Avanti R2, 1963, refresh

Thursday, PM on August 4th.  Spent some quality time on the Avanti this morning.  Put it up on the four post lift and let it run for about fifteen minutes.  I figured that it would be long enough for me to tell what was puking oil and ATF.  Found out that the fuel pump gasket is weeping and the control valve for the power steering is too.  There is also a massive leak coming from the rear of the oil pan, either the pan gasket itself or the crank shaft gasket.  I tightened up all the fittings on the control valve to see if that cures some of the weeping issues.  

I tighten up the two bolts to the fuel pump and will see tomorrow with a run test if it continues to leak.  If it continues I will remove the power steering pump and replace the gasket on the fuel pump.  I have a spare fuel pump so may replace the pump also.  I also have a rebuilt power steering pump that I will put on also.

I have ordered a oil pan and crankshaft gaskets; and a "sneaky pete" tool to r and r the crankshaft two piece gasket.  Looks like I have to disconnect the exhaust down tubes, starter, and maybe the steering arm to get the oil pan down.  Will have to dig out the manual on that one.  The gaskets should be here on Monday.  In the meantime I can do some of the other stuff over the next couple of days.

Pics of the fuel pump dripping and the wet power steering control valve.  

P1070696.JPG

P1070697.JPG

Chris, yes, the Studabaker transmission folks say I have to adjust the pressure regulator, which is internal to the transmission.  But there is an access port to get to it.  I have the pressure gauge to do the work, just have to study up on how to make the adjustment.  The regulator tells the transmission when to shift.  The controller for the regulator is a rod from the carb, called the bell crank.  It also has to be adjusted correctly.

But today, Friday, August 5th, I am chasing oil leaks.  With the car up on the four post lift I can raise it up while running and watching everything from bleow.  The fuel pump now appears to not leak, at least at idle.  But I did notice quite a bit of oil coming from on top of the engine.  Seems that a plate on top of the block is leaking.  I have no idea what it for, it is just a hole in the block.  The cover plate was on tight, so I decided that a new gasket was in order.  So I made a new one and put it on.  Will wait until tomorrow to start the engine to see if I can see any seepage.

The engine chrome valley plate also has a gasket, which has probably never been replaced.  I may pull the intake and replace it.  It does not look too difficult.  Will probably take a couple of hours.  I have gaskets for the timing cover, but it does not look like it is leaking.  So I may just leave it alone for now.  I don't think that the engine has ever been touched, with only 44,000 miles on it, I doubt that any work has been done on it since it has been born back in January of 1963.

Here are pics of the plate repair.

P1070701.JPG

P1070699.JPG

P1070698.JPG

P1070702.JPG

Edited by unimogjohn (see edit history)

Sunday, August 7th, AM.  Up early as we have to unload two tons of wood pellets from the trailer and move them to the back deck of the house for winter storage.  I use the little Kubota tractor and take 10 sacks at a time.  Will take us an hour or so.  Camaro Steve is coming over to help.

Speaking of Camaro Steve, he worked on Barney, the F100 Ford P/U yesterday.  He and Daniel got the engine running.  And the driveline is in too.  Only some little things to do now to have a driving machine.  The front brakes are giving them fits, would not bleed out.  They are going to get a new master cylinder to see if the old one is defective.

And yesterday we had a nice morning to off I went in the Jaguar to the little cars and coffee event.  Getting to know everyone now so it is fun to go too.  Some new cars showed up.  Here are some pics of the new iron.

P1070703.JPG

P1070704.JPG

P1070705.JPG

P1070706.JPG

P1070707.JPG

P1070708.JPG

P1070709.JPG

P1070710.JPG

P1070711.JPG

P1070718.JPG

P1070713.JPG

P1070714.JPG

P1070719.JPG

P1070721.JPG

P1070722.JPG

P1070723.JPG

P1070724.JPG

P1070720.JPG

Monday, August 8th.  Worked on the Avanti this morning.  Going to change spark plugs as I have a miss in the engine.  So I had to take off the air filter assembly to get to four of the plugs.  While there I decided to take off the fan and am going to paint it back to the factory color, orange.  Spent an hour or so cleaning and wire wheel removal of the old black paint.  Got it all cleaned up and put on a coat of primer.  Decided on the color of orange, it is a close match to the supercharger orange.

