1939 Buick Special restoration

39BuickEight

Matt, thanks for the information, but I have tried it all.  I have linked to specific pages and everything, and for some reason that image always pops up in my signature.  I copied and pasted the link on the page right now below.  Same car is there...

It is clear that the photo is the photo from post number 3 on page 1, but I have no idea how the forum software selected it. Sorry I don't have any idea how to change it. 

Maybe delete the signature completely. Then go back a day later and add a new signature.

This software does at times seem to have issues with links.

• 1 month later...

With all your meticulous prep work, this should turn out to be a super fine paint job!  Can't wait to see it!

Good Luck in the booth!

Gary

• Like 1

On 9/8/2017 at 4:59 PM, 39BuickEight said:

Hey Danny, it will be sequoia cream with red wheels.  Hopefully it will be painted in the next year or so.  Still lots of little things to do before we tear it back down for that.  Danny, good to see you again.  Long time no see.

Sequoia Cream was only authentic on convertible cars in 1939.  Red wheels were a mid-year introduction in 1939.  I think they offered red wheels in '38 and '40, but it was an afterthought in 1939. 

Edited by Dynaflash8 (see edit history)

44 minutes ago, Dynaflash8 said:

Sequoia Cream was only authentic on convertible cars in 1939.  Red wheels were a mid-year introduction in 1939.  I think they offered red wheels in '38 and '40, but it was an afterthought in 1939. 

You have told me your thoughts on this several times before.  Thanks for telling me again.  It's year correct, shown in advertising this way, and my car is not in any way valuable, so I think it will be just fine.  I like the color.  Here is it on a car just like mine in the Saturday Evening Post.

sequoiacreamad.JPG

Edited by 39BuickEight (see edit history)
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Gary, I found this painter by asking my best main local body shop who they would recommend.  Working as a multi-line insurance adjuster, I know just about every shop in central KY.  This guy worked there painting from the time he was 16 and opened his own shop a few years ago.  He was tired of painting for someone else.  Now he does it for himself.  He is still only 25.  I asked other shops that he never worked at if they heard of him.  The typical response was "oh yeah, I know Chris.  He is really good.  He will do a great job."   He picks up his work and delivers it back, doesn't ask for a dime of his incredibly reasonable price until he is done, and several local people told me he was the man to do it.  Other than finish paint, rebuilding the engine, and resurfacing the cylinder head, my father, brother and I have done everything else to the car.

Edited by 39BuickEight (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Dad was able to come see the car today.  It’s the first he has seen it since it was painted.  He is not well, and I am hoping to get it together for him to see since, without him, this would not have even been remotely possible.  I can’t explain how much it means to me that my painter was able to do what he did in such a short time frame.  Hopefully the rest of the panels will be done in a month or so.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎8‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 4:58 AM, 39BuickEight said:

It really shines under the LED shop lights.

CF03106A-12C0-41EE-B598-FB9685745D15.jpeg

2F61B124-AE9F-446A-947D-B459D33C5522.jpeg

Hi Billy,

Am a big fan of cream colours on this body style. Yours is looking real good. Cant wait to see it with doors and fenders in matching colours. 

Dante Red wheels and a pinstripe could be an option too, even if they were not correct for '39!

Rodney :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The Buick is really coming together nicely! I think I recall you had holes for fender mount lights to use as front turn signals. Mine had motorcycle style front turn signals some previous owner installed. I removed them and added hidden arrow style LED lights behind the grille, so I have front signals, but no one sees them unless they're in use. A happy period incorrect solution for me! 

IMG_1358.JPG

IMG_1364.JPG

IMG_1172.JPG

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 10/2/2018 at 9:50 PM, BuickBob49 said:

39 Special, a nice solution for front turn signals.  What is your source for the LED arrows?  I have a similar dilemma with my 39 Roadmaster.  I'd like to get rid of the motorcycle indicators.  I don't want to drill holes in my front fenders.

I'll send you a message with the info, so we don't hijack this thread.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I used double backed tape to hold the welt in place while I measured and cut the releasing cuts.  Makes fender installation much much easier

Paint looks great!!

5a251c73ef005_ScreenShot2017-12-04at4_58_53AM.thumb.png.c986c67e294f688ee2e5fbeb8130ba67.png.431e77bd8a6033c05046a705ef93cb59.png.81b2807e8022f83235b4413e752d1c45.png

Edited by Gary W (see edit history)
  • Like 2

It's just great watching how every part added back on makes her look more and more complete by the hour!

Wish I was there!  Really looks sharp!  Keep up the great work

Gary

• Like 1