Jump to content

PreWar Mercedes Benz


Recommended Posts

On 12/29/2020 at 9:01 PM, Tph479 said:

4F7DF385-E874-4CF1-B432-6BB8054D8DD3.jpeg

I used to like the stone guards on these cars, but I have changed my mind. My restorer asked me, "Why would you want to obscure that beautiful radiator?" For some reason, the more I look at the stone guard, the more it looks "military" to me.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, 540K said:

I used to like the stone guards on these cars, but I have changed my mind. My restorer asked me, "Why would you want to obscure that beautiful radiator?" For some reason, the more I look at the stone guard, the more it looks "military" to me.

 

The stone guard is the first tip off that the car needs a 75k radiator.

 

And yes, this is definitely a first series special roadster.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

This dude is the spitting image of Hugh Grant, except with a German accent.   Very nice Cab B that Car Gold has been trying to sell for a while.

 

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, alsancle said:

This dude is the spitting image of Hugh Grant, except with a German accent.   Very nice Cab B that Car Gold has been trying to sell for a while.

 

 

I think lady 3 years they trying to sale her.

Edited by Davlet (see edit history)
Link to post
Share on other sites

The video shows more of the narrator than the car. He should have been out of the shot entirely. Good lesson in how NOT to shoot a car video.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Agree with both of you.  They should drive the car in the video also.     Trying to sell a Cab "B" or "C" these days is not easy.    The Hebmuller bringing 9 something hammer pre-coronoa tells you everything you need to know about the 500/540k market.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The Melton Cab A is for sale again.  Interesting car.  Pebble Beach BOS.   One off.   etc.    They have put tires on it since RM offered at Amelia way back when.  It is a Tom Barrett respray from the 80s on top of the original Pebble restoration.   Cool, but needing quite a bit of refreshing.   To translate to the uninitiated,  "refreshing" a 540k means $400,000.   Full restoration is probably at least double these days.

 

https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/26617/lot/126/

408371-4.png

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/5/2021 at 12:49 PM, tilomagnet said:

Anyone knows what they are asking? What is a realistic price to move this today? $600k ?

Price is 1.8 mln Euros. It’s listed on mobile.de.

Link to post
Share on other sites

600 is too low............I don’t know these cars......but it’s too special, and provenance means something and BOS at Pebble is a plus. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, edinmass said:

600 is too low............I don’t know these cars......but it’s too special, and provenance means something and BOS at Pebble is a plus. 


Ed, they are talking about the Cab B for 600.   The last time the Melton car was for sale they wanted north of 2 BIG ones.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, alsancle said:


Ed, they are talking about the Cab B for 600.   The last time the Melton car was for sale they wanted north of 2 BIG ones.


 

That makes much more sense.................I would have expected a number in the two’s. 👍

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Here is a driving video of the Cab B with Hugh Grant.   That is a really really nice car.   I would expect it to be top of the market for "C" &  "B" cars.  

 

 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/10/2021 at 6:55 PM, alsancle said:

The Melton Cab A is for sale again.  Interesting car.  Pebble Beach BOS.   One off.   etc.    They have put tires on it since RM offered at Amelia way back when.  It is a Tom Barrett respray from the 80s on top of the original Pebble restoration.   Cool, but needing quite a bit of refreshing.   To translate to the uninitiated,  "refreshing" a 540k means $400,000.   Full restoration is probably at least double these days.

 

https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/26617/lot/126/

408371-4.png

Looks like No Sale again.

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, 540K said:

Looks like No Sale again.


Very interesting car but it has issues that keep it from bringing big money.  Number one issue is that it feels like a Cab C even though it is called an A.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone know out of the small amount of units sold ("A" or "B") what were the color schemes? Or if not known does anyone have an educated guess as to the various color schemes? My preference is black and not red. Yet, I am curious what the preference was back in the days when these magnificent vehicles were manufactured. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, BucketofBolts said:

Does anyone know out of the small amount of units sold ("A" or "B") what were the color schemes? Or if not known does anyone have an educated guess as to the various color schemes? My preference is black and not red. Yet, I am curious what the preference was back in the days when these magnificent vehicles were manufactured. 

 

There is a set of factory color schemes outlined in one of Melin's books.    Most of the cars were not bright colors.   A lot of Gray and Black.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Echoing AJ's post. Page 24 of Melin vol 1. Twenty-six duo tone, twenty-five single color are listed as known examples with the important caveat, "there were no set colour schemes." These were custom cars - the client could get any color they wanted. Putting aside the question of an individual car's original color, there is no "incorrect" color, only incorrect types of paint. For example, the flake they were using then was ground fish scales, not metal, and the media was so fine that it was very subtle. One color was actually called "fish-silver," which is how my car left the factory. While there are a lot of black/grey combos and solids in Melin's list, you could get different shades of blue, green, yellow, red, white/off-whites, silver, burgundy/maroon, etc.

 

My car is now burgundy, a vast improvement, imo. To each his own, but I would never order a black or fire-engine red car (what I have always called slut-red), understanding of course there are some sports cars that look great in bright red or black. I just don't want one. Every black, bright red, white and silver car on the planet could vanish along with almost every American car since 1978 and I'd be perfectly happy.

Link to post
Share on other sites

My car was originally Black with black boot, red interior and red wheels.   You would think it was ordered by a hot rodder.   My dad's car was originally black fenders, gray body, gray interior and tan boot.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Anybody else notice this SS?

 

https://www.prewarcar.com/319794-mercedes-benz-ss-710-roadster-1929

 

Original SS 710 Roadster from 1929

W06 

 

Matching Numbers Car

Blue Chip Car.

Car is in many books, also in very well known  „ mighty Mercedes“ with all Numbers and Pictures. 

Mille Miglia Car. 

Concours Condition.

Details an technical report on Request.

Car is located in Germany.

Buyers are welcome. 

1929MercedesSSRoadster-1.jpeg

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...