re: Cars & Parts publications merge into one title.

rocketraider

I can sort of understand their business reasons for doing so, but I can also see their reasonably good multi-marque coverage going downhill fast. They'll have to focus on their former single-marques to keep that subscriber segment happy, and that means little to no coverage for non-mainstream enthusiasts.

A fairly well-rounded musclecar magazine did pretty much the same thing in the mid 90s and quickly became just another Camaro/Chevelle magazine. Even when their subscriber base yelled about it, the new format remained concentrated on Chevrolet muscle since that was the editor's area of expertise. Within two years that magazine had folded, and it is the only magazine for which I have ever requested a refund for undelivered subscription.

If anyone from Amos is reading, my vote is a big thumbs down. I'm speaking as a 27 year C&P subscriber who is paid up thru 2012.

Hi- which magazines are being combined? Guess I missed the news. The whole trend in the world of "collector" car magazines bothers me. I don't buy the antique car magazines to read about restorods or hot rods, there are plenty of other publications out there for that. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy reading about historic or traditional rods, just in a separate magazine. For example, I subscribe to Rodder's Journal, which is an absolutely beautiful piece of work (and if you haven't seen one, borrow or buy one and enjoy, even a purist like me can't put it down).

I believe the two interests should be kept separate, but I feel magazine owners and editors get concerned that there won't be enough old car people to read their publication, so they start throwing in the hot rod stuff. Pretty soon, as you say, the whole mess declines into just another boring go-round of small block installations (just once, won't someone put a slant six into a duece roadster, please?)

West Peterson posted a "sticky" at the top of the General Discussion forum, stating that Amos Publishing was shrinking their car-magazine base from seven to one. A new publication called Auto Enthusiast will replace these seven current titles: Cars and Parts; Chevy Enthusiast, Corvette Enthusiast, Mopar Enthusiast, Musclecar Enthusiast, Mustang Enthusiast, and Pontiac Enthusiast.

That's quite a retreat, but much better than rumors that I had heard, that Cars and Parts would be ceasing. I didn't subscribe to Cars and Parts, but bought it occasionally, and thought it was very good. I had never even heard of the other magazine titles, as the newstands are crowded with lots of specialty titles, some of which aren't very good.

I agree with you. The new magazine will have to have lots of articles on Mustangs, Musclecars, Chevrolets and Pontiacs to keep their subscribers interested. Myself, I'm interested in other makes and cars that aren't "popular." I hope they won't over-emphasize Chevrolets, Pontiacs, etc. and instead keep a broad-based coverage.

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

The oldest issue of Cars & Parts magazine in my home library is October 1971, volume 15, no. 1. The slogan on the masthead reads, "A Magazine Serving the World of Historic Motoring." Good slogan.

Inside is a classified ad for a 1957 Imperial Crown Southampton. Listed asking price is $1,300.

Watching the car hobby fracture over the last few years, I can't help but wonder if in the future someone will discover that Imperial chopped, lowered, and powered by a crate engine. Will people look at the car and think that is what America was all about?

Dave Duricy

I guess it should have been apparent this was going to happen. I subscribed to C & P for nearly 20 years and after Amos bought it the issues shrank and "MODStock" (street rods) moved in. I dropped my subscription and shortly after could not find it on the news stand anymore. I did start reading online and their content has been improving, IMO.

So they had little newsstand activity and a free online subscription with little publicity. They can't be making money in such a situation and they probably shrank to the point of not being able to maintain the titles. Rather like GM underperforming and shrinking, then discontinuing brands. I doubt the Mopar and Corvette readership will be interested in the likes of a 1914 REO, so I am guessing C & P is now dead and I am sorry to see it go. Todd

I subscribed to C&P for many years. I stopped getting it several years ago when it began to shrink and had less and less of what I was interested in. I went on to other publications that I felt gave me more bang for the buck. I'm about to drop another publication that I've been getting since the early 90's because I don't like some of the changes that have been made recently. I spend too much on subscriptions anyway.

John M, what's the name of the other publication that changed for the worse? This thread can be a useful one for describing what's great and what's not in the world of car magazines.

