The 'value' of our collections

Guest abh3usn

Guest abh3usn

I’ve seen more than one post wanting to know the ‘value’ of cars, parts, memorabilia exc. The red flag goes up when I see single didget posts next to the user name. To me, many collectibles are ‘valuable’ because of what they represent, i.e., a specific time period or innovations they ushered in exc. Those who are only concerned with monetary value have lost the point of why we collect. If we were into this hobby for the money, we’d all in trouble. What do you think ?

The money you put in a car is a non subject,Every one has a car you love ,buy it restore it and do not keep records,when my dad was here ,we put over 20 grand in it,but we had fun.Dad did not see many ,but 1st place ,any where .Thats what is about ,fun, not money.Shop Rat is right ,if you have a chance,get a younger person involved.If you get in this for cash ,sorry,hobby lets play

Guest Gary Hearn

In addition to my dozen or so antique cars and trucks, I also have 10 antique tractors (down from 25 a few years ago), 5 horse drawn Studebaker wagons/buggies and a multitude of antique farm items.

This is a picture of my antique Turner peanut combine that I use every fall to strip the peanuts from the vines. I also have a Frick threshing machine that I also use yearly.

sara_vbs008.jpg?t=1257213629

This is a picture of some of my Studebaker STP collection:

STPcans002.jpg?t=1257213928

I have been collecting stuff since I was a kid. My wife does not understand it and wishes it was gone (and probably me with it). She constantly harps on how she will be saddled with my junk when I die.

Edited by Gary Hearn (see edit history)

My wife never really had a problem with my "collection of collections" as I so fondly call it, but she is even more understanding about it since I have had to liquidate some of my items. I tell her what I paid for an item or that I picked it out of a junk pile and then she sees what it brings me. She may be worried a little about getting stuck with it all, but she knows also that it has value. She says, "There are hunters and gatherers...you are a gatherer".

Some who have come here looking for help don't know what they have found or what it might be worth to someone. They need help because they are not in the hobby. They found it while cleaning out the home/garage/out building of some relative or friend. Or they got stuck having to liquidate an estate and they have no idea of the value of vehicles or parts. And with stories in the papers and the news about some long missing piece of art or wildly valuable knick-knack they want to find out before they part with it.

Our neighbor that died about five years ago was a hoarder of sorts. There is a 30's era Ford in the garage that hasn't run in the twenty-six years we have lived here. Several cars, trucks and boats sitting in the yard. And he told Bill that years ago he bought out the parts department of a Ford dealership when it closed. All of that stuff is still somewhere.

You can take this to the bank, his two sons are going to need help when it comes time to deal with all that when their mom either has to move out of the house or dies.

A good old friend of mine was selling some old gas pumps several years ago to another friend. The buyer asked "What are they worth?" The seller answered, " Why they aint worth nothing! But if you want them, you'll pay for them!" I stood on the side lines and was LOL..... :D Yep, even usless stuff has value. Of course the buyer bought them all. :) Dandy Dave!

I have been collecting stuff since I was a kid. My wife does not understand it and wishes it was gone (and probably me with it). She constantly harps on how she will be saddled with my junk when I die.

Gary - This make me feel badly for you. For her to feel like your passions are a burden to her, that is sad. I feel for you! I really do. I'm blessed with a GF who loves cars but more importantly loves me and because of that she at least tries to see my point of view as I do with her. We both found out we actually like many things that we may never have tried before.

My collection is worth everything to me, it saved my life! After my head-on wreck a year and a half ago I was left without any income, the guy who hit me (his fault) did not have insurance and I didn't have enough uninsured motorist coverage (Please check yours!). So I now also have over $60k in medical bills to pay and another surgery to endure all at my own cost. Because it was a car wreck, my medical insurance will not cover it.

Several of my Amphi friends donated money to me when I needed them the most. I can never adequately thank them for what they have done for me.

