Roger's handcrafted 1:12 scale models

To Don: yes paint can create issues. When the parts are created, for example the hood's doors, to get a good look, the play between hood and door should be 0.1 mm (0.004") With paint on both parts, no more movement will be possible! I'm doing a 0.2mm play (0.008") and will be careful with paint thickness!

The rolled edges are indeed necessary as I'm using a 0.2mm thick brass. Without those edges, they could not be flat. I asked Johan, the man who restored the V-16 frame and engine, plus a '32 V-8 car; he said that the doors are individually opened/closed. Indeed, on the detailled pictures I have from him, there is no provision for a link or connector.

To Pat: sorry if my adventures in brass (and other materials) is stealing your time! On the other side, those who really appreciate the details or the "how to do" are the minority. At one time, I published my adventures in a French forum, now inactive. I had the same observation: lot of views and few who asked questions, and usually all the time the same persons. The difference between my answers to that forum and here: in my native language, I can explain way better than in English! Those questions and comments are indeed the reason why I do continue to show what I'm doing in my small room! 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Your call Roger, but maybe try a bi-lingual effort?

There are a few here who can read French.  -I know deux Argentinos who learned English by learning the songs of the Beatles!

Since we know the context of your labors, perhaps you can teach us some French?

I've always enjoyed reading thru this now longish thread. I've long followed the Gerald Wingrove work (and had his books). So far I see about page 1-54 devoted to opening topic, the Continental, then 5 pages on an Olds Tornado, a further 5 on the Avanti, and now a Cadillac. At 94 pages and still going, might I suggest a separate thread for the Cadillac? I suspect the Moderators could divide it out from the rest with a suitable heading and short introductory note. Alternatively, could the topic title at least be changed to include "and an Olds Tornado pg 55, Studebaker Avanti pg60 and Cadillac V16 pg 65. Thanks.

Edited by Gunsmoke (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

Well, thanks for the suggestion. I will have to check, but when I began with the Toronado, the consensus was to continue with the same thread. At that period, I had no intention to do another model...until I saw that I was missing a good occupation. I will think about the changes.

• Like 1

From another modeler's perspective, I understand the desire to make a Continental MkII  thread, and then an Avanti thread, and then a Toronado thread, but isn't this better? 

It is natural to ask "What else has this man in Switzerland done?" -and very convenient to find it all, semi-chronologically in the same place? The same thread?

I find it fascinating!  I too have gone back and forth reading and pouring over the posted pictures. While Roger was in the midst of creating his Continental Mark II, I started to make notebooks, running ahead and pondering problems he hadn't yet confronted!  -I have four notebooks of his work and my research!

This "thread" is unique! A step-by-step master class display of "Old World Craftsmanship!"

I know I am new here, and I drive a '97 Tacoma, but I love the same cars as you, and I appreciate the skills and craftsmanship as you, and I vote to leave this thread as you've found it. 

Edited by Mr. Don (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I agree with the comments to leave it all together... but I agree that changing the title to mention the different cars, and the corresponding page numbers for each car would be welcome.  This would be especially useful to new readers who would have no idea, based on the title, that the post also contains fabulous documentation of an Olds Tornado, an Avanti, and the current Cadillac.  Folks that may not have much interest in a Continental MkII, but would love any of the other cars would never know they're contianed in the thread.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I really love having the time to enjoy this terrific thread- I get to see a jeweler- grade modeler at work, the fantastic products of his endeavor, a place to share thoughts with all of you and a good excuse to lollygag around here, doing nothing (until my wife notices me lagging). What more can a fellow hope for? 

Roger, I'd ask even more, but I don't want to keep you from your creation, or getting all the rest we need to fit in, so's we can do the 'fun' stuff we read about here. Every post is a gift. Thanks. 

As to the naming of the thread, or separating them, I am so accustomed to it this way that I'd go on to page 999 without a complaint. Just as long as I can keep my bookmarks working. Tada fellows. What'll Roger do next?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The idea to make the hood’s doors operative is opening a can of worms. Even if my test’s door was successful, I’m not sure if all doors will open or close flawlessly.

After doing the doors and the flanges, I had to do the hinges: the ones soldered at the doors and the other ones attached to the hood. For both types, I had to create tools to have some uniformity among the parts.

This is what can be seen on the first picture, together with two corners on which the hood’s hinges will be soldered. The profile from a male hinge is on the next picture; without tools to shape the parts, no one would be looking the same as the next.

As I finally got the 0.3mm brass, I did also the first firewall, the one which contributes to the structure of the body. On those cars (V-8, V-12 and V-16), there is a second firewall installed ahead from the first one. This was a method to isolate the passenger cell from heat and noise as well as having a clean surface to be seen when the hood was open.

607 Small parts.JPG

608 hinge profile.JPG

609 Firewall.JPG

• Like 8

Today, I received the piano hinge from Micro-Mark; I will not use it. The outside hinge diameter is 2 mm; the maximum I can "accept" is 1 mm or less.

Don, the tubes you could get from the other store are also too large, the smaller one is also 2 mm. A supplier in Germany has what I need; I will buy one or two tubes and silver solder a proper tube's length on a base. That assembly, once reworked, will be soft soldered on the hood's sides and upper panels.

I'm still unsure about how the hinges from the upper panels are functioning. It seems there is one piece inside another one; will ask either Alex D. or Johan for how this is done on original cars.

Each ventilation door from the hood has a garnish molding acting also has a handle to open the door (each door is to open or close individually).

I had a whole afternoon to imagine how I could do those tiny chromed parts. Then, how to attach them on the doors? To glue them is a no-go. I could also solder them on the doors and have the assembly plated; it was an option to have chromed doors, but I don’t especially like it. Original parts are attached with two nuts; as I’m afraid that the part is too narrow at the front for a screw, I decided for a silver soldered pin which will also help to attach the parts to the tree for plating. One screw will be used at the rear of the part(s) as it’s wider. Bolts with a diameter of 0.5 mm will be used.

To have some uniformity among the parts, I will do each needed operation on all parts at once and then go to the next task. As all operations will be manually done, there will be differences, but I hope they will be minor enough that they will not be noticed.

I’m attaching a picture from the original handle plus my prototype which will not be used unless I can drill the needed holes at the exact same position.

Volet.jpg

610 molding.JPG

• Like 12

Yes, they are, not too much because of the "large" screw. The original parts are, according to the pictures, more concave. All is done with filing because nothing is parallel, to my dismay! I though to do something similar to the wheel cover's vanes from the Mark II; they were easier to do. Just the quantity was not fun...

• Like 1

The name Cadillac is giving for those tiny parts: “Windbreak, hood panel ventilator port”. 15 pieces are in work now; in case something goes bad with one, a spare is always welcome! The location pins are silver soldered, the threaded hole for the “bolt” is already done. As you can imagine, the hole is not very deep, about 0.8 mm or 0.03” for a screw diameter 0.5 mm (0.02”).

What you see now is the side profile; the square element at the right is to maintain the part(s) in the vice for the next steps. It will be cut in due time.

611 moldings in work.JPG

• Like 6

Roger,

Be cautioned about changing this thread.  If you decide to "isolate" the Cadillac thread from the original, the previous threads may be eliminated from the viewing public.  This happend with another subject on the Forum that I was following.  It would be a major disaster to lose the previous 10+ years of your wonderful builds.  Didn't you have an issue with this in the past after you finished the Continental?

Those of us who have been your loyal followers don't mind having the Cadillac "dovetailed" onto the Continental thread.  We are all aware of the previous builds and can go back in time to refrence any or all of the previous builds without any difficulty in finding them.  "If it aint broke, don't try to fix it".

Back to the build;  Not seeing an early 30's Cadillac V 16 since the last La Jolla Motorcar Classic a couple of seasons ago, I will have to look in my photo archives to see how the firewall looked.  Was most of the wiring and plumbing hidden behind the outer firewall? I am sure that there was a lot of engineering and planing to that element of the Cadillac.  I wonder if other marks of the day did the double fireweall?   I am sure that fellow members can answer that question. 

• Like 1

Maybe if the title was changed to Roger's amazing 1:12 scale models or Roger's handcrafted 1:12 scale models. Just throwing something out there. It's up to Roger if he wants to change it or leave well enough alone. He is the master behind all of these creations and it's been an incredible journey to watch all of them unfold. Totally amazing craftsmanship no matter what model it is.