I'm sorry to see that the classified ads in Cars and Parts, Old Cars Weekly, and even Hemmings are fewer in number than they used to be. (Other than Hemmings, the magazines' classified sections are barely useful.) However, I think the article content is just as good as I remember it being.

Even in our own collector car world, internet is affecting magazine subscriptions. I give my Pontiac bud his POCI membership for Christmas every year. This year's renewal notice offers an "eMembership" for almost half the price of the regular membership. You get online access to Smoke Signals, with no printed magazine mailed.

In my case, kinda hard to keep a laptop in the bathroom reading material rack.

I felt C&P was beginning to lean more toward modified cars, but the tech articles aimed at those were useful in restorations too. I just hate to see yet another magazine drop its coverage of non-mainstream hobby cars in favor of what's "popular". You lose an incredible amount of information and perspective on the car hobby.

At least we still have our in-house magazine and Collectible Automobile to keep things balanced. Too many non-hobby people already have the jaded idea that hot-rodded 57 Chevys and Camaros are all we're interested in.

A new restaurant opened here a few weeks back, and the owner displays a driver-quality restored 1965 Chevy stepside pickup out front. He stated he hoped the car folks would try the restaurant and possibly use it for meetings and possibly a cruise night.

The kicker? It's a bistro/fine dining type of joint, and the "fine dining" crowd here immediately went on the offensive over that, squalling in the newspaper about how they wouldn't enjoy eating with a crowd of greasy car people who had Camaros with blowers sticking out of the hood, and that fine dining and old cars were incompatible and never the twain shall meet. Et tu, Duesenberg and Cadillac?

Thankfully several people with correctly restored cars started showing up including some AACA National winners, which thoroughly confused the anti-old car crowd. They were expecting Camaros with blowers, and they got Essexes, 1940 Fords and '55 Pontiacs.

If this consolidation goes thru (and pretty sure it will) I'll give Amos my remaining subscription to prove they're not going to ignore the out-of-mainstream old car hobbyist. If they do, well, it's like John_Maine said- I spend too much on subscriptions anyway.

Edited by rocketraider (see edit history)

Guys, do not assume that publications are going by the wayside because people do not like the content. Cost of paper has gone up dramatically again and advertising pages and dollars has been reduced across the board in the entire periodical business. Digital printing is on the rise dramatically and people are using apps and other electronic media to stay in touch with their "likes". Also the USPS has proposed a dramatic increase in postal rates for periodicals. If this decision is made (understand a decision may be in the offing by October) it will put even more businesses under. The financial case for a magazine is a tough one.

AACA's staff have been vigilant in working with our advertisers and printer to give you a quality magazine. Wait till you see the Sept/Oct issue! 8 additional pages.

Please, you are welcome to your opinions of other publications but no bashing of anyone. C & P has always been a favorite of mine. They have been a great supporter of the hobby and AACA>

I subscribe to Motor Trend, Car & Driver, Collectible Automobile, Old Cars Weekly and Hemmings Classic Car as well as memberships in the Buick Club, AACA and Ford Galaxie Club of America - so get those mags as well. I'm keeping Hemmings and my BCA and AACA, maybe Collectible Automobile.

I don't want to "bash" any of them....just that I am disappointed in some of the changes that have been made to some publications. The changes don't suit me; others likely don't feel the same way and that's fine. I'm not paying for something I'm not happy with. I understand that the magazine business isn't what it used to be and is probably only going to get worse. I will buy books and magazines as long as they are in print; I have no interest in e-books or anything of that ilk. If books and mags eventually disappear, then I guess I'll do without.

Edited by John_Maine (see edit history)

Good-natured car fans would never "bash" a magazine. Constructive criticism, though--along with accolades-- is important as we hear each others' opinions as to what makes a good magazine. A publisher or any other attentive business often has to pay for survey results--while we're giving valuable input here free of charge!

As far as content goes, I think Automobile Quarterly has had, by far, the best-researched and best-written articles. They don't merely state the obvious, but speak to former executives, research the history of forgotten companies, and give insight you don't get elsewhere. I don't subscribe, but I pick up the occasional older copy here and there and am impressed. Beverly Rae Kimes was an editor with extraordinary talent.