On the other hand, I have sold a couple cars since then to keep my head above water (good thing with an Amphicar!) While in the hospital I purchased another Amphicar from my hospital bed. A man in Mn was loosing his home and needed $ fast. I paid him twice his asking price and sold it for 3x what I paid. Everyone was happy. He saved his home, the friend who picked it up for me got a new TH-400 trans for free from the guy because he was so happy I didn't screw him even though I could have and I made money on the deal and now I'm restoring that car for a local guy. Everybody is HAPPY!

So because of my collection, friends and reputation, I am able to pay the bills. My collection brought me closer to other people who love Amphicars which in turn added many friends to my life and they saved me when I needed them the most. In spite of my protests, they insisted on extending a helping hand. I only hope one day I can be there for them when they need me. So I have to reiterate, my collection saved my life! I hope that maybe one day when I'm gone, whomever gets it all, will enjoy it or sell and at least turn it into something that they can wrap thier arms around.

Edited by Steve Moskowitz
Comments not allowed by forum rules (see edit history)

I agree that the value is in the love of the collection, but also think that we should keep our loved ones in the know regarding the actual cash value of a collection. I know that what I've collected will end up being sold after I'm gone and I'd want my wife to get a fair offer rather than be blinded by some opportunistic a** with a good line of BS. There have been many instances locally where a loved one has lied to his spouse about the true value only to die and their familly sell off their loved cars for less than a fair value.

Guest 41_packard

I understand totally what you all are saying about enjoying your collection, whether its cars or whatever. BUT, one must be smart about it and try not to go too crazy so some day a $ value could be recouped if necessary. I have never lost money on an antuque car, probably because I've kept them long enough to benefit from appreciation over the years. I'm also very careful not to over-restore (don't do concourse shows). My cars are "drivers" so its much easier to not get in too deep when you "accept" a little pitting on your chrome, etc........

Guest Gary Hearn

I have compiled a list of my largest items (cars, trucks, tractors, farm equipment, horse drawn vehicles, trailers, etc.) that includes purchase price, approximate amount spent since purchase as well as the expected market value. It also contains names and numbers of people who are knowledgeable on the items and can assist with disposition.

Even though I am a classic car dealer and auction company, which during my day job, it has to be about money and values. I am, always have been and always will be a hobbyist first. I have cars in my own collection that will never be for sale. It is a runaway hobby that put me in the crazy business I am in. And, it is comforting to know that after 39 years of working in this hobby/industry as my career, hobby and passion, I know that the money is meaningless and if I was not doing this as my career, I'd be putting out money to do it as my hobby only. I have said for years, "If I worked this hard at doing anything I hated for the past 39 years, I'd be a rich guy by now." But, instead I am one of the most blessed guys I know. I get to do my hobby everyday. My career and hobby has been a passion and priviledge. AACA has been part of every day of it.

The value of your collector car is just about how much money you has spent on the car and parts.

The blood, sweat and tears are of no value to the new owner so don't ask for it when you are selling.

As a wise man once said " you don't get paid for watching TV"

The value is a mute point,if one likes it ,own it and no more .We have got cars we bought while dad was here ,priceless,never sell them ,its fun,time consuming,and love it

Well said old car fan!

Regards,

Peter J.

Guest mystarcollectorcar.com

I have to go to auctions as part of our hobby coverage but I have zero respect for the guys that buy and sell these cars like cabbage futures-they have no soul for the hobby and hopefully the cars they treat like numbers on a page end up in good, long term hands.

I buy things because they bring me pleasure, not because I can make a profit on them.

I feel sorry for anybody that has a wife that berates their spouse's collections or hobbies. My father buys jewelry, furs, goes to concerts and the theater, and takes his wife on expensive vacations. Yet she has a big fit if he wants to go to a car show and refuses to go.

Years ago I was dating a woman and it started to get serious. She walked around my house and pointed at various rare and expensive antiques and said, this has to go, that has to go, that is hideous, that has to go, etc.

I said actually there is only one thing I need to get rid of and then everything else will be fine.

