Your opinion please

Guest windjamer

Guest windjamer
:) Hey guys AND girls, for our local fathers day show it was suggested that we try to obtain a POS junk car put it on the show field along with a sledge hammer and safty goggles and let the kids (and adults ) wack at it for a buck a wack. Money gos to charity. I talked with a local salvage yard and they will donate the vech,deliver it to us and pick it up after the show. I am now having second thoughts on the idea and since I scrounged the car maby I should cancel delivery,after all, we are in the bussness of trying to save old cars. What do you think?? I will present your opinion to our club and see if its still a good idea. Thanks.:)

It is my understanding that nationwide an adult cannot sign away the rights of a minor child. So even if you have parental/guardian waivers for those under 18, they aren't worth the paper they are printed on if someone under 18 gets hurt.

Exactly correct.

Guest quadfins

I would not have the sledgehammer, for the reasons mentioned above, and also since it encourages disrepect for old cars.

However, I might put it on display with some sort of sign or placard soliciting restoration tips. Maybe as a sort of DPC or HPOF?

Jim

I have seen this before and it always makes me feel bad. If I know there will be car smashing at an event I think twice about going. The events that feature car smashing are usually pretty crappy anyway.

Today it seems to be more popular to hold a draw for a restored car. $10 a ticket for a chance to win a 1957 Thunderbird, 1970 Challenger or the like. I like this idea and usually buy a couple of chances.

If you cannot go all out for a $10000 to $50000 car how about a draw for a piece of art work, tools or accessories? Some local businesses or enthusiasts may be willing to donate.

From a retired insurance person's perspective, I think those days are gone. You can probably buy insurance for the liability issue, but it would probably cost more then you can raise.

%0%-50% raffles might work, but make sure local ordances are not violated or taxes and licenses are bought. Everybody wants their "piece of the pie" these days. Just my thought. Get somethinbg donated you can raffle is my suggestion.

John

Guest billybird
We had fundraisers like this in HS all the time. Boy, has this world changed.

You can say that again! We used to do this all the time when I was growing up, except it did'nt cost anything. There were always plenty of junk cars sitting everywhere in the rural south.

We used to do this in HS.

Rather than using an older car that could become a collectible use a POS like a Fiat or a Saab.

naughty.gif

All cars could become collectible. Correct that, they do. And every brand has it's POS's as well, and they even overlap at times.

As a matter of fact, the last Father's Day show I was in here in Cincinnati raffled off a 1986 Saab convertible that was donated. It was a decent, running car with low miles, but no creampuff or restored show car. Tickets were $25.00, and they sold like hotcakes. They raised at least 3 times what the car was worth for the local volunteer fire dept.

I seriously doubt they'd have made as much money smashing a similar car.

Yup, I remember the school car smashing as well. IIRC, at the time it was a nickle a swing. Of course the old cars being smashed back then couldn't hardly be hurt with a sledge hammer. lol

I must agree that holding such an event now is not a very good idea, but why not raffle off a new 4 wheeler, or other item of interest to the people in the area?

Just a thought...

Yep. If it was 1930, and someone brought an original 1912 Model T to an auto show for others to smash with a hammer because it was an old junker at the time, That would not look so good 90 years after the fact.

Daaho, there goes the brass lamps first, Daddy wacked em hard.... Kringe...kringe.... Dandy Dave!

We had fund raisers like that before all the insurance hassles, good thing no one ever got hurt.

We had to let them swing until they got tiered, most would swing 3 or 4 times, the young guys would do maybe 12.

The glass was always the first thing to go .

Never made much and clean up was a pain.

...I also think destroying an old car is the wrong message for any of us who claim to support their preservation.

My sentiments exactly. No matter what car you pick, there will be SOMEONE looking for parts from it. OK, maybe you could use a Pontiac Aztek... ;)

Maybe it would be fun to set up one of those faceless people with an old car and let everyone get their picture taken with it? That way as they look at their own picture they would see an association with old cars?

A muscle man for whomever and a Betty Boop type also? Then you just got to get a nice car.

Also maybe you could have that old car and set up a welding class. You don't have to put anything together, just let them weld a few seconds on a fender. Maybe their initials? That might help some to feel less intimidated by restoration equipment?

Guest windjamer
:D Joe, after having two Aztecs in the shop this week I understand and agree with your assesment of Aztec. I also agree with the rest of the posters, Its not a good idea. Thanks all.:)

Two events that recently were well received to raise money for our Secret Santa Foundation program were:

A Zumbathon, the instructors donated their time and the church where one of our members goes donated the use of their multi-purpose room for the event.

And a silent auction where items that had been donated were auctioned off by writing down bids on a list.