Steve M, you mention that the cost of paper has been going up again. In your memory (or anyone else's who may know), has the cost of paper been cyclical like other commodities--wheat, copper, oil, etc.-- or has it been increasing steadily for decades at a rate above the general rate of inflation?

Usually, when prices go up extraordinarily, market forces correct the price after a time. Of course, the postage rate isn't as affected by market forces, and I hope for everyone's sake that they will keep 2nd Class (periodical rates) discounted.

John, most things in life are a but cyclical but this has been a problem for several years and i do not see it getting better. The forces are paper mills going out of business, several natural disasters that have caused a lost of raw materials, smaller demand in the US (Asia is booming), rising costs, etc. We had a year of stabilization but we are back in the same box again. This is a huge problem for those of us that run on tight budgets.

I could write volumes on the costs we incur in putting out our magazine. It is a complex issue and if you would read a USPS bill you would understand. I am very worried about their request for increased rates, they may in fact need them but it will cost us dearly if approved. According to industry sources it will in fact put several periodicals out of business.:(

There you go, Steve, you have a topic for a future editorial! With your position as Executive Director, you have insights on producing, printing, and mailing that others would be interested to know. Or West Peterson could write about "How Antique Automobile is Produced."

I know that irregularities in commmodity pricing can play havok with manufacturers (and end-users) of all sorts. Usually they get corrected--sooner or later--and I trust that will be the case here too. When oil was $120 a barrel in 2008, one experienced oil investor--a well-known billionaire-- predicted that we would never again see oil below $100 a barrel in our lifetimes. Within a year, it was below $50, and it's still around $70. So with one eye, watch costs, and with the other eye, keep a brighter outlook! Capitalism usually works.

Does anyone know (by percent, for example), what the postage increase for periodicals is proposed to be?

Guest Hinckley

I have a very long association with Cars & Parts and as a result am having a little trouble with the recent decision.

The first automotive magazine my wife purchased for me 27 years ago was C & P. It was a magazine we often shared.

Several years ago a long held dream was realized when I was offered a position as assistant editor at C & P. I have written for numerous publications including Special Interest Autos, Old Cars Weekly, and Hemmings Classic Car. I have also written six books.

However, my most enjoyable endeavor associated with writing was the monthly column, The Independent Thinker, penned for Cars & Parts. The letters received, the people met, and the discoveries made in the research were a never ending source of enjoyment.

Then there was Bob Stevens. I have an association with Bob that spans almost thirty years but we first met three years ago. He is a true car guy in the purest sense of that term.

C & P is a magazine that will be missed and that will be even harder to replace.

Mr. Hinckley, from your special perspective, do you think the new magazine "Auto Enthusiast," which is to replace Cars and Parts, will be virtually the same as the former title? Or it could be even better. Some of us on this forum are hoping that it will continue to cover a wide range of antique cars without too much emphasis on the cars from its former specialty titles.

Special Interest Autos was a very good magazine, too. Only a few pages were in color, but substance beats style any day in my book. I subscribed to SIA for many years.

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

I think I first subscribed to Cars & Parts in the '70's. I was only interested in the editorial content and show listings. Menno Duerskson (I think that is mis-spelled) wrote very good brand specific articles in installments. I would read them as they were printed and then go back and read the entire story again when all the installments had been printed. Eventually C&P became mostly advertising with little material on the older cars and quite expensive. I then became acquainted with Hemmings Classic Car, dropped C&P and subscribed to HCC. What finally disgusted me with C&P was the issue with the editorial content devoted completely to VW. I subscribe to Automobile Quarterly and have a complete set of that. I enjoy it very much and also enjoy Antique Automobile and Wheels of Time, the publication of the American Truck Historical Society. People are going to subscribe to whatever makes them happy. Like someone said, I also like to hold my books in my hands while I read them and I am constantly buying automotive books. I say "to each his own."

I think I first subscribed to Cars & Parts in the '70's. Menno Duerskson (I think that is mis-spelled) wrote very good brand specific articles in installments.

