Avanti R2, 1963, refresh

and yesterday we put on the new towing mirrors on the Suburban.  This will be such an improvement when pulling the big trailers.  Not a hard job, maybe a couple of hours.  had to pull off the door panels to run the wire for lights, motors, and heat.  Really nice units.  Excellent quality, fit and finish.  

P1070335.JPG

P1070336.JPG

P1070334.JPG

Sunday, PM, July 10th.  Went to the shop this morning with Camaro Steve.  We just had to check on Barney, the F100 pickup.  Daniel is making good progress.  The engine is placed with its new oil pan that fits over the steering rack, the new wiring is installed in the cab, and the gauges wired, but not installed, the steering column is in and connected to the steering rack, and the brakes have been plumbed.  Daniel is making new engine mounts and then the engine transmission can be permanently installed.  Steve is hopeful that he will have a running truck by the end of the months, I am thinking, mid-August.  Just lots of little stuff to either make, buy and install.  Here are pics I took.  Notice the condition of the old wiring.  All new now.

P1070349.JPG

P1070345.JPG

P1070344.JPG

P1070348.JPG

P1070347.JPG

P1070346.JPG

P1070343.JPG

P1070342.JPG

P1070341.JPG

P1070340.JPG

Guest PaulSigmund

I tried to find the post where you mentioned purchasing the mirrors and failed.

Where did you purchase these?

Paul, I got them off of Ebay from a California seller.  I am very happy with them.  Quality as good as OEM.  Cost was $220 including free shipping.  Here is the Ebay link to the seller' store information.  http://www.ebay.com/usr/jdminnovation?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2754  Lots of truck mirrors on Ebay to choose from.

They are much larger than the stock mirrors, but now I can see everything around me and down the side of the truck too.  They are heated, powered adjustment, manual extension when towing, and were plug and play except for the led courtesy lights on the side of the mirror.  And it was really easy to take off the door panel, plug in the new mirror assembly and run a new wire to the courtesy light on the bottom of the door.  

And in parking around town in a tight space I can push the mirrors closer to the door so they do not stick out as much.  

It is Thursday, July 14th, and we have a Barney, the F100 Ford truck.  Daniel has fabricated the new motor mounts and now the engine and transmission are in their permanent position and all bolted in.  The driveshaft has to be shortened by three inches.  It is going out tomorrow for a rebuild.  All the wiring is almost done with the instrument cluster ready to go back in.  The suspension is now all done.  Over the next few days the engine will be dressed out and ready for its first firing.  Steve is really looking forward to that day.  Here are a couple of pics.  Oh, Peg is Steve's wife, Barney will be her truck.  

IMG_0213.JPG

IMG_0214.JPG

IMG_0215.JPG

IMG_0216.JPG

It is Saturday, July 16th.  Headed to a cars and coffee event this morning with Camaro Steve and Corvette Wayne.  Some nice and original cars for a change.  We have had company for a week so I did not do any work on the old cars.  Next week I have to get the 1923 McLaughlin Buick ready for the big Buick show in Allentown, PA.  This will be a Wednesday to Saturday event.  Thankfully, no judging so I do not have to clean as much as I usually do. 

Pics of the C&C of this morning.

P1070355.JPG

P1070356.JPG

P1070357.JPG

P1070358.JPG

P1070359.JPG

P1070360.JPG

P1070361.JPG

P1070362.JPG

P1070363.JPG

P1070364.JPG

P1070366.JPG

P1070367.JPG

P1070368.JPG

P1070371.JPG

P1070372.JPG

P1070373.JPG

P1070374.JPG

P1070375.JPG

P1070376.JPG

P1070378.JPG

P1070379.JPG

P1070380.JPG

P1070369.JPG

P1070370.JPG

P1070377.JPG

Sunday, July 17th, PM.  Camaro Steve called this afternoon.  He worked a few hours on Barney, the F100.  He did a lot of cleaning and spot painting.  Danial worked along side him, and they were able to make the final steering connections, worked on the wiring, and installed the new Holly carb.  Here are the pics he sent me.