P1070725.JPG

P1070726.JPG

P1070728.JPG

P1070729.JPG

P1070730.JPG

P1070731.JPG

P1070732.JPG

P1070733.JPG

P1070734.JPG

Stil Monday.  Camaro Steve is still pressing ahead on his F100.  He worked with Daniel, the paid help, most of the day Sunday.  Here is what he got done.  He thinks that he may get it home at the end of the week.  The note is kinda cryptic, but you get the idea.

"yep, got front bumper on. wired rear tail lights and plate light. rear shock mounts are installed(welded in by Danny). steering column secured and connected, all worked but indicator light in dash, needs some tweeking. front supports under hood installed, firewall to front grill area. removed master cylinder, going to get new one. not bad for six hours of work."

And tonight I painted the Avanti fan blade.  The primer had dried after about five hours, so put on a couple of coats of the orange.  I will see what it looks like in the morning and decide is I should add a couple more light coats.  No runs that I can see.  

I am sure the factory did not put multiple coats of paint on engine parts, so I will probably just keep it like it is now unless I find spots that I missed.  

P1070735.JPG

P1070736.JPG

Jon, now would be a great time to change the water pump and fan drive. You can keep the old ones as emergency spares if they are still serviceable. Better to do this preventative maintenance in your shop rather than beside the road or in a parking lot. I did this with R4541. Get the heavy duty pump with the reinforcement bosses. This is a must for the supercharged cars.

I have been wanting to share with you how helpful your project blog was (and still is) when I was considering getting an Avanti. Through your blog I became familiar with the ins and outs of the Studebaker Avantis. I recently purchased one (63 R1) and got a great one. It had been in the same family for 40 years and always a Southern California car. Great original interior and very attractive exterior. However, there is much deferred maintenance and I am slowly getting through all the systems. Thanks again, for the time and efforts in posting all the work and progress on your Avanti.

(o[]o)

Edited by JWLawrence (see edit history)

JW, glad that you are still following along.  Post some pics of your Avanti on the blog.  Pls. feel free to add anything you want.

I will take a look at the water pump and decide what to do.  Thanks for the advice.  I did order some new spark plugs for the Avanti.  One thing that is not expensive on the car.

And I got Brownie, the 1979 Chev Sports Van, out on the road today.  Starts and runs great.  I think I am going to give it to Daniel the fabricator to put on some patch panels and make the van whole again.  

Jon, thanks for the invitation. The original interior and repainted exterior are in excellent condition. Lots of deferred maintenance, though. This works well for me as I am able to do most mechanical work, but not good at interiors and painting. Right now the next job is to change all the fluids. Any recommendations for the fluid to used in the Power Shift?

Make sure your water pump housing has the reinforcing bosses on the nose of the pump. I understand the pumps are the same except for the heavy duty housing needed because of the supercharger.

(o[]o)

Still Monday, Suzie M. sent me a couple of pics that she found in an on-line newspaper.  One is of Alice and I putting up the top to the 23 McLaughlin Buick, and the other is Suzie looking over the special features of Dave B. 1928 Buick runabout. Her car, Homer, a 1926 and all original, yellow and green body (paint is original also).   And here is a link to the article (but I have no idea how long it will be active).   http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/allentown/index.ssf/2016/07/buick_club_of_america_rolls_in.html#incart_river_index

-7b28d4dcb87fa2d9.jpg

-77c12a9312f1110a.jpg

It is Wednesday, August 10th.  Spent about four hours this morning working on the Avanti.  Put in new spark plugs to see if that will cure the slight misfire.  All the plugs look good, but one did have a little piece of carbon wedged in the electrode.  They all had good color.  Put back on the fan, degreased the engine as best I could.  The only leak that I can see in the power steering is the control valve.  It seems to be leaking around where it is connected to the steering rod that goes into it.  I have ordered a kit to rebuild it.  The kit consists of two seals.  So for $30 I am getting two $5 seals.  Oh well.  There is a rebuild service for the valve also, $250 exchange.  What is up with that?

Daniel, the Barney fabricator, has agreed to do the body panel repair on Brownie the van.  I will take it to him in a couple of weeks as we are heading off on vacation for a week. 

