Classic Car Insurance Horror Story

MarkV

Ok, I went in to try and get the Seville on my AAA classic car policy, just to find out that THEY WONT TAKE IT! not because of condition, but, only because they will only take 3 cadys from 1970-1989, 2 being limos and large sized and the third being the Alante! I was treated so rudly, and they said they use NADA to value the cars, which overinflates the values. They told me that they turned down a 1946 Dodge because it had a scratch on the hood!!! And they said that now they only accept perfect cars which go to shows! I said, have you ever heard of the survivor class? I was treated so badly, I am launching an official complaint with them, and this was rom the manager! Then the manager went out to take pics. o the car, after they said it wasnt on the list. And guess what? She took a pic. of the bubble on the hood! ! ! Then complained about the plastic insert (all of which went bad 5 years after the car was made). She said I should have fixed it before I brought it up! It is fine, just a little worn. Then I asked to see the list of cars they do accept from 1970-1989. Among those luminaries, were the LUV pickup, Ford LTD, and Cordoba!!! They said that they had a 160% loss ratio and now they have more stringent guidelines. And to top it all off, they asked, where I keep all these cars, and I told them, 2 at my grandma's, 3 at my mom's, 1 at my mother's mom's, and 1 at my dads. They told me that is not allowed! And that I need to have all of them on my property! I said, I dont own a property! And they snickered at me! I then asked about collectors who store their cars, and they had no answer! There is more, but, it is to long to put here..... What do you guys think?

Easy answer...

Grundy, J.C. Taylor, or Hagerty... all of these specialize in antique cars. I am sure that there are probably a few others that I do not know about or have forgotten.

As has been posted here many times before, if you want decent insurance coverage on a collector car at a reasonable price with good customer service, you have to go to an insurance company that specializes in collector cars.

They aren't worth the effort to complain to! They are obviously NOT car folks and should not be in charge of protecting your car. You wouldn't take your child to the Veterinarian so don't insure you special interest cars with anyone not involved in the car hobby. Use the corect tool for the job.

I use Hagerty and have has SUPER customer service (that is rarer than a rust free Amphicar!). They have gone out of their way for me and always treated me like I was their best customer.

Guest DeSoto Frank

Have heard good reports on Grundy, Haggerty; I've used J.C. Taylor for the last 20 years, and have been very happy with them; very easy to deal with.

"Regular" insurers such as State Farm, Allstate, etc. would rather not deal with antique cars, and very picky about which ones they will insure, etc.

You'e better-off going with a firm that specializes in Antique / Special interest autos.

Not sure what CA insurance laws may be, but if they're as weird as some of the other regs out there, well...

You have a couple strikes here Wes- one is your age, one is that you drive the cars more often than insurers like (zero risk and all that other unrealistic tschadin), and as Wolk says specialty insurers almost always require storage in a locked garage.

However- if this company is already underwriting all your other cars, find another insurer, then cancel coverage with your existing insurer and tell the office manager exactly why you are doing it. Have your family do the same. Any businessman knows that seeing long-time customers go away angry is not good for business or his company's image. Word-of-mouth is very effective advertising, whether positive or negative.

Though I have to admit I laughed that they'll insure a LUV pickup but not a Seville. Guess they know a damaged LUV won't cost 'em much in claims, unlike a damaged classy Seville...

BTW, didn't GM styling do a nice job camouflaging the Seville's Nova origins? Maybe you should tell the insurer it's a Nova in disguise?

If they are this much of a problem to deal with already, what do you think they will be like if you have a claim?

That is exactly what I was thinking as I was reading all this....

The rule is this:

Please a customer and he tells a friend...p- him off and he tells 10!

Sadly some companies don't get this concept but Insurance is a crazy game of risk balance and they just don't like it to actually BALANCE! No they want as little risk for as much money possible which is understandable...but you have free choice and with six cars lots of clout. My bet your business will be highly sought after elsewhere.