IMG_0223.JPG

IMG_0225.JPG

IMG_0224.JPG

It is Wednesday, July 20th.  I am getting the 1923 McLaughlin Buick ready for the Buick show in Allentown, PA next week.  Have the tires looking good, both sides and now will clean the exterior today.  

Greg has a Stoddard Dayton progress report for us.  Not his, but a friend's.  Thought I would pass it on as some nice pics.

"Stoddard- Daytons Rule!

Friend John Nance in San Diego showing  progress.....

Makes me want to give mine a hug.

Sent: Tuesday, July 19, 2016 8:07 PM
To: Greg Cone; Temple Baldwin
Subject: Stoddard Dayton 10K-42 Update

Greg and Temple,

Spent the whole day cleaning off plating flash to be able to have the pins, bearings, rocker supports and rockers to fit each other. Photos are of a trial fit and assembly after replating. I know that a lot of people like Pope Hartford engines like my brother but there is something about a Stoddard engine that is special that the Pope does not have. Greg, you are probably wondering about the exhaust manifold of my engine being that it looks a 1911 and later engine. I thought the same when my father and I went and got the car back in 1967. Dad said "John don't worry and he said Stoddard Dayton West did some research on this car and it was the test bed for the 1911 type engine that was coming out for 1911. Temple said he will give me a letter of authenticity to this effect. This will make 10K-42 a very rare car.

John"

image.jpeg

zpfile000.jpg

zpfile001.jpg

• Like 1

It is Friday, July 22nd.  Finished at last, the 1923 McLaughlin Buick is all cleaned up and ready for her trip to Allentown, PA for the big Buick show next week.

And Camaro Steve wrote me that Barney, the F100 Ford Pickup, is slowly being put back together.  Here is what has been done over the past couple of days.  The engine is almost complete and heating hoses have been made and attached, only new power steering hoses need to be purchased and installed.  The battery has been relocated from the firewall back into its original place in the cab floor.  All the gauges have been rewired and installed, but some wiring cleanup needs to be done and final connections to the fuse box made.  The instrument cluster now has turn signal indicators.  The weekend the front fenders will be fitted and installed.  Then she will look whole again.  Here are the pics that Steve sent me.  

15.jpg

bat.jpg

engine.jpg

gauge.jpg

Edited by unimogjohn (see edit history)

Still Friday.  Daniel, the fabricator/mechanic working on Barney, the F100 pickup sent us a progress report.  He had to make something up to connect the tranny to the new GM shift column.

"Got the shifter figured out. Found 5/16 swivel rod end's , had to make ends , for trans and steering column ,made out of stainless , see pic , had the stainless tubing around too.In the pic the shifter is in drive , with the shifter in low , the brake pedal almost hit's , when it's pushed down, goes by the shifter tubing . Works great , very factory like feel . I did spray the weld with clear , it would have rusted. Pic was taken from under truck , shows the brake arm issue.

Thanks Daniel"

shifte00r.jpg

shifter11.jpg

Saturday, July 23rd.  The 23 McLaughlin Buick is ready to load into the trailer for its trip to Allentown, PA next Wednesday.  Looking forward to the show and seeing everyone.  

This morning I took the Avanti to cars and coffee.  Not many cars there this morning.  Just too hot and humid I guess.  About a dozen cars were there.  Of note was a 1946 Packard with 4,000 miles on the clock.  All original, except for tires and a battery.  Paint look pretty good also.  Owner said that it was a Florida car.  A nice 1960 Corvette was there also.  And a 1967 Camaro drag car arrived too.  Shook the ground, what an awesome sound.  Must be a bear to drive around town.

