1954 Buick Landau - Outcome

progoofoff

I am so happy that Mr. Earl (the greatest lover on the planet of 54 Buicks) and the great 54 Buick Landau Motorama car at last had a personal one on one encounter! The meeting of these two is surely a great Buick moment in history! I cannot wait for pictorial documentation. Charles-it was probably like the collision of two planets heard and felt around the universe!

No Bob, I didn't like it. I LOVED IT!!! And it was great spending time with you and talkin 54 and 55 Buicks.... and Honda bikes and scooters and 30's Buicks and 1/2 scale military jeeps and Buick story after Buick story. (folks this guy drug me through all his garages and showed me everything else BEFORE we got to the Landau LOL.) I will say that this was probably the greatest Buick experience I have ever had. Tops even my first driving my 13K Roadmaster Buttercup down the streets of Bayone, New York and the 100th Buick Birthday.

And yes gang I did take a couple of pictures and will post them up later. It was very difficult to get pictures of the new owner and the car though as he didn't want to appear to be a show off. But regrettably Centurion, my lovely Rita wasn't able to join us on the trip so no, no GOB pictures. Not this time anyway;) I tried to be good, kept my drool wiped up and feet cleaned of grass etc, so hopefully Bob will invite me back. Maybe I can talk a certain lil raven haired beauty to go with next time. How 'bout that Bob?

OK, I hear the dogs, the warden must be looking for me. Like I said though, pictures coming. :D

• 9 months later...

Awesome!!! I was afraid that was lost forever. Congrats on your successful search. I am sure it came at a price, but as you and I know, it is most definitely "priceless".

Thriller, if you find that March 1970 issue, be sure to check out the Classifieds. :):eek::cool:

(this should get a few diehard's digging back through their old Bugles)

David,

I`m moving slowly on it. I have talked with a local guy who is an artist at doing fiberglas. I`m taking him the hood next week then the body as soon as I change out the frame.

Roy,

The original note book came from the Bortz museum. Too long a story to tell here. There were actually three note books. Two were put together by previous owners, Delbert DeRees and Alvin Hamburger. DeRees had a title search done by the state of Michigan and I now have a list of all the previous owners.

Bob

• 1 month later...

What a beauty!!!

Nice work Bob, I am very thankful that the Lanadau found you as it's custodian.

First the thermos set was reunited and now a proper set of shoes!

Most importantly you are so generous with your time to bring it out for show, right where it belongs.

Where's that Buick Man award nomination sheet, I have a name to submit ;)

• 2 weeks later...
Correct wheels, finally

Summer schedule

Southeastern Spring Meet - Charlotte, NC April 7-10

NC Regional Spring Meet - Reidsville, NC - April 16

BCA - Danvers, MA ....Possibly

You'll be coming to Charlotte with the Landau? where will you be? I'd certainly like to see it while I'm there! :D

The AACA Southeastern Spring National Meet as part of Charlotte Autofair is located OUTSIDE of turn 2 of the speedway near the water tower on Saturday only. It is free to the public (well except parking). However the flea markets and inside the Speedway do have an entrance fee only the AACA meet is free.

Also the Buick GSCA has a small display of cars on Saturday on Pit Road towards turn 4 along the fence of the Cup Garage. On Sunday in the same location is the BCA display of cars.

The AACA Southeastern Spring National Meet as part of Charlotte Autofair is located OUTSIDE of turn 2 of the speedway near the water tower on Saturday only. It is free to the public (well except parking). However the flea markets and inside the Speedway do have an entrance fee only the AACA meet is free.

Alright, good deal. So the Landau will be in the AACA field?

Also the Buick GSCA has a small display of cars on Saturday on Pit Road towards turn 4 along the fence of the Cup Garage. On Sunday in the same location is the BCA display of cars.

I'll have to be sure to stop by there. Sadly, however, I can't stay until Sunday to hang with the BCA.. :( But I'm looking forward to the dinner on Friday night! :D

See you in Charlotte,

Now that we have the reproduction wheel covers, I do bet the originals for the Landau will show up. I have this feeling that I may find them at Pate. If ever I do see them, I will know them immediately. They will go straight to Bob Coker. Mr. Earl could we see a picture of the regular 1954 Buick jack to compare to that of the Landau, and can we see what a typical jack looks like for the 56 Buick? For the Motorama Gods to create a special set of wheel covers for the Landau is incredible enough not to mention coming up with a special jack as well! Charles D. Barnette

• 11 months later...

Again Bob has given me the privilege of attending another great car show and assisting him with showing of the '54 Landau, this time at one of the most prestigious of all shows, the Amelia Island Concourse d"Elegance. This is a show where it matters not really if you win an award, it is simply enough to have been invited. This show has been in my bucket list for awhile and honestly I went expecting a lot of snubby individuals characterized by excessive self-esteem and exaggerated dignity but honestly I didn't meet a single one. EVERYONE, including the car owners, spectators, concourse employees, the Ritz-Carlton staff were friendly and about as helpful and nice as could be. Rubbed elbows with a couple of TV stars and found them to be very unsophisticated and fun to talk to also. Even met a couple of forum members from here I've been wanting to meet for a long time.

The Landau was in L Class, (Landaulet) and there was indeed some tough competition. But she held her own during the show and from what I observed drew more attention from the crowd than the Queen Elizabeth Rolls Royce and 36 Duesenburg to her side and the three others in the L class.

Enough babble....... THANK YOU ROBERT E!!!!!!!

(to get the full effect of the images, click the bar above it and then even magnify that)

100_3000.jpg

Amelia6.jpg

100_2780.jpg

100_2781.jpg

100_2782.jpg

100_2799.jpg

100_2796.jpg

Edited by MrEarl (see edit history)

As Lamar has said, just to be invited to exhibit at this show, Pebble Beach and a few others is reward enough. And also, car people are car people. You see a very few that are a bit "over the top", but I have met a lot of wonderful people at car events, and most all are super-friendly.

Good work, Bob. And that is a tough class with a lot of quality coachbuilding and restoration.