MY brother gave me my SHO, he had it with others cars insured by Grundy for several years. I try to have them insure it for me and are told unless i can justify a value of at min 15k they wont insure it. this was after hagerty which insures my other 6 cars basicly told me the same thing. its obvious that the under writing rules are changing.

I think you're running up against minimum-policy policy. The premium on a $15,000 policy is $90 @ $6.00 per $1,000 agreed value. With all the paperwork generated by an insurance policy I can't see how they could be profitable on a lower premium.

Guest Bluesky636
I think you're running up against minimum-policy policy. The premium on a $15,000 policy is $90 @ $6.00 per $1,000 agreed value. With all the paperwork generated by an insurance policy I can't see how they could be profitable on a lower premium.

When I first bought my car I insured it with Hagerty for $7500.00. No problems. Now it is insured with them for $20K. I don't know if they have changed their rules or not. I do know that there are some cars they don't insure but their website is very clear on that.

Grundy insures my Model A Ford for the appraised value. I have also added additional collector cars (and a pick up truck) for an agreed value of $5,000 each from time to time. Every time I have added a vehicle, I have called them up, asked to insure the vehicle for $5,000 and they covered them. They simply needed a photo of the vehicle emailed to them. I currently have three vehicles insured with Grundy. I am happy with them. I have also heard good things about J.C. Taylor and Hagerty.

Geez, sometime I'm annoyed because the subject in a post doesn't say anything relating to the post i.e. "I need help". In this case, it blown way out of proportion. It's not a horror story. A insurance horror story is when you have an accident, and the insurance company won't do what is right i.e. only approve a Maaco paint job.

Just go find another old car insurance company. I've had no problem with Hagerty's and I started with them with a $12K car, 11 years ago, But policies do change so shop around.

Going to find another classic car insurance company would be great if they would take me! Grundy, Haggerty, etc. will not accept anyone who has been driving less than 10 years. They find it hard to believe that a 21 year old can have such cars. AAA has always been good to me in the past when I had 1 incident and their customer service is usually very good. IDK what this time was. And no it was not because the car is worth x amount. On their list of cars they had which cars they would even look at, the Seville was not one of them, yet the LUV pickup is! All of my cars on the current policy are covered under agreed values, anything from 5-15000. The funny thing is, that they insured the MKV with 8 grand of insurance, yet my 41 dodge only has 6!

When I bought my Franklin, I tried to insure it with JC Taylor, because that's the company my father has used since 1958. They would not take me because I was 26 years old at the time and was only licensed for 9 years.

Hagerty had no problem with that, and I now have three cars with them. I can't say enough good things about Hagerty.

Guest DuaneK

Hagerty woould not insure my 37 Dodge. Reason rwo drivers and only one car. Found insurer that waves the rule for retired couples.

DuaneK

I had a 1924 Model T Ford back in the mid 1980's. The insurance at that time was $32 dollars a year, and the insurance was J.C. Taylor. I was in my 20's then, and I don't remember there being an age limit. When I went to insure my 1915 Buick, I called J.C.Taylor and was told by the lady that I was speaking with that I could not get insurance without a title, or registration. In this State, NY, You need the insurance first before you can get a transferable registration for a car built before 1972. Everything after that has a Title. I should have taken her name and complained to managment. I know she would have gotten chewed out for giving out misinformation. Unfortunetly I did not take down her name, and J.C. Taylor loss my business because of her loud, rude, know it all mouth. I called Grundy World Wide and recieved my cards in a few days. I guess things have changed quite a bit in the insurance world. If anyone else gets that rude lady, I suggest you get her name and report her to managment so J.C. Taylor can can her (Beep). :D Dandy Dave!

Wes's insurer may not consider Sevilles "collectible", but Collectible Automobile sure had a spread on the Hooper-backed Sevilles recently. 75-79 versions to me would be eminently more "collectible" than the slant-backs.