I am still having major problems with the Avanti.  I had to run most of the way to the event in second gear.  Everything is OK until I hit about 50 mph.  Then the tranny downshifts into second and will not go back into third until I slow down to 30 mph.  Also it is puking engine oil all over from a leak somewhere on the front of the engine.  So I took the back roads home and did not exceed 45.  Everything was perfect, go figure.  I have it back on the lift and am going to start pulling parts over the next few days to see if I can locate the leak.  Enough is enough.  Going to ask the Stude folks about the transmission issue.  

P1070386.JPG

P1070387.JPG

P1070389.JPG

P1070393.JPG

P1070395.JPG

P1070394.JPG

P1070396.JPG

P1070397.JPG

P1070391.JPG

P1070392.JPG

P1070398.JPG

P1070390.JPG

Still Saturday, 100 degrees, so hot it feels like you could catch fire in the sun.  Monday it is suppose to be about 111 degrees.  

Greg just stopped by and picked up the transmission jack.  He said that he has to pull the transmission out of the maroon Avanti.  Blew up a clutch.  Only been a year or so since it has been on the road.  A little early for it to be needing a new clutch, etc.  He said that he would give us a report.

Monday, July 25th, AM.  Going to be the hottest day of the year, over 100 degrees and with the humidity it is suppose to feel like 115 degrees.  You cannot be in the sun for long.  So this morning, while it was still under 90 degrees, I put down the top of the 1923 MB (with Aice's  help as it takes two people), and drove her on to the trailer.  All strapped down now and ready for Wednesday's trip to PA.  It will only take us about four hours of drive time to get there so will leave home about 9:30 AM.  We have  to go and pick up our registration and then park the trailer.  I hope to be at the hotel about 5ish so we can relax and have a nice dinner.

On Thursday we plan to go to the Simeone museum http://www.simeonemuseum.org/ and then will probably head back to the show event to have a look around.  On Friday we will spend the day at the event going thru the vendor area, look at some of the cars, and visit the on-site Bulgari Museum.  May bring the 23 over and put it in its place for the show.  Going to be over 700 cars trying to get in on Saturday morning so just may want to avoid the hassle and place it on Friday.  We have special dinners on Friday and Saturday night with all the car folks, should be fun.

And then on Sunday we pick up the car and trailer, and head for home.  Short trip, but should be really fun.

Pics of the 23 ready to go.

P1070401.JPG

P1070402.JPG

P1070399.JPG

P1070400.JPG

John:

Looks like it may cool down a bit by the weekend.  But one argument for parking the car on Saturday rather than Friday is the threat of thunder storms on Friday.  But maybe you have a tarp to cover the car up?  Have a safe trip.

allentown weather.JPG

Chris, How is that Avanti of yours? Any updates?

Joe, I have a nice waterproof cover for it.  The 23 should be fine.  In a way I hope we will get some rain.  It was 115 degrees with the humidity corrected temperature, The outside temp was 106.  Hot.

Talked to Camaro Steve re Barney, the F100 truck.  On Sunday, they fitted the the front fenders and inner liners.  They had to do some cutting of the inner liners to make them fit around the new suspension components.  Daniel is making up the power steering hoses and will rewire the lights and ignition.  Steve and Daniel think that it will be a driving truck again in about a week and a half.  Here is hoping.  Daniel also has to make the patch where the floor shifter was, and a new battery cover.  They also cut three inches out of the driveshaft.  Dan will weld it back on the new front shaft that goes into the new transmission.  

Tuesday morning, July 26th.  Another hot one expected today.  Have tool and such to load this morning for the trip to Allentown.  Other than a few odds and ends we are ready to go.

But Greg and his maroon Avanti are going no where.  But he has found the problem with the clutch.  Here is his report.

Sent: Tuesday, July 26, 2016 12:06 AM

Subject: Saturday night update.

Hadn't planned on this.    Although I know that the four speed Avantis have a weak clutch linkage,   and they are prone to fail only when in traffic,   they sometimes do.