P1070747.JPG

P1070748.JPG

P1070750.JPG

P1070751.JPG

P1070749.JPG

Sunday, August 14th.  We are still in Seattle, WA and having a great time.  

I did get a short report from Camaro Steve on his '53 F100 P/U.  He said:  "Got new master cylinder in and brakes are good. Oil leak somewhere. Dan repaired floor plate, I got headlights in, removed old parking lights. Still worried about adjusting tranny kick down cable. Drove it up and down his driveway steering good, plenty of pep."

So it looks like the Barney will be out of the shop and back home in a day or so.  Will take pics when we get home.  Cannot wait to see how he runs and drives.  

Still Sunday, and we have a Barney report.

"We got oil leak stopped, freaking oil pan bolts, tightened them this morning, loose by lunch time, tightened again.

We think we got transmission kick-down cable adjusted correctly so put some gas in it and went round the block. Barney goes to muffler shop for Tuesday install and alignment.

Almost all wiring done and gauges are working. Dan has a couple of minor wiring issues to get done. Should be good after muffler shop, at least for now; and will be able to bring him home."

Jon, the plan is to change all the fluid in the Avanti. Not looking forward to jacking up the car, placing jack stands and doing all this work on my back on a creeper. Asked a friend who has a first-class restoration shop if he would be interested in the job. They are a bit slow right now so he agreed to do it. I bought all the fluids, filters, and gaskets. I expect there will be a "Corking Charge" for using what I will bring. We are scheduled for Tuesday, but as luck would have it we are getting soaked with an unseasonable rain storm that may last through the week. Three inches so far in my rain gauge. May postpone the work for a couple of days until the rain stops.

Overall, I am pleased with what I have found on the top side of the engine. I did lots of service and maintenance work. I wonder what awaits on the underside? Here are some photos of the Avanti. They were taken by Steve Snyder (Vault Classic Cars) from whom I bought it. Turns out I made contact with the party that sold it to Steve, and have received much information on the car going back to 1970. It was in their family for 40 years. John

IMG_4216.jpg

IMG_4177.jpg

IMG_4210.jpg

Nice Avanti! I wonder if it was originally painted white. If so it was a "Creamsicle" Avanti, not that there is any marketing connection to the ice cream treat, just a nickname that the white Avantis with orange interior picked up over the years. I've even been told by Dave Kinney, Avanti aficionado extraordinaire, that there exists a handful of black Avantis with the orange interior, one of which he owns. They call them Halloween Avantis - go figure. Do you have a build sheet on this one? It would be interesting to know if it was white from the factory - just curious. 

John,your Avanti looks great.  Does she drive as hood as it looks?  Keep posting pictures for us.

Tuesday, August 16th.  Only a couple more days in Seattle, and we get to go back to Virginia.  Fun, but we miss the farm after a few days.  

I did order new door gaskets for the 1979 Chevrolet Sportsvan.  Two front doors, side slider door and the two rear barn doors.  Bought them from LMC Truck.  I think that $163 is a good price.  

I plan on getting the van to Daniel next week to have him decide on what patch panels are needed for the body from LMC and what he needs to make.  I did send him some pics of the worst of the damage so I will post them here too.  The rear of the van is the worse.

My plan is to make the van presentable again and start using it on a regular basis.  The interior is OK for a conversion van, but it does need some new front seats.  I will post pics of the interior in a few days.  This is not a show piece project for sure.  

P1070738.JPG

P1070739.JPG

P1070737.JPG

P1070740.JPG

P1070741.JPG

P1070742.JPG

P1070743.JPG

P1070745.JPG

P1070746.JPG

The Avanti was originally painted gray. The new color is a 1970s Cadillac Amberlite Firemist. I have the Production Order, Production Inventory, and Dealer Invoice for the car. In addition, a detailed log maintained by the previous owner from the time he purchased it in 1971 to when it went to his daughter and son-in-law in 1987. When I say detailed, I mean every time he bought gas for the car. Also, I have many receipts from work done and parts bought for the car. Here is a photo from an advertisement with a gray-orange Avanti.

Avanti Gray and Orange.jpg

It is Thursday, August 18th.  Well, we made it home from our little trip to Seattle.  It was fun, but it is good to be home.  We did go to the Museum of Flight.  I did take pics and will post them tonight or tomorrow morning for all the airplane buffs.  I was most impressed with the WW 1 aircraft. 

