PreWar Mercedes Benz

alsancle

On 8/5/2019 at 12:13 PM, 540K said:

Only two 500 K / 540 K up for sale in Monterey this year, both at Gooding. A gorgeous Cab C, and an ugly Cab A. I cannot recall seeing a worse paint color than what is on the Cab A. It looks like gray primer. Maybe it looks better in person. On the other hand, best color on the Cab C. As they sit, I'd take the Cab C. With a repaint I'd take the Cab A of course.

poster.jpg?1 poster.jpg?1

And here I thought you were suggesting the burgundy one was the ugly one. The burgundy car's top looks awkward, plus it has sidemounts, chrome wire wheels which never seem quite right on these cars. Personally I like the gray one considerably more, if only for the line of the top and lack of sidemounts. I don't even mind the color, although the finish seems to have lost its shine. That could probably be improved, though.

1 hour ago, Matt Harwood said:

Personally I like the gray one considerably more, if only for the line of the top 

Matt. There is a reason the gray Cab A is worth twice as much as the maroon C, even when it would take 600k or more to get it in the same shape.

FYI, the gray car was a side mount model originally and the spare was moved to the trunk in the 60s.

I looked both cars over very close. The Cab A was not as bad in person as far as color. It was a very used car. Looked decent, but will require a bunch of money to get sorted. The Cab C looked as good as any 500/540 I have ever seen. People were complaining about the market.......there were so many cars, extended days for many auctions, and many duplicates of the same car, all with very high expectations................after all the fog cleared, I think the results were average over the pas t five years or so. Seems everyone expects the market to jump ten percent every year.

The color on the Cab A was polarizing.   I'm with Ed in that I liked it.   But I have some buddies that thought it looked like primer.   Considering the discount for RHD,  it sold for about the same as the Red Cab A at Bonhams a few years ago in similar shape.

IMG_5892.JPG

IMG_5897.JPG

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I disagree....it’s NOT a 320........it’s a 290. I just found one a few weeks ago..........down south. Needs everything. 

I can't tell you how sad it makes me that Ed has to point out the obvious.  I was thinking about what the visual differences were between the 290 and the 320,   top of the front fenders are a little different?  Anything else so I don't do that again?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

I am a new member here and would like some information on some 540k bright work. One wheel is missing the star. Are there any suppliers for these or leads for new ones?

I have had hardware and bright work cast and plated in the past but I want to see if anyone has leads before I go thorough this process.

Thank you,

RG

IMG_7105.jpg

IMG_7106.jpg

On 11/3/2019 at 8:12 AM, alsancle said:

I can't tell you how sad it makes me that Ed has to point out the obvious.  I was thinking about what the visual differences were between the 290 and the 320,   top of the front fenders are a little different?  Anything else so I don't do that again?

Since I know the car, the owner, and the shop that did it........it was an unfair advantage.........even with the plate on the front of the car. There is a similar car sitting in a garage about a mile from me here in Palm Beach........just an old used car. It was for sale about a month ago, bit I didn't ask for a price. It looked like 500k would spruce it up and make it go down the road. 

6 hours ago, alsancle said:

A 320 is an expensive restoration project.  Not as bad as a 500k/540k because the mechanics are simple but everything else is just as expensive.

The only cheap thing on a Mercedes is the owner! They are wonderful and very complicated cars.......a real handful......and beyond the ability of most collectors to deal with. Even into the 50’s there was a lot of hand work in building them.

• Haha 1

I checked my sources.....the car isn't at the collection I thought it was at. (Marin county, California)  For any great car, when you need information, there is always one or two individuals who have the true background on each individual manufacture. I'm a Pierce Arrow guy.......and I get and am able to answer the majority of the questions put to me. When it comes to the super exotic pre war mega dollar stuff.....there's  just one go to guy in the field.............no questions asked........See the photo below for his contact info. He not only knows all pre war mega cars like no one else.....he's a 540K guy at heart. I have done business with him, and his results are nothing short of astonishing..............and I have been at this for fifty years. Good luck in your quest, and tell him I sent you to him. Best, Ed.

IMG_1317.JPG

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

RM has their catalog pictures up for the coupe we discussion previously.   Originally a Cab A updated to a coupe in the early 50s by an established coachbuilder.   Very interesting and cool car which should bring a significant premium over the sidemount (deleted) Cab A that Gooding sold this summer.

https://rmsothebys.com/en/auctions/az20/arizona/lots/r0047-1937-mercedes-benz-540-k-coupe/836179

154153-1.jpg

On 2/2/2014 at 9:58 PM, Bill K. said:

This is from the 1979 Schrader book. I like this 1950 car. I wonder what the original body was on this chassis. I wonder what the chassis number is.

I apologize for lack of quality; my scanner is small and stinks!

I don't think Bill has been on the forum in a long time,  but the car he was asking about is 154143,  the Hebmuller coupe we are discussing.

I’m about as far down the food chain as you can be on a Mercedes 540, that being said, car looks great, and has not been seen in years, all big positives for the sale. My one question is if/how much the POST WAR modifications effect value and desirability. I would think some people would just walk away due to the timing of the changes. Trying to apply this car to the standard 540 marketplace may not make sense. It sure has enough eyeball to exceed the high estimate. It will be fun to watch it hammer at the sale.