That means either a call for a tow,  or some creative driving technique for a car that you can't stop without pulling it out of gear.   If you do,  that means putting the car in first gear and waiting for your opportunity to go by turning on the ignition key and getting on with it.   You also plan your route to avoid stopping again (right turn on red traffic lights,  orbiting parking areas until the road is clear ,  etc.  Once you are on a highway,  shifting between gears  is a matter of vehicle speed vs.  engine speed.  The maroon car did it to me a couple years ago,  and that led me to beef up the linkage.    Did it again last week.      

Getting it upon the lift ramps was a snap.   Mounted a Harbor Freight winch  and towed it on.     When we troubleshot the clutch linkage,  found nothing wrong.   That led to a trip to the Feser Tool Rental Depot to borrow his transmission jack.   

Now that the trans is down and out:  Good news and bad news.

The good news is that with the transmission out,  I can see a problem.

The bad news (actually not that bad now that the trans is out) is that one of the pressure plate actuating fingers is  out of place.     

We now know to pull the clutch and fix the problem.

Monday night:    This morning I ordered a new pressure plate, disc and throwout bearing.     All these items had been renewed when I put the car back into service.  I'd have to scan Unimog's  blog to date when,  but I'd guess ten years ago (plus or minus) and maybe ten thousand miles.   With the trans out,  now's the time.

Tonight I snagged a bottle jack at Harbor Freight to use to support the rear of the engine when the the bell housing and such are removed to free the clutch.

Steve,

Don't you remember  the Saturdays when you'd bring the old '57 over to my house,  we'd pull it up with two wheels on the sidewalk....slide underneath to drop your transmission.   Install a NAPA second gear assembly ,  paint the trans cherry red and put it back.    Then you'd knock it out the next day at Mason-Dixon drag strip, but only on the trophy run.   You'd limp around all week until you got paid and we'd do it all again.           All the while eating cheeseburgers with greasy fingerprints on the buns.      Didn't need no stinkin' lift either.

57-Chevy-Greg-Steve.jpg

zzzzzzinkki930.jpg

John - my Avanti is holding pretty steady the last couple of times I took it out. I was having a bit of a problem in June where it was stalling out on me at low idle - wouldn't hold an even idle whilst sitting at a light, etc. I would have to keep my foot on the brake and accelerator a little to keep the RPM's up. I started mulling over in my mind how much it was going to cost to take it to the Avanti mechanics who did a stellar job on it when it was brought back to life four years (!) ago. But happy news - the problem seems to have corrected itself (I love problems like that). The old girl is back running like the champ she is!

I drove it 75 miles last time I took a drive a couple of weeks ago. It's been just too darn hot most of this month though. Makes for a miserable drive. The pic below is right after I took her by the house and washed all the storage dust off - she draws a lot of looks and thumbs up.

100_2118.JPG

Chris, glad to see you and the Avanti are still motoring down the road.  Keep us updated from time to time.

It is Wednesday, PM, July 27th.  At the hotel.  We made it to Allentown, PA.  Got a later start due to the fact that we were twenty miles down the road when Alice asked if I had the cel phone.  Nope.  So we had to head back home to get it.  That mistake cost us about an hour.  But we made it to the registration point at about 3 PM.  Lots of people coming and going.  It was so loud with all the people talking that we had trouble understanding what was being said.  But we got our credentials and headed off to the parking lot to drop off the trailer and head to the hotel.  

Lots of Buicks coming and going onto the show field.  Here are a couple of pics.  Tomorrow we are heading into the race car museum in Philly.  It will take about a couple of hours to get there, about 80 miles away.  And the traffic is terrible.  Truck ran great, got just over 11 mpg for the 400 mile trip.  Our plan is to take the 23 onto the show field on Friday morning and leave it until Saturday PM.  

P1070403.JPG

P1070404.JPG

P1070405.JPG

P1070406.JPG

P1070407.JPG

Thursday, PM, July 28th.  We spent the day going about 200 miles R/T into the Simeone Museum.  What a great place with lots of unrestored cars.  We even got a tour of their shop where the cars are maintained.  I took about 100 pictures and will put them up on my pic site at some point.  But here are a few.