Then again a California-based insurer may consider a Seville to be a "common" car due to sheer numbers sold there; they certainly weren't in most places.

Guest Bluesky636

Like I said, the only way to find out is to ask. Hagerty refused to insure a friends mid-70s Olds Cutlass (?) 4-door that belonged to his parents and was like new.

Hm. ACI has never given me any grief over insuring any of my stuff, even the 1976 Regency sedan. 'Course I gave them documentation it was 1st week's production and the 808th car off the Linden NJ 88/98 assembly line, plus it has every 1976 option offered except moonroof and ACRS. Reasonably significant in other words. It is still the earliest build 1976 Oldsmobile currently registered in the country.

Likewise the original incarnation of Seville was significant because it was a dramatic break from past Cadillac size, engineering and philosophy. That alone should qualify it for collector insurance IMHO, if it's demonstrated that a collector owns it and it's maintained as a collector car.

Yup. If a LUV truck and a Pacer qualify as collectible, then a 70s Seville is collectible.

My wife has been with State Farm 46 years since she was 18. Nine years ago we had a truck and 2 modern cars. The agent had no problems adding a 1931 Hupmobile restored driver. They required photos of front, back, & sides allowing me to establish the value of $15,000 with a $100 yearly premium. I have added an unrestored 40 ford and 53 willys with the same experience. A car valued at $7,500 carries a premium of about $75 yearly. Just a tip, they have a joining fee so ask for the premium for the 2nd year. Dec 2008, my wife totaled a 28,000 mile 2006 Buick on black ice and State Farm said the car was worth 2,000 more than a replacement at our local Chevy dealer. We have been happy over the years.

Guest Bluesky636
My wife has been with State Farm 46 years since she was 18. Nine years ago we had a truck and 2 modern cars. The agent had no problems adding a 1931 Hupmobile restored driver. They required photos of front, back, & sides allowing me to establish the value of $15,000 with a $100 yearly premium. I have added an unrestored 40 ford and 53 willys with the same experience. A car valued at $7,500 carries a premium of about $75 yearly. Just a tip, they have a joining fee so ask for the premium for the 2nd year. Dec 2008, my wife totaled a 28,000 mile 2006 Buick on black ice and State Farm said the car was worth 2,000 more than a replacement at our local Chevy dealer. We have been happy over the years.

Is your car value "agreed value" or "stated value"?

Agreed value: Insure car for $15K. Total car two years later, you get $15K. No depreciation.

Stated value: Insure car for $15K. Total car two years later, you get $5K due to depreciation.

Very important distinction.

What the heck is a "joining fee"?

The statement about the totaled 06 Buick is puzzling. Please explain what you mean.

Guest Bluesky636
It also depends on your limits I have 100/300000 coverage with 100,000 uninsured motorist

Not sure what this is in response to or what point you are trying to make.

Guest Bluesky636
Well, the other guy said that state farm only charged 100 a year, which is either a # from years ago or for 15/30 insurance

It would help if people quoted the post they are responding to unless their response immediately follows the other post. :)

state Farm doesnt sell agreed upon value coverage.

Guest Bluesky636
state Farm doesnt sell agreed upon value coverage.

That was my understanding also. I asked on the previous page if coverage was "agreed" value or "stated" value. Haven't gotten an answer. If "stated" value the owner's will be in for quite a shock if anything ever happens to their vehicles.

I agree with the bulk of the folks here that your company isn't worth the trouble. I have 60 cars insured with Grundy with excellent results, including claims. Haggerty and J.C. Taylor are also great. Your cars should all be insurable with a company like Grundy.

Wes's problem will be finding a collector insurer that will underwrite him at age 21.

I remember waiting to turn 25 so my rates would finally go down. The year I turned 25, my (nameless, but on your side) insurance company upped their young unmarried male limit to age 30.

Needless to say I went shopping and got more coverage for less money. This after the family had had insurance with that company and that particular agent since 1947.

Edited by rocketraider (see edit history)