This morning I cranked up Brownie the Van and headed over to Dan's shop.  He looked over the truck and we decided on the patch panels to order.  When I got home I ordered them to the tune of about $250.

I did see Barney, the F100 P/U, too.  He looks really good.  He now has exhaust and the alignment was done.  It still has a couple of more things to connect up.  A couple of gauge issues and Dan has to weld up brackets for the parking brake system.  He hopes to have it done tomorrow PM.   Steve told me that it drives really nice,   Cannot wait for my ride on Saturday.  

And we have a report from Greg also.  

"I've been keeping busy.   The maroon Avanti is still on the lift .   Clutch and transmission are back in place,  but things just don't go as smoothly as they did in the old days.   Case example:   Went to reinstall the drive shaft and found that I'd lost some needles from the u-joint.  With no spare at hand I tried the usual suspects for a new joint.  With part number revisions , the discarding of their old catalogs,  inexperienced counter help and computer assist  they were successful in ordering in the wrong one.    That cost me a day,  but a note to our (every Studebaker owner) good friend Bob Johnstone,  he supplied me with enough background information to locate the right one (in stock).   Last night I got it and and driveshaft installed.  A few more things to go yet,  linkage,  exhaust down pipe,  backup light switch yet to go,  little things that should be easy (?!) .   I work on it when I feel like it.

Otherwise,  busy here at work.   We're getting ready to mount the engine in this latest Curtiss Jenny.   I've test run it on the stand for a while.   I'm also getting serious about finishing up the Matheson.   The owner is looking forward to getting the car finished.   So am I.

Stormy weather.

GREG."

As promised here are a few pics of the Museum of Flight in Seattle, WA.  They have really expanded it over the years and now have a fine collection of aircraft.  Not all the aircraft are under cover, but most are.  They just completed a huge open hangar so more planes are under cover and somewhat protected.  Got to walk into the Concord.  Boy, that is a narrow, but long airplane, very impressive.  The first Boeing 747 test plane was cool also.  And Greg's company, the Wright Experience, had a plane there also.  Nice to have a connection to the museum.  I did work for Boeing for almost 30 years, so it was a coming home of sorts.

P1070759.JPG

P1070758.JPG

P1070756.JPG

P1070757.JPG

P1070755.JPG

P1070754.JPG

P1070752.JPG

P1070753.JPG

P1070760.JPG

P1070761.JPG

P1070762.JPG

P1070763.JPG

P1070764.JPG

P1070765.JPG

P1070766.JPG

P1070767.JPG

P1070768.JPG

P1070772.JPG

P1070773.JPG

P1070774.JPG

P1070775.JPG

P1070784.JPG

P1070786.JPG

P1070787.JPG

P1070788.JPG

P1070789.JPG

P1070790.JPG

P1070791.JPG

P1070792.JPG

P1070793.JPG

P1070794.JPG

P1070797.JPG

P1070798.JPG

P1070799.JPG

P1070800.JPG

P1070802.JPG

P1070803.JPG

P1070804.JPG

P1070805.JPG

P1070806.JPG

P1070807.JPG

P1070808.JPG

P1070809.JPG

P1070810.JPG

P1070811.JPG

P1070812.JPG

P1070813.JPG

P1070814.JPG

P1070815.JPG

P1070819.JPG

P1070821.JPG

P1070822.JPG

P1070823.JPG

P1070824.JPG

P1070825.JPG

P1070826.JPG

It's Friday, August 19th, and another car day.  Alan brought over his 2007 Porsche Boxster yesterday.  We put it on the lift and changed the oil.  Not a difficult job.  Today we are going to change the coolant.  We are are gong to use my new special extractor/filler tool.  I bought this to do the coolant on the Passat.  This will be a learning day.  Should be fun.

Here are a couple of pics of the car.  Opened the trunk expecting to see the top of the engine,  what is up with this?  Only visible from the underside of the car.

P1070828.JPG

P1070829.JPG

P1070830.JPG

P1070831.JPG

P1070832.JPG

P1070833.JPG

Still Friday, early PM.  We just got finished changing the coolant in the Porsche.  What a job!  A major effort to drain all the coolant out of the car, all 6 or more gallons.  Had to remove hoses to drain the heater, two radiator, engine and all the pipes.  Took us a while to figure out the vacuum refill tool, but when that was done, it filled the coolant with ease.  Now I know how to use it.  Alan just left after three hours of work.  And I finally got to see the engine, err well, sort of.  