Going to get the 23 onto the show field tomorrow and spend the day on the show grounds and visiting the Bulgari Museum.  Tonight we are going to get hit with a huge storm and 1 to 2 inches of rain.  Glad the 23 is in the trailer.

P1070495.JPG

P1070492.JPG

P1070488.JPG

P1070487.JPG

P1070486.JPG

P1070481.JPG

P1070475.JPG

P1070472.JPG

P1070462.JPG

P1070459.JPG

P1070460.JPG

P1070440.JPG

P1070439.JPG

P1070437.JPG

P1070436.JPG

P1070434.JPG

P1070432.JPG

P1070431.JPG

P1070429.JPG

P1070428.JPG

P1070427.JPG

P1070426.JPG

P1070424.JPG

P1070423.JPG

P1070421.JPG

P1070420.JPG

P1070418.JPG

P1070416.JPG

P1070414.JPG

P1070413.JPG

P1070410.JPG

P1070408.JPG

It is Friday, PM, July 29th.  Wow!  The Bulgari complex is something.  We toured three buildings packed with restored and unrestored cars; a fabrication, body and paint building; a maintenance building with row of lifts; and an upholstery shop.  He has it all.  I took pictures of lots of stuff for your enjoyment.

We got to the parking area by about 9:30 AM and unloaded the 1923 McLaughlin Buick.  She fired right up and we ambled along for about a mile to the event.  We got our parking assignment with a few other 20s cars.  Had a great time talking to everyone.  Then we went on a tour to see all of the Bulgari cars and equipment.  He had lots of employees there to answer everyone's questions.  He really has some very nice cars.  In one building he had a huge white painted room with rotating platform.  They said it is where cars are photographed, digitized, etc; inside and out for submission to the Smithsonian Museum.  The Buick Y Job was being done when we were there, and the Buick Bug was going to be next.  

The Buick show is being run very well, with lot of volunteers handling everything.  Great meet so far.  Tomorrow we all need to be on the field by 8 AM as the public will start coming in at 9 AM.  Rained in the morning, but nice the rest of the day.  Hope the rain holds off until the end of the show, which is 3 PM tomorrow.   We have a dinner to go to tomorrow at 6 with all the attendees; and then we head home Sunday morning.

I am also posting a few of the cars on the show field as well as some design study cars by Buick.  Boy, do they look nice.  The future looks bright for Buick if they build them.  

P1070505.JPG

P1070506.JPG

P1070507.JPG

P1070511.JPG

P1070512.JPG

P1070513.JPG

P1070515.JPG

P1070516.JPG

P1070517.JPG

P1070518.JPG

P1070519.JPG

P1070520.JPG

P1070521.JPG

P1070522.JPG

P1070525.JPG

P1070526.JPG

P1070527.JPG

P1070528.JPG

P1070529.JPG

P1070531.JPG

P1070532.JPG

P1070533.JPG

P1070536.JPG

P1070537.JPG

P1070538.JPG

P1070539.JPG

P1070540.JPG

P1070541.JPG

P1070542.JPG

P1070543.JPG

P1070544.JPG

P1070545.JPG

P1070546.JPG

P1070547.JPG

P1070548.JPG

P1070549.JPG

P1070550.JPG

P1070551.JPG

P1070553.JPG

P1070555.JPG

P1070557.JPG

P1070559.JPG

P1070560.JPG

P1070565.JPG

P1070566.JPG

P1070567.JPG

P1070570.JPG

P1070572.JPG

P1070576.JPG

12 hours ago, SeventhSon said:

I couldn't figure out what this Bulgari site was all about so I did an internet search. I thought John had all the fun, but the guy who has really hit the life lottery is written about in this story about the Bulgari site:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/12/automobiles/rough-gems-brought-to-a-fine-polish.html?_r=1

Lucky guy.