"And what is that?" she asked.

"You" I said.

Cars and collections can be sold for cash if you get tired of them. A wife you have to pay to get rid of.

We just moved 10-40 foot containers so my wife would never have to deal with the California Condors

She grew up in her family's museum. I been collecting since age ten. She will never have to sell anything now unless she wishes too

I don't know what life would be like without the hunt and discovery Or without my loving wife.

This is one room of four 10,000 ft all together

Guys please plan for you wife and kids..... I have seen too many with an impossible job in addition dealing with the loss of YOU.

post-54359-143138130674_thumb.jpg

post-54359-143138130676_thumb.jpg

Years ago I was dating a woman and it started to get serious. She walked around my house and pointed at various rare and expensive antiques and said, this has to go, that has to go, that is hideous, that has to go, etc.

I said actually there is only one thing I need to get rid of and then everything else will be fine.

"And what is that?" she asked.

"You" I said.

Cars and collections can be sold for cash if you get tired of them. A wife you have to pay to get rid of.

Pointing out the obvious here, but did you ever dodge the bullet when that relationship ended.

People on this site are clearly on the same page-these cars are priceless for many reasons.They are not commodities.

Just 2 weeks ago a local junkyard got a 1951 Plymouth sedan. The car was in good shape, had very little rust, new upholstery good wide whitewall tires and they drove it on and off the car hauler.

I have seen worse ones for sale for $2500. I know the junkyard bought it for $80 a ton because that is all they will pay for any car.

The junkyard will NOT sell a complete car under any circumstances. Besides by now it has been pretty well picked clean.

Now what in the world was the seller thinking? I can only assume they were not old car people and did not know the car was valuable. To them it was just another old junker.

This is why I try to reply to all the 'what is it worth' questions if I can. It is no sin to be ignorant about old car values. Why not help someone out, and perhaps save a valuable car, part, or piece of memorabilia from being scrapped or thrown in the dump?

I'm sure all of you have similar stories to tell, of cars and other things that were tragically lost and destroyed.

"As a wise man once said " you don't get paid for watching TV"

Some people do. Dave Barry mentioned a colleague who works for the same newspaper, as a TV critic and automotive journalist. In other words he watches TV and drives new cars for a living. Dave commented "heaven is going to be a let down for some people".

Just 2 weeks ago a local junkyard got a 1951 Plymouth sedan. The car was in good shape, had very little rust, new upholstery good wide whitewall tires and they drove it on and off the car hauler.

I have seen worse ones for sale for $2500. I know the junkyard bought it for $80 a ton because that is all they will pay for any car.

The junkyard will NOT sell a complete car under any circumstances. Besides by now it has been pretty well picked clean.

Now what in the world was the seller thinking? I can only assume they were not old car people and did not know the car was valuable. To them it was just another old junker.

This is why I try to reply to all the 'what is it worth' questions if I can. It is no sin to be ignorant about old car values. Why not help someone out, and perhaps save a valuable car, part, or piece of memorabilia from being scrapped or thrown in the dump?

I'm sure all of you have similar stories to tell, of cars and other things that were tragically lost and destroyed.

Yes-too many stories.One old boy had a mint 59 Dodge 4 door sedan that he'd kept until his dying day.

After that, the car was sold for scrap and baled-not even used for parts.

This was about 2 years ago and it was a car that a lot of guys know about, but could never buy from this old guy.

I'm moving these 3 cars to a better storage site and to the casual observer they don't look like much-but I know enough about restoration projects to see the potential.

But what are they worth right now? A cold blooded guy might say pay me about 50 bucks to haul them away but they are all destined a future healing line.The 4 door ht is first-I'm giving it to my nephew.

By the way,I know that's worst case scenario storage and I should know better but they've survived pretty well there-it's fairly dry and not bad drainage.

But the grass is a killer so the new spot works a lot better.

post-64732-143138131647_thumb.jpg

post-64732-143138131649_thumb.jpg