Everybody in Austin OK?

MrEarl

Ames/central Iowa just spreading the love.

Now here, it's been pretty nice but I guess we have some of that rain coming to arrive tomorrow.

The rivers are just returning to late summer normal in central Iowa. Those corn and soybean fields, a crisp emerald green at the time of the BCA National meet, are now a golden brown or getting there.

Highs in the mid 70's, lows are "good sleeping weather" 58 degrees.

My eyes, my eyes, will never be right again!:confused:

Oh, NO!! Didn't the Buick Rascals just go through this when Dandy Dave appeared in his Speedos and we had to resuscitate (I know, probably spelled wrong) Les with about a hundred girls on 53 Buick photos. Here ya go Berta, maybe this will help soothe your eyes.

<object width="960" height="745"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkN5SY77MqY?fs=1&hl=en_US&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkN5SY77MqY?fs=1&hl=en_US&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="960" height="745"></embed></object>

Next thing we know Bill will be in a Wet T'shirt contest sporting his Buick Man T'shirt

Lamar . . . "COME ON DOWN!!!" You can laugh at some of the "weirds" like the rest of us do--or look the other way and shake your head. Gotta be brave, sometimes.

FYI, Speedo makes a full line of swimwear for males, other than their iconic "flatten and flatter" (their advertising words) male swimsuit. Some are also rather loose fitting!

I hope that future HR operatives don't do a search, Bill and Mike.

Enjoy the warmer weather while it's here . . . Getting to be pretty nice convertible weather!

NTX5467

Guys, don't give out all the secrets or we will have the rest of the North down here.

When I slid South in 1970, Round Rock TX was 2,500 people, last I heard it was 100,000+

Did you know that down here old cars don't rust away, they actually expand.

Barney, in the '80s when we had "heating" gas and the northern people didn't, and when unemployment went sky-high up there, there were LOTS of cars down here with TX license plates (fresh ones) that had floppy fenders and quarter panels. WE knew where THEY came from, hehe.

That was an "interesting" time in TX . . . we got beer that used to be "up there" only; those who came in search of work in the construction trades discovered that they had to "start at the bottom" rather than step into a similar job (as they used to have) right away; those who had never been "up there" soon found out why cars didn't last long up there, body-wise; some of the sothern dialectical items seemed to vanish . . . only to be heard in locales farther away from the population centers . . . and EVERYBODY came to be greeted with "Hey, Guys!", even if it was a group of FEMALES or a mixed-gender group!!!. In other words, the storied Texas culture became more "diverse" as the newbies wanted to do everything the way they did them "up there" rather than FIRST learn how things were done "down here" and then learn why they were that way before passing judgment of which way was really better. In many cases, they didn't even ask first, just took over as if they were automatically right! Oh well . . . so much for history.

But ONE thing they didn't seem to do was "conservatize" Austin. Even Tom DeLay didn't want his trial in Travis County as it was "too liberal". Gentrify, yes . . . conservatize, not quite.

Can that original "round rock" still be found, Barney?

Enjoy!

NTX5467

I saw the top of the round rock on Saturday after the creek went down far enough to see it again.

Willis, if you have interest in seeing it, it is in the middel of Brushy Creek in the middle right off of I 35. Take the Sam Bass rd and turn to the right, 1 light turn left and look in the creek.

Todays history lesson, Round Rock TX was named after the Rock in Brushy Creek that was use as a marker for Chisholm Trail cattle drives. In this area, there is limestone under the soils. The creek and river beds are mostly limestone (not a dirt bottom) so the creeks run clear and the cattle and wagons can travel on the river bed. Near the "Rock", which is just west of the I-35 crossing, you can see wagon tracks worn into the limestone.

Today, a college drop-out has a small business and moved it to the south side of Round Rock, that business has prompted many people to move to the area. Within the last year, there have been two new hospitals built, Chandler road is now University Blvd as Texas A&M, Texas State, have both started local campus(s)

The college drop-out was Michael Dell, many of you may be looking at a Dell computer now.

Barney and Bill, thanks for the information.

5563, there are more "incognito Aggies" in Austin than you might imagine! But, with the correct "filter", you can probably figure out who they are. At least TAMU does not have a state monopoly on med schools like they do for the vet school. Guess they're expanding their horizons???

I remember reading about Michael Dell building computers in his dorm room. His operations got to take so much time and were so profitable, that he needed a bigger place.

Enjoy!

NTX5467