Lucky indeed!  What an opportunity!  Nicola Bulgari sounds like a pretty cool, down to earth guy; he should consider putting on a show like Jay Leno's Garage. :)

Saturday, July 30th.  And then the sky opened up and it poured buckets, but we saw it coming and headed for the trailer along with most of the field.  But we had a beautiful day until about 1:30 PM.  We arrived at before 8 AM so we had a long day to see all the cars and meet folks.  Heading to dinner tonight to share more stories and then head for home in the morning.

We had helicopters flying low overhead, drones buzzing about, the Buick Bug driving by, and an appearance my Mr Bulgari in the Buick Y Body.  He also seen wandering the 1920 field and talking to folks.  One crazy moment happened when one of the drones crashed into the drive-in screen and crashed to the ground.  No one was hurt and no damage to any car, but it sure captured the attention of the crowd.  There was a Chinese film crews interviewing folks and several groups of young people talking to owners about their cars.  

We had lots of people talking to us, and Alice invited many to get into the old Buick and sit a spell.  We even met some folks from Washington State who had two 1923 McLaughlin Buicks in their stable, both still original.  All in all we had just a great day.  The meet was well organized and run.  We could not be more happier with the event.

We got the 23 loaded and strapped down in the trailer before the big downpour happened so we just got a little sprinkle of rain on her.  Those leaving later got just drenched.  We left the trailer in the parking lot and will head to the dinner tonight.  Early tomorrow morning we will hitch up to the trailer and head for home.

Here are just some of the pics I took today.

P1070593.JPG

P1070597.JPG

P1070598.JPG

P1070583.JPG

P1070584.JPG

P1070581.JPG

P1070582.JPG

P1070576.JPG

P1070577.JPG

P1070587.JPG

P1070588.JPG

P1070591.JPG

P1070592.JPG

P1070594.JPG

P1070600.JPG

P1070601.JPG

P1070603.JPG

P1070607.JPG

P1070608.JPG

P1070609.JPG

P1070611.JPG

P1070612.JPG

P1070613.JPG

P1070615.JPG

P1070616.JPG

P1070617.JPG

P1070619.JPG

P1070618.JPG

P1070620.JPG

P1070623.JPG

P1070626.JPG

P1070628.JPG

P1070629.JPG

P1070630.JPG

P1070622.JPG

P1070624.JPG

P1070625.JPG

P1070627.JPG

P1070631.JPG

P1070637.JPG

P1070638.JPG

P1070639.JPG

P1070640.JPG

P1070641.JPG

P1070642.JPG

P1070643.JPG

P1070644.JPG

P1070645.JPG

P1070646.JPG

P1070647.JPG

P1070648.JPG

P1070649.JPG

P1070650.JPG

P1070653.JPG

P1070659.JPG

P1070661.JPG

P1070664.JPG

P1070665.JPG

P1070667.JPG

P1070669.JPG

P1070670.JPG

P1070671.JPG

P1070672.JPG

P1070673.JPG

P1070674.JPG

P1070675.JPG

P1070676.JPG

P1070677.JPG

P1070678.JPG

Still Sunday, just got back from the anniversary dinner.  The place was full with about 2,000 people.  What a great time.  Presentations were short and sweet.  Lasted about three hours.  Mr. Bulgari spoke and told of his involvement with the BCA and car collecting in general.  He introduced his crew that he brought over from Rome for the event.  Must have been at least a couple of dozen folks, and then he had more of his American crew there also.  Great time.

Heading home tomorrow morning.  And it is raining hard outside too.

P1070681.JPG

P1070682.JPG

P1070683.JPG

Sunday, July 31st, PM.  Well we made it home.  No problems, just zipped right along with just a little traffic.  Now to unpack.  Going to leave the 23 in the trailer for a few days while I work on the Avanti and the Trailblazer.

