiator-Before.JPG

500KRadiator-Closeup.jpg

I just love the Auto Zone one size fits all alminum replacement radiators.......they have a nice look. 

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/23/2019 at 11:45 AM, RileyGrey said:

Hey All,

Anyone know much about this car? 

Thank you to alsancle for the leads as well!

Kind regards,

IMG_5506.JPG

IMG_5507.JPG

IMG_5695.jpg

Hey guys

Random question, I have seen the book that the bottom scan came from twice (on different forums) and I wondered if anyone knows what book it is? or even who JMA might be? I have PM'd the poster for more information but if anyone has any information, please post or PM me. Cheers Timothy

• 1 month later...

This is a photo of a 540K Spezial Coupe, but it's RHD, so I guess this is NOT 130944, the car owned by Gen Lyons for many years?! 

This seems like a picturesque '70ies resto job bright red with white wheels. Anyone know more? Is this a rarely seen 3rd car of this body style?

tumblr_oqgtd1FYBE1r37rcwo1_500.jpg

On 12/29/2020 at 9:01 AM, tilomagnet said:

This is a photo of a 540K Spezial Coupe, but it's RHD, so I guess this is NOT 130944, the car owned by Gen Lyons for many years?! 

This seems like a picturesque '70ies resto job bright red with white wheels. Anyone know more? Is this a rarely seen 3rd car of this body style?

tumblr_oqgtd1FYBE1r37rcwo1_500.jpg

It is the car that was owned for many many years by Gene Klineburger in Bellevue, Washington.   

It is NOT 130944 which is LHD as you indicate.  Although the following picture from 1972 has screwed people up for years as it is reversed.

540K-Coupe-Gene-Klineburger.thumb.jpg.094c478e57686a024bdbadd1131f4445.jpg

Edited by alsancle (see edit history)

On 12/29/2020 at 9:01 PM, Tph479 said:

4F7DF385-E874-4CF1-B432-6BB8054D8DD3.jpeg

I used to like the stone guards on these cars, but I have changed my mind. My restorer asked me, "Why would you want to obscure that beautiful radiator?" For some reason, the more I look at the stone guard, the more it looks "military" to me.

7 minutes ago, 540K said:

I used to like the stone guards on these cars, but I have changed my mind. My restorer asked me, "Why would you want to obscure that beautiful radiator?" For some reason, the more I look at the stone guard, the more it looks "military" to me.

The stone guard is the first tip off that the car needs a 75k radiator.

And yes, this is definitely a first series special roadster.

• Thanks 1

Agree with both of you.  They should drive the car in the video also.     Trying to sell a Cab "B" or "C" these days is not easy.    The Hebmuller bringing 9 something hammer pre-coronoa tells you everything you need to know about the 500/540k market.

• Thanks 1

The Melton Cab A is for sale again.  Interesting car.  Pebble Beach BOS.   One off.   etc.    They have put tires on it since RM offered at Amelia way back when.  It is a Tom Barrett respray from the 80s on top of the original Pebble restoration.   Cool, but needing quite a bit of refreshing.   To translate to the uninitiated,  "refreshing" a 540k means $400,000.   Full restoration is probably at least double these days.

https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/26617/lot/126/

408371-4.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

600 is too low............I don’t know these cars......but it’s too special, and provenance means something and BOS at Pebble is a plus. 

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, edinmass said:

600 is too low............I don’t know these cars......but it’s too special, and provenance means something and BOS at Pebble is a plus. 

Ed, they are talking about the Cab B for 600.   The last time the Melton car was for sale they wanted north of 2 BIG ones.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, alsancle said:

Ed, they are talking about the Cab B for 600.   The last time the Melton car was for sale they wanted north of 2 BIG ones.

That makes much more sense.................I would have expected a number in the two’s. 👍

• Thanks 1

On 1/10/2021 at 6:55 PM, alsancle said:

The Melton Cab A is for sale again.  Interesting car.  Pebble Beach BOS.   One off.   etc.    They have put tires on it since RM offered at Amelia way back when.  It is a Tom Barrett respray from the 80s on top of the original Pebble restoration.   Cool, but needing quite a bit of refreshing.   To translate to the uninitiated,  "refreshing" a 540k means $400,000.   Full restoration is probably at least double these days.

https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/26617/lot/126/

408371-4.png

Looks like No Sale again.

Does anyone know out of the small amount of units sold ("A" or "B") what were the color schemes? Or if not known does anyone have an educated guess as to the various color schemes? My preference is black and not red. Yet, I am curious what the preference was back in the days when these magnificent vehicles were manufactured. 

54 minutes ago, BucketofBolts said:

Does anyone know out of the small amount of units sold ("A" or "B") what were the color schemes? Or if not known does anyone have an educated guess as to the various color schemes? My preference is black and not red. Yet, I am curious what the preference was back in the days when these magnificent vehicles were manufactured. 

There is a set of factory color schemes outlined in one of Melin's books.    Most of the cars were not bright colors.   A lot of Gray and Black.

• Thanks 1

Echoing AJ's post. Page 24 of Melin vol 1. Twenty-six duo tone, twenty-five single color are listed as known examples with the important caveat, "there were no set colour schemes." These were custom cars - the client could get any color they wanted. Putting aside the question of an individual car's original color, there is no "incorrect" color, only incorrect types of paint. For example, the flake they were using then was ground fish scales, not metal, and the media was so fine that it was very subtle. One color was actually called "fish-silver," which is how my car left the factory. While there are a lot of black/grey combos and solids in Melin's list, you could get different shades of blue, green, yellow, red, white/off-whites, silver, burgundy/maroon, etc.

My car is now burgundy, a vast improvement, imo. To each his own, but I would never order a black or fire-engine red car (what I have always called slut-red), understanding of course there are some sports cars that look great in bright red or black. I just don't want one. Every black, bright red, white and silver car on the planet could vanish along with almost every American car since 1978 and I'd be perfectly happy.

• 2 weeks later...

Anybody else notice this SS?

https://www.prewarcar.com/319794-mercedes-benz-ss-710-roadster-1929

Original SS 710 Roadster from 1929

W06 

Matching Numbers Car

Blue Chip Car.

Car is in many books, also in very well known  „ mighty Mercedes“ with all Numbers and Pictures. 

Mille Miglia Car. 

Concours Condition.

Details an technical report on Request.

Car is located in Germany.

Buyers are welcome. 

1929MercedesSSRoadster-1.jpeg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...