Basket-Case Restoration Project Photos

Guest Silverghost

Guest Silverghost

Thought it might be fun to see some...

Before-During & After photos of some very rough & tough basket-case restoration projects that have been restored and brought back to life when others told you that you were crazy to take-on such an ambitious project.

Autos that had so little to begin with when you first found your "dream project car" .

What ground-up have you, or others done ?

The older & rarer the project the better & more fun !

There were many very old cars literally dug-up out of the ground in the 50s & 60s .

I have seen many of these projects attempted by others over 50 years...

Many, if not most, were started & sadly never finished !

Still some have turned into 30-40 year project obsessions !

Let's see some interesting restorations & project car finds !

Edited by Silverghost (see edit history)

I don't have any photos, but 15-20 years ago I bought a 20-30 HP Stanley Steamer rear axle, that someone snaged with a backhoe on a construction site. It was in good shape, not badly rusted, and went to the top Stanley restorer in the country. I'm sure it became a 30HP Stanley Mountain Wagon, most likely winning an AACA National Award.

Edited by 1937hd45 (see edit history)

Here is the before and after pictures of a 1929 Studebaker Dictator Cabriolet that I found in an almond orchard in Durham, CA. A friend of mine bought the car and restored it from the frame up. He did all of the work himself in his garage and drive way about a 5 year period. My friend is the fourth person to own the car since the “restoration” was started in the 1960s and completed about 2007. The preceding three owners tore the car apart and collected incorrect parts to add to the parts pile. It took 5 truck loads to haul everything home from the almond orchard.

post-30688-143138327849_thumb.jpg

post-30688-143138327852_thumb.jpg

post-30688-143138327853_thumb.jpg

post-30688-143138327858_thumb.jpg

post-30688-14313832786_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mark Huston (see edit history)

Guest Kingoftheroad

I like those old wrecks as they are (they make for good landscape scenes), its always great to see them brought back too.

What really breaks my heart & frustrates me is someone that takes apart a decent old car with the intention to restore it and they leave the car in pieces. What a waste. I see so many cars taken apart only to be abandon....

People die, it's part of life. ;)

I like those old wrecks as they are (they make for good landscape scenes), its always great to see them brought back too.

What really breaks my heart & frustrates me is someone that takes apart a decent old car with the intention to restore it and they leave the car in pieces. What a waste. I see so many cars taken apart only to be abandon....

Guest Kingoftheroad
People die, it's part of life. ;)

I'm not talking about those that die, I am referring to those that simply walk away, lose interest, etc..

I always thought it would be an interesting study to look at the average time elapsed between when someone decides to "fix up" a vehicle and it actually ever getting done. I suspect it would be years and a significant # never go back together. We are finishing an MG TD that the owner disassembled for restoration 39 years ago. In about 1979 we bought a totally disassembled 1920 Overland 4 that had been taken apart for rebuild in 1938. I suspect the start/finish ratio is even worse for street rods. As a corellary it would be fun to look at how many owners an antique car goes thru between original being "collected" and its being back on the road.

I've done two total-disassembly restorations. A '64 Lincoln convertible took 3 years. A '35 Auburn super-charged convertible took a year and a half.

My brother did two total-disassembly restorations. A '49 Jeepster in 9 months and a '23 Cadillac touring in 2 years.

Key factors in all of these were how busy we were at work, and whether we devoted more or less time to working nights or weekends at our jobs.

Guest Steve_Heald
I can believe that, Steve. Did you restore it yourself?? Nice job!!

Ben

Thanks Ben.

I can't claim responsibilty for the entire finished product, but my part of the project was historical research (think AACA Library and Research Center) to find out what the correct missing parts were; all the parts hunting (think 8 years of Hershey); and the woodwork (think lots of sawdust). Once we had everything, it all went to a great restoration shop (think one full year) to put it all together.

Man, that '51 Woody had wood termites AND steel termites in it!

Minus some of the interior panels, there was zero significant wood on it when it came in. Rust problems on these is typical of the type seen here. Back when values were up, a lot of people were restoring wagons in this condition.

Thanks for the compliments. Anyone who cares to see the process in more detail can visit my thread about restoring a '49 wagon in very similar condition.

I hope posting the link is ok, as I'd rather not plaster the same identical thread all over the interweb as some seem keen on doing.

Kudos to the owner for doing much of the work himself. This is basically schooling for him, having diligently come in about three days a week for the last 18 months.