The car is 9 years old and has only 18,000 miles on the clock.

P1070834.JPG

P1070835.JPG

P1070836.JPG

P1070838.JPG

P1070837.JPG

Yes, a very nice display of planes for sure! Got to see the nose of that great super plane, The Concorde. I saw a youtube of a Concorde right after it had landed and it was fairly steaming, crackling, popping and spitting, having just come in from supersonic. Damn awesome.

It's Sunday morning.  Headed over to Camaro Steve's place for a BBQ.  Great friends and food.  Barney, the 1953 Ford F100, is home.  Steve says that he is going to do the remaining work.  He has a turn signal light in the dash not work, the gas gauge on the dash is not working, and there are some minor leaks that need to be looked after.  He said that it runs and drives really good.  Steering is light and easy.  He took it to 65 mph, and it was waiting for more pedal.

So here are a few pics of Barney and the other cars that showed up.  I included a pic of Steve's take home detective police car.  

P1070839.JPG

P1070840.JPG

P1070841.JPG

P1070842.JPG

P1070843.JPG

P1070845.JPG

P1070846.JPG

P1070844.JPG

P1070847.JPG

It is Monday, August 22nd, AM.  Greg is working on his Maroon Avanti.  Remember that clutch issue?  Well the troubles do expand with our old cars.

"John,  here's the latest on the maroon car.    Noticed a dent in the bottom of the oil pan.   Not sure if it is an old dent or if I did it while supporting the rear of the engine for the clutch repair.  Can't risk starving the oil pump,  so    I can't rest until that dent is gone,  so Nate and I are dropping the pan.   Not exactly a day at the beach.   Exhaust,  starter,  the clean oil that I'd just changed ,  and the steering bellcrank must go.  Don't forget the pan breather pipe and dipstick bracket as well.  Oil filter might stay.

At this point the bellcrank is our hangup.  That pivot bearing is down and out (don't overlook the grease fitting),  bellcrank is loose but it won't move out of the way until some or all of the ball joints are knocked loose (power steering ram uncertain).

The pan is hanging but won't come out until that pesky bellcrank is out of the way.

To be continued.

GREG.

Tuesday morning, August 23rd, and we have a Greg Avanti report.

"Nice morning John,

Here's my progress.   Pan is down.    Suggested for you is before you remove the bellcrank pivot bearing,  drop the tie rod ends (if you're using a pickle fork) while the bellcrank is rigidly mounted,  then after the bearing is removed from the crossmember ,  even with the pitman arm reach rod and power steering ram still attached you can (at least I was) shove the steering arm forward to swing the bellcrank almost out of the way.  With some tugging I was able to pull the pan down.  Might scratch the paint on a Pebble Beach  beauty.

The dent worked out nicely using the handle end of my hammer.  Called in my order for a gasket set today.

Meanwhile,  back at the Matheson engine......things are happening."

Still Tuesday, early PM.  I gathered all my painting supplies and started work on the dump trailer.  I used an electric drill with a wire brush to knock down the rust spots.  I used 2 and a half quarts of Eastwood's Rust Encapsulator paint to do the complete bed and the front of the trailer.  Will dry rock hard in 36 hours.  I plan on spraying the outside of the trailer with gloss black Rustoleum.  But before I can do that I have to do some more prep.  Will go section by section over the next week.  I have to do some metal bending work on the fenders.  The previous owner beat them up pretty bad.  I can buy new ones for about $300, but will try to make these somewhat presentable.  

P1070850.JPG

P1070851.JPG

P1070852.JPG

P1070853.JPG

P1070854.JPG

Wedsday, PM, August 24th.  The farm had priority today, but I did get a few car stuff done.

Brownie the van now has all the parts necessary to fix those ugly, rusty panels.  New seals are here also.  Going to put in a better battery and then he is off to Daniel for body work.  I did pull off the spare tire carrier.  Gives the truck a much cleaner look, so I do not intend to put it back on.  