Eventually C&P became mostly advertising with little material on the older cars and quite expensive. I then became acquainted with Hemmings Classic Car, dropped C&P and subscribed to HCC.

This is my experience too, and Mr Duerksen's(sp) multi-part series were great. It seems maybe that became part of the problem, that the series and in depth articles were replaced by mostly one and two page photo stories. But, as I said, I think their content had improved since I stopped subscribing (in favor of Hemmings Classic Car, which we are lucky to have).

In the late 1970s/early 1980s I think C & P was one of the few old car magazines on the stand, one of the first I remember buying. Car Exchange (a favorite) was there, as was Car Collector, which I read for a number of years. But C & P had a good mix of in depth history, short photo features, columns, tech advice AND classified ads all in one package. I hate to see them go and wish good luck to longtime editor Bob Stevens. Todd C

Older C&P magazines make for great reading, Duerksen's "Frewheeling" "Ford Country" and several in depth histories in series fashion, I kept mine from '77 - '87 or so, but discarded a bunch after the format changes.

Hopefully Dennis Adler gets picked up somewhere, Car Collector is another one that is too bad to see go, although their issues seem isolated with the Fair Finance/Tim Durham stuff. Too bad, they had some good articles also. I personally like that Adler always looks at the whole story - the era, the people and other things besides stricly mechanics of a given auto subject.

Got to be a tough business, there seemed to be demand for "Pre War Auto Notes" but not enough to keep them afloat, although I subscribed I thought the price was a bit high, probably necessary to cover bills with no advertising.

Looking forward to the continued improvements in the "Antique Automobile" however, which have been phenominal in recent years. Good thing, because there seems to be less printed matter out there for those who are mainly interested in original (vs. modified) American cars.

Looking forward to the continued improvements in the "Antique Automobile" however, which have been phenominal in recent years. Good thing, because there seems to be less printed matter out there for those who are mainly interested in original (vs. modified) American cars.

Yes and yes on those two points. I have been subscribing to Skinned Knuckles sort of as a support to the latter. The price is just a little high and every article does not necessarily interest everybody. Plus, the main reason I re-upped was for the Matt Joseph editorials and he left immediately afterward. But despite that the content has improved and unlike, say, Auto Restorer magazine they do not do street rods. At all. I find that I am reading SK first among my magazines. And I was impressed that when I had a minor problem with my subscription I was contacted by editor Neil Maken personally. Pretty good service, Todd C

Two mags that are absolutely must reading for me are Antique Automobile and Horseless Carriage Gazette. We sort of rotate our other subscriptions depending on what we are working on but AA, HCG, Classic Car and one Packard Mag remain the core. Am I the only one who likes the timeliness of Old Cars Weekly but thinks it would be a much better publication if it was Old Cars BiWeekly?

Am I the only one who likes the timeliness of Old Cars Weekly but thinks it would be a much better publication if it was Old Cars BiWeekly?

I had never thought of that but you may have a point. Thinking it over, I would say that if they ever need to economize I would not mind having a bi-weekly magazine/paper at a lower price.

Guest tcuda340

I subscribe to both Mopar and Musclecar Enthusiast. In fact I just renewed both, you'd think they woulda let subscribers know what was up before they renewed. If you go on their website, they're still offering subscriptions to all the titles. It'll be a shame to see all the titles merged, it's one of mags I look forward to getting every month.

Guest Hinckley
Mr. Hinckley, from your special perspective, do you think the new magazine "Auto Enthusiast," which is to replace Cars and Parts, will be virtually the same as the former title? Or it could be even better. Some of us on this forum are hoping that it will continue to cover a wide range of antique cars without too much emphasis on the cars from its former specialty titles.

Special Interest Autos was a very good magazine, too. Only a few pages were in color, but substance beats style any day in my book. I subscribed to SIA for many years.

First, lets go with Jim. Mr. Hinckley makes me feel like the principle.

Now, as to the new format and my thoughts. I really don't know much more than anyone else. I received an email saying they were looking to blend elements of several magazines.

It is possible that they have learned from mistakes, will evaluate the success of Hemmings, will utilize the experitse of Brad Bowling and Bob Stevens, and create a masterpiece that captures the rapidly changing face of the vintage vehicle hobby. I don't expect that kind of miracle, especially in light of the current economic conditions.

The proposed attempt reminds me of the start and stop efforts to revitalize companies like Stutz during the 1920s and 1930s. Some great classics came from those endeavors but it was not enough to maintain viability.

I know the Resto Mod stuff was a turn off for most. I too prefer my vehicles stock. I also prefer they were manufactured before the attack on Pearl Harbor as I have a very difficult time seeing a car from the 1950s and 1960s as a classic. You can imagine how hard it is for me to see a minivan with historic plates.

Still, I find the blending of the old and new, such as updated master cylinders, fascinating even though it is not something I would probably do. I even strive to be interested in the latest automotive technologies. However, the blending of this information in one magazine may not have been a very good idea.

So, in my long winded way of answering, I suggest we wait and see.

Restorer32 and Poci1957 mentioned Old Cars Weekly. I subscribe to it and appreciate its content. The writers are genuine old-car fans and are really an asset to the hobby.

Two aspects of OCW could be improved. There are far fewer antique-car classified ads than there used to be, even in comparison with 5 years ago. And their new format is much smaller, though it has more pages than it used to. To me, the new format looks cheap--as a half-tabloid size, it has the feel of a small-town TV section that you take out of the Sunday paper. I hope they will continue to do well and improve.

OCW went smaller to take advantage of postal rates. New size took some getting used to but it works as well for me as any other mag now.

I've also noticed fewer ads in about all of them, except for mainstream cars. Afraid that may be a trend, driven by folks who regularly flip cars and whose love of old cars is strictly financial.

• 1 month later...

Well- got my first Amos Auto Enthusiast magazine today, and it lived up to my expectations.

A very small section on "other classics" and even then the featured cars were a Chevelle and a GTO. To their credit they did have a spread on Cord-bodied Graham Hollywood.

Rest of it is very predictable, with serious emphasis on new Mustang and Camaro. Would be interesting to know how much advertising revenue they're pulling in too, because there is a lot of it.

I'm willing to give anything benefit of doubt, but I'm going to have to see a lot more emphasis on older cars than new before I shell out for a renewal.

Got my first copy yesterday, while I appreciate the newer cars, my main interest is in pre-WW2 autos. The one article on the Hollywood was OK, but I agree with Glenn, I won't subscribe either unless there are more early car articles.

I do see how it will appeal to muscle car affectionados, as that is the bulk of the content. And gracious, the advertisments, there's a ton of it.......great for revenue, but there needs to be balanced content to put up with them.......

It's a slick looking magazine, but slick doesn't always mean better....

I like modern muscle and old muscle too for that matter, but there are any number of other magazines dedicated to the new Mustang/Camaro/Challenger/Corvette and nothing I can't see on the streets everyday.

I understand why it was done and wish them luck. I really hope they don't leave old car guys out in the cold.

Then again I get too many magazines anyway.

I received a complementary issue the other day as well. To be fair it is very hard to be all things to all people. I was hoping for a content mix simillar to "Car Collector" which I thought managed to do that better than most. This is too heavy on new stuff, and too light on detail on featured cars, IMO. I need more than "we like it because the top goes down" (chevelle) to keep my interest.

I think there are a lot of interesting new vehicles being made today but that area is pretty well covered already, and if it is going to make up a good portion of the magazine, you need to look beyond the "modern musclecars". I can see though, that these articles are coming from prior marque specific magazines. I would read an article on a new Camaro maybe once a year or so, but I think that will be the main content here. Could not care less about resto mods but I think there is an audience for that, but do they care about the articles traditionally in C&P?

I would agree with David that the Hollywood article was well done, but it seems lonely there... I wish them good luck on it but I think I am going to pass on this one.

Who is this "snowlee" and how is his message getting through? It's obviously spam and it's been in every post I've looked at tonight.

Anyway, I received a complimentary copy of Auto Enthusiast today, probably because I'm an old Cars & Parts subscriber - although it's been about 10 years. I looked through it but there wasn't much I was interested in. Just not my cup of tea.