Speaking of working on cars, Camaro Steve wrote me that Barney, the Ford F100 pickup, is starting to look like a truck again.  The front of the truck is all back on.  And the power steering hoses are on as well as new heater hoses.  Steve figures that by next weekend he will be able to take Barney home.  Here is the latest pic.

IMG_0235.JPG

• Like 1

John:

Thanks for posting the photos. I watched you sneak around while we were doing the interview. We fought the good fight as I was set on driving it there. In the end we had fellow BCA member Pete Rambis trailer it. The rear carpet is still drying out, even though I had it covered with a canvas tarp. To bad you did not catch the drone crashing into the movie screen.

We put another 366 hot miles on the 1937 and it did great. Unfortunately I was not able to get away to meet people who were at my 37 Special. I believe we were all non stop answering questions on our 1920s cars.

Tuesday morning, August 3rd.

Yesterday I made an emergency repair to the auto transmission cooling line on the Trailblazer.  It was starting to leak badly.  In a few days I will replace the lines, but I need the truck running over the next few days for lots of farm work.  The rust on the other line looks bad in pics, but is really not.  Had to cover the repair in a heat resistant/protective shield as is very close to the CAT.

I also took a look at the Avanti to see if I could see the source of the engine oil leaking.  Nope, going to pressure was the front of the engine today and then run it to see if the leak will reappear. 

P1070684.JPG

P1070685.JPG

P1070687.JPG

P1070688.JPG

P1070686.JPG

Wednesday, August 3rd.  Just received a couple of pics of the 1953 Ford F100, Barney.  Daniel has fabricated a new transmission mount.  You can also see the newly installed gas tank and brake master cylinder.  And the new stance of Barney on the 2003 Ford Crown Vic suspension looks really good.

barney.jpg

ba11.jpg

barney11.jpg

Still Wednesday.  We have an Avanti repair report from Greg.  

"Been very busy lately,  lots on my plate that includes the maroon Avanti.   I'll bring you up to date on that one.

Got the transmission out (with the aid of your trans jack) ,  a quick trip to Harbor Freight (in Manassas) to pick up a small bottle jack.   That was to support the rear of the engine while I removed the crossmember, bell housing  then clutch assembly.

As I said before,  I've had more  unexplained mechanical failures  happen to me in this century than ever before.    My clutch problem seems to be something internal in the pressure plate.     I've never been inside one before (never needed to) but it appears that there are several cast iron shoes or levers and one of them broke (?!) rendering it inop.   It also scored the face of the low time throwout bearing.  These items are being replaced,  the like new clutch disc as well.

I can't help but wonder why the lever broke.  Certainly not from abuse,  I try to baby the car so that things like this don't happen.   As this new replacement  pressure plate is marked MADE IN KOREA,   I'm wondering if these new parts that come in a plain white box are all "offshore".

I machined an arbor to align the disc as the pressure plate was tightened,  the bellhousing is back in place,  crossmember and rear support,  too.   Tonight I've gotten the new throwout bearing in place,  bellhousing cover and starter snugged.  Biggest job yet is to get the trans back in position before hooking up all the linkages,  exhaust downpipe, driveshaft, etc."

So we're getting there.

GREG"

Thursday, August 4th.  Now that the Buick Nationals are over and thing are put away until Hershey, I decided I better start working on the Avanti to find out the source of the oil leaks on the front of the engine and develop a plan to fix them.  First thing was to pressure wash the front of the engine and suspension, both of which were dripping with oil.  Removed the radiator/engine shroud for better access.  Also found the fuel filter was partially plugged, a new, clear plastic one was installed.  These pics are before the pressure washing.  After pics will be done today when I get it on the lift.  Had to spend an hour cleaning the body as the pressure washing made a good mess of the body of the car.  

P1070689.JPG

P1070691.JPG

P1070692.JPG

P1070693.JPG

P1070694.JPG

P1070695.JPG

P1070690.JPG