The Avanti dip stick for the auto transmission is suppose to be yellow.  Mine was broken and was able to get a NOS stick.  But it was not painted.  It is now.  The color is very close to original.

Camaro Seve called last night and said that Barney, the F100 p/u, puked all over the driveway.  Looks to be coolant, but he has not had a chance to check it yet.  He should be retired, then he would have the time.  

P1070855.JPG

P1070856.JPG

P1070859.JPG

P1070861.JPG

P1070862.JPG

P1070860.JPG

Jon, seeing your broken trans dip stick reminds me I need to secure the cap/stop on mine. It has become un-swedged (if that is a word). Tuesday, R4541 got a fluid change service. Engine - oil and filter (Shell Rotella 15W-40), transmission - fluid and filter (Type F fluid and service kit from Myers), differential (85W-140 GL-5), and brakes (DoT 3 and hoses). Turns out bleeding the old dirty fluid out of the brake system was the most time consuming, but we finally got clear fluid with no bubbles at all four corners. I think there is going to be a wheel cylinder servicing job in my future, but for now it has good clean fluid. There were no unpleasant surprises found during the service. Tom, Mike and Josh at CrossRoads Restorations here in Austin did the work. They have a drive-on lift and are experts. Earlier, I did the cooling system. Now, the only old and dirty fluid is in the power steering. I have no idea what is in there, and expect it will take a few drain-refill-drain-refill cycles to get new clean fluid in the system.

Any suggestions on which type of fluid to use to replace the old stuff?

Here is a photo of Josh doing the transmission servicing. The car in the background is a 1930 Packard which was a recently completed full restoration. It is Pebble Beach quality.

Thanks.

IMG_1237 copy.JPG

The Avanti looks really sweet up on the lift.  

The power steering takes the same fluid as in the tranny.  ATF type F.  Do not use the modern power steering fluid, it is really thin and finds it way out of all the seals.  I am using universal hydraulic fluid in mine as it leaks in various places.  The hydro fluid is thicker than ATF and tends to not leak as much.

Saturday, August 27th.  Brownie the 1979 Chev van was dropped off at Daniels shop this morning.  Surgery to replace several body panels will begin next week.

I got to drive Barney, the F100 Ford p/u.  It really drives well, tracks nicely with its 2005 Crown Vic suspension and steering/braking components.  The truck stops well, but you need considerable foot pressure to get to stop quickly.  Steve is thinking of getting a remote power brake kit.  We will see.  But the truck runs and drives very well.  A comfortable ride.

Dale, he had refilled the radiator and then left the pressure tab in up position.  Truck got warm and presto, water all over the driveway in the dark.  Steve was in a panic.  All is well now.

A few days ago we were at a "hood" aka neighborhood farm party when our next door neighbor said that she had a golf cart that had not run in three years or more.  So she called the local tractor store, and they came and got it.  Worked on it for a week and could not get it to run.  Replaced fuel and fuel filter, carb, battery, plugs.  Finally, they said it needed a new engine.  So she went and got it and now it was sitting again in front of the barn.  She wanted to sell it for $100 just to get rid of it.  She just had spent $800 on it.  What!  $800 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  What a rip off.

So I told here that we would come get it and I would see if I could get it running or at least confirm the new engine theory.  So yesterday we hauled it home, and I spent a couple of hours trying to get the thing to start.  I could see all the new parts.  Took a compression test of the two cylinders, 100 in one, and 50 in the other.  First good, second not so good, but it should run.  Put on the spark tester and both plugs were firing fine.  Still a no start.

Finally, with a battery charger on the battery I did get the engine to struggle and finally start. It would run but not start if the battery charger was not connected.   Figured it had to be a carb issue so pulled off the air filter and was about to pull it, when I thought.  Why not just replace the new battery, with an old car battery that I had laying around.  Actually, it just came out of Brownie the van.  Cobbled together the connections.  Hit the accelerator pedal which starts the engine/transmission and she started right up.  

Alice and I then headed down the road to the owner house on a test trip.  Ran great.  She was not home, but we left a note.  Going to pressure wash the cart tomorrow.  She can haggle with the farm store about replacing the battery.  Oh, she is a lawyer.  Here are some pics.

P1070865.JPG

P1070866.JPG

P1070867.JPG

P1070868.JPG

P1070869.JPG

• Like 1