Title and one letter wrong in Virginia

trimacar

Hi- I have a vehicle that I acquired, and the middle letter on the title is M, instead of the middle letter that's on the car, which is N. All other alphanumeric match. Obviously a typo.

Has anyone had experience with this sort of thing in Virginia? Will a pencil rubbing of the data plate suffice for the DMV, or is it more serious than that?

I'm sure everyone at the VA. DMV is in a good mood, with all the job cutting and such.

Thanks!

Guest Dean_H.

I have a similar problem with my CA title, one digit doesn't match. When I bought the car (29 Hupp) the title had all the correct numbers including VIN and engine number. The DMV lady wouldn't accept the signed off title because it had last been registered in 1950. CHP had to verify numbers and then the DMV lady herself even checked the VIN, she said engine numbers were no longer used. When I got the new title, the VIN number wasn't right, model year 1950 (???) and of course the engine number had been left off. After waiting in the long line at DMV... again. I thought we had the mess straightened out. But, to my dismay the the 2nd new title came with one digit off on the VIN again. :mad: They did get the year right on the 2nd go around. One of these days I'll go back and fight it out again.

Somewhat related: I recently applied for 2 replacement titles here in PA on vehicles that I discovered I somehow lost or misplaced the titles, one being under my ownership for 36 years (1972 vehicle) and the other 24 years (1986 Vehicle). With registrations in hand and with perfect timing at the uncrowded DMV, I walked out in 15 minutes with duplicate titles ($44 total). The clerk even filled out one of the vehicles paperwork while I did the other. Surprising fast and efficient the entire process.

Guest Gary Hearn

I have the same problem with the 1988 Hudson trailer I bought new. DMV made a mistake in one digit and I have never tried to fix it. Also, when I registered my 1961 Studebaker 1.5 ton grain truck, they noted it as a pickup on the title!

My last visit with DMV did not go well. I was first in line at 7:50 (they open at 8:00) and no one opened the door until 8:20. I was the first to receive my paper number but they served at least 10 people and I was still sitting there. I stood up and posed the question as to why I was the first one there at 7:50 and an hour later had still not been served. One of the DMV clerks responded they were short staffed but I was the next one called.

About that time a coworker walked in to register a brand new Porsche he had bought. He talked with me and then became the next customer. The fellow who had been number 2 in line went ballistic!

Since they now charge you to do anything that can be done on line I never go in. In fact, I have not even put the last 4 vehicles I have bought in my name.

Since they now charge you to do anything that can be done on line I never go in. In fact, I have not even put the last 4 vehicles I have bought in my name.

I've had excellent results with the DMV Select offices, at least the ones here in Northern VA. They are "DMV light" offices and can do pretty much any title or registration function. The new in-person transaction fee is waived if you use the DVM Select offices. Here's a list of locations:

Commonwealth of Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles

Edited by joe_padavano (see edit history)

Hey,

I just went through this mess here in Va. In my case, there were 3 digits that were transposed incorrectly. I found a gentleman who is retired from the Va. DMV and he can get it straightened out for you.

He now runs a title service for just this type of thing and he knows the right people to get in touch with. Give him a call, it'll cost you a few dollars but in the long run it will be worth it. I listed his info below

L&L Title Service

PO Box 655

Colonial Heights, Va

23834-0655

804 526-3338

Hi- thanks for all the replies, I'd heard about the satellite offices of the Va. DMV and that they might be easier to deal with...this is on a '67 Camaro convertible that I may end up selling, so trying to decide whether to do it myself or let the next guy fight the good fight (assuming he'd buy it like that). thanks..

David,

If you can use a pencil tracing and a digital photo, and get the VA DMV Select office to handle it, you are far better off than a possible problem when the next owner has to deal with a "Defective" Title. Legal implications aside, getting it handled will simplify your life down the road