• Like 2

@ Randy: There is just isolation material between both firewalls. All electrical are inside the car. With the hood open, there is just a black flat surface to be seen. On the V-12 and V-16, both air cleaners are attached to the firewall which is just a stamped steel plate.

@ Martin: Your sugestion is interesting! I cannot modify the title myself; I contacted West Peterson two days ago; maybe he will come with a suggestion. I don't intend to split the thread.

• Like 3

Martin, I asked West to modify the title with one of your suggestions: 

Roger's handcrafted 1:12 scale models

Probably I will loose some followers because they will not see the originasl title anymore, but who cares?

• Like 2

• West Peterson changed the title to Roger's handcrafted 1:12 scale models

You shouldn't loose any followers, all the models you've built are still there from the start and will still generate interest with the new title. I know me and several others will be still following along. I'm always looking forward to your progress and all the incredible detail in your work that you do.

• Like 4

I hope everybody is comfortable with the new title!

The 15 windbreaks are more or less ready: I still have to file the sides to have a concave surface. As those parts were not good for the eyes, I will do something else in between.

612 windsplits.JPG

• Like 9

speaking of eyes, Roger- how much of your work is done using optical aids? as I have grown older, it seems more and more is only accomplished using something. I can barely read a micrometer using regular reading glasses. stronger ones on the shopping list. but, you must use your eyesight on small items for long periods, necessitating more than reading glasses, right?

by the way, I notice that the new title header shows on the pages, but my bookmark still reads the old title. I think I might leave it that way, for old time's sake.

• Like 1

The the thread title might be... Roger's Incredible Shrinking Machine.  Or Roger's Giant Quarter. ;)  Doesn't matter what the name of the thread is, the work is incredible!!  This is one of my favorite threads on the site.  It is simple incredible to see what you can accomplish and serves as a constant reminder that anything is possible.

Edited by Luv2Wrench (see edit history)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

@ Pat: Most of the time, I'm just using regular reading glasses. However, for most of the operations done on the windbreaks, I had to use also a magnifying glass usually used by watchmaker. 

@ Jeff: I don't really like exagerated titles (which are usual in your country!); I prefer factual statement. 

Thanks to both for your comments!

• Like 5

Hello Roger!  -it is nice to see the support that this community has shown a humble craftsman. Well-deserved of course!

• Like 1

For the moment, the windsplits are unfinished as I wanted to do something larger: the hood’s sides. I cut two brass pieces, somewhat larger as the finished parts because that can only be done when the radiator grille and cowl are ready. It will take some time to get that…

After making a flange at the top from both pieces, I began the holes for the ventilator doors. The positive die I used for the flanges is the right tool to get the proper dimension of the holes.

I had the ides to make a guide of wood to locate the flange for soldering; if the first flange was correctly soldered, the next flanges will use an aluminum guide because the high temperature was not necessarily good for the wood!

Now I can do the holes on the second hood’s side…

613 hood side.JPG

• Like 9

The RH hood side panel is more or less ready. I still have to ad the pivot point for the spring at each aperture. When these details will be added, I will be ready to make the door’s installation.

For the moment, I have to bring the LH hood side in the same shape.

614 hood side panel.JPG

• Like 10

Hello Roger, I hope you are well. Early this year I had a cold I couldn't shake off, and since then my day job has been keeping me very busy! You might remember my efforts to document the Alfa Romeo 2300 engine? I had started to make a pattern in 1/4th scale, of course, that had started as a reaction to how poorly the engine was made as a model in the Pocher kits. -Well, there has been a newer 1/12th scale model offered up, and I purchased one of those. This newer model has its own issues and in a disappointing way, it is more correct in some respects, and just as wrong in others! 

Long story short, looking at what needs to be corrected, and in 1/12th scale, has renewed my appreciation for your work! Just getting the crankcase the right shape and dimensions seems to be beyond the model manufacturers abilities. -And some of these details are iconic to this engine.

Again, back to you, bravo! I love looking over your shoulder and I do appreciate your efforts!

YBFLB, Don

• Thanks 1