39BuickEight

1939 Buick Special restoration

Well, the water pump issue seems to have been fixed now with the rebuilt one from Flying Dutchman.  I pulled it out in the sun today, but I never left the driveway because now I have little to no brake pedal.  It was fine last time I pulled it out.  No brake fluid showing itself anywhere....

FEB453DF-0BE9-4F59-A60F-3810DEC075FC.jpeg

5C1122A2-C087-445E-A002-5784B36730AD.jpeg

• Like 3

Benefits of AACA Membership.

When i took my `41 248 engine down, when removing the water pump all three mounting bolts(B) twisted off flush with the head. Also the two lower bolts had lock washers, the upper left bolt(the long one) had a copper washer on it, this bolt will leak coolant with a lock washer.

I checked the master cylinder, and it needed fluid.  Worked fine a month ago when we did the taillights.  I guess sitting during restoration made it disappear???  I can’t explain it since there has never been, and still isn’t an obvious leak.  Filled it back and seems good now.  I was hoping to not have to bleed them, and I think I am ok.  Has a good pedal now.  

The owners manual does say check the brake fluid every 1000 miles.  

• Like 1

Put 3 miles on it in the neighborhood.  Shifted all the gears.  Nothing out of line.  It had never been over 5 mph.  I might just have to call the sheriff and make it road legal now. 😀

F1D5E157-4D4C-4213-9FA0-AB33EC0C74AC.jpeg

2CA54CC4-3991-4F15-98DC-62E2F891026D.jpeg

BE7B938B-C92A-4F5C-8C58-82BCCC32E0D0.jpeg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, 39BuickEight said:

Put 3 miles on it in the neighborhood.  Shifted all the gears.  Nothing out of line.  It had never been over 5 mph.  I might just have to call the sheriff and make it road legal now. 😀

Congratulations of your first long drive ☺️

Time to make it legal a for drive up the hills to the homstead.

Post 1 of this thread was Dec 3 2009.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, 1939_Buick said:

Congratulations of your first long drive ☺️

Time to make it legal a for drive up the hills to the homstead.

Post 1 of this thread was Dec 3 2009.

Thanks!  Slow and steady wins the race.  One car every 10 years is plenty for me to handle.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 39BuickEight said:

I don't know who that grumpy guy at the wheel is, but the expressions on the faces of your passengers tells the whole story. 😄 Congratulations!

44 minutes ago, neil morse said:

I don't know who that grumpy guy at the wheel is, but the expressions on the faces of your passengers tells the whole story. 😄 Congratulations!

Ha!  Studying the gauges.  Making sure everything was as expected.  

• Like 1

Great news! The tortoise wins again. Bob H

• Like 1

'Tis a thing of beauty Billy. 👍

• Thanks 1

Looks like I have a rear wheel cylinder leaking.  That would explain the disappearance of the brake fluid.  It left a spot this morning, and when I looked I could see something has been leaking on the tire, so slowly it never left a mark on the ground until now—just left run lines all around the inside of the tire.  

Also, does anyone have a copy of a chassis lubrication chart?  My owners manual specifically says it’s in the back of the book, but it’s not.  

Here you go.

image.thumb.png.130bc2a3fcbca7d47e743fded3fc67d6.png

send me your e-mail address by PM and I will send you the PDF of this that is larger and easier to see.

John V.