In the past, Virginia would send out a state trooper to inspect the car. In the very old days some states, Maryland in particular, would put the year "sold new" on the title so if a 1940 was sold in November 1939 it said "sold new 1939". Then later they dropped off the "sold new" and the car became a 1939. A friend in Warsaw bought a 1940 Plymouth and the title said 39 Plymouth. The State Trooper came out and verified it. Also in the very old days Virginia used engine numbers. I bought a 1940 Pontiac in Warsaw that had an engine number and the engine was cracked. The serial number was down on the frame, as I recall under the radiator. I rubbed off the number when I changed the engine and had no problem with the DMV in Tappahannock. Years ago in 1963 when I bought my blue '39 Buick in Virginia with the engine number on the title, but I lived in Maryland. The Maryland DMV (World's worst) would not accept the title, so they gave me a little number plate like for a homemade car. I didn't know where the serial number was and there was a hole drilled in the firewall plate. In 1979 when I was fully restoring the car I found the serial number on the frame. Do you think Maryland DMV would change the title...no way. So, I wrote a letter to the Commissioner, with pictures of the serial number and engine number. He turned me over to his Deputy who had me come in and talk to him. He told the title department to change my title. Later, I bought a 66 Chrysler in Kilmarnock, VA and the owner had Alzhiemers. His wife had him put an X on the title and she signed it. Maryland refused to accept the signature, so I went back to Kilmarnock where the people in the DMV knew the man and the car and they gave me a Virginia title since I had a summer home there and at the time you could have two driver's licenses, and I had both a Maryland and Virginia driver's license. Dealing with the DMV is an experience you always find to be a misery. Here in Florida you have to take a car to the DMV so they can inspect the serial number in person, if the car comes in from out of state. Good Luck dealing with any DMV.

... Also in the very old days Virginia used engine numbers. I bought a 1940 Pontiac in Warsaw that had an engine number and the engine was cracked. The serial number was down on the frame, as I recall under the radiator. I rubbed off the number when I changed the engine and had no problem with the DMV in Tappahannock...

Funny you should mention this, because I have exactly this problem with a 1952 Chevy truck. The title uses the engine number, but I need to replace the engine. I'll try that.

Now THERE"S the idea I was looking for, Dave! In today's world, it'd probably be quicker and easier to have a new data plate made, rivet it in place, rather than deal with the DMV.

I had bought a set of new old stock 1937 license plates, planning to put them on my '37 Cord. I didn't realize what they were, they start with TH, which is a truck for hire plate. I went to the DMV, and as they looked it up, they started telling me they couldn't put these plates on a passenger car. In the midst of this, they realized that my gender in the computer was female. Huh?? So, to change this, one would think it's a simple keystroke. Nope. An hour and a half of standing at the window, they finally got it changed, and I told them for that inconvenience they HAD to put the plates on the car, and they did!

Numerous people who know old plates have wondered how I registered the car with those plates.

post-31482-143138207257_thumb.jpg

trimacar,

You have a problem now. It might be a pain, but it can be fixed. I hope you aer joking about changing the serial number plate on the car.

Please don't consider changing the car to match the title. You have no idea how much more trouble that will cause you.

Dave, glad you took my comment about changeing the letter for what was intended... humor.

As for types of plates, a young lady here has a '66 Mustang convertible that the Va. DMV allowed to register using Va. "Conv" plates. (and she's not a looker either) They are some weird commercial plates I think.

My most memorable DMV experience was when they "recalled" all Va. antique plates a year or so ago and made us re-register and add condition certrifications. I'd had antique plates on my Cord since about '68. Upon not receiving the same letter for the Cord as I got from them for my other cars, I inquired. I was informed that tag # 6637 belonged to someone else! Moreover, there was absolutely no record of my car at all, not even a trace of a title! I had the title and a tattered registration card and provided copies, but that only took care of the title part. They still insisted that I get new (much crummier) antique plates. Later, somehow, the unfairness of it all got to some (rare) kind heart at DMV Richmond, and I got a call telling me I could keep my (porcelain) plates after all.

Hope to make it to the Winchester show and will try to look you up. Dave

Hi- I'll be at the Winchester show, will have my '31 Pierce there, stop by and say hi. I'm the 59 year old guy who's heavyset and gray hair....oh, guess that describes a lot of us.

I had "conv" plates on a 66 Mustang too, they were some kind of business plate, "convertible" to private use, is what I was told, very strange.

I don't like changing numbers on cars for sure. The muscle car guys know about that, and particularly the Corvette people, I know on my '63 that's always the first question. Get a kick out of another thread looking for number stamps, but it appears that's for replicating an existing data plate.

Age 59 and Gray?

Wish I was only 59 and gray, but I've been 8 years older than you for as long as I can remember - at least 30 years or so

In Florida, the only issue is if you bring in a car from out of state then

1) can take to DMV to be verified

2) police officer can verify

3) a notary public can verify

of course then there is the $225 "new tag" tax..

• 1 year later...
Guest CoronetRTguy

Okay so I have found myself in this same position. I have a 70 Coronet R/T I just sold and I notice the number should be a 3 in the title and they have it as an 8.

What do I do I'm in VA?

The fender tag and vin numbers all match just the wrong number on the title. The guy that bought the car is a big time collector and restores cars for a living so he may know what to do and I'm may be stressing out over it and shouldnt be.

Thanks for the info the guy is coming back to